Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
I was wondering why the sudden drought of patches...

Can't say I've ever seen another developer pushing out so many patches so fast.

So I can't understand the people going all doom for not having patch #12 within 2 weeks of launch, where most games I know get like 1 or 2, months later.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
To be fair, most games don't NEED 12 patches within 2 weeks of launch.

veteran
veteran
Yes, yes they do.
But instead they leave lingering bugs for a long time... and usually even forever.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
I dunno, I remember playing Orcs Must Die 2, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, and Dishonored on release. All of them were perfectly fine.

veteran
veteran
Any proper RPG's?
Even so I still think Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 got their share of patches, and are buggy still.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Depends on what you mean by 'proper' rpg.
Mass Effect series and DA:O I played on console pretty near release. Don't recall downloading patches for any of them.
Diablo 3 I played on release. Didn't like it, but it wasn't exactly buggy.
Blackguards I played the demo (essentially the first act) shortly after release, it seemed fine.
All of the games I've mentioned, I never saw anything in them that made be think "haha wow that's so broken". There's half a dozen things in DOS that provoke that reaction.

Don't get me wrong, I like DOS a lot. But right now when people ask me if they should buy it, I say "wait for it to go on sale". There's so many buggy and imbalanced things that I can't really recommend people play it right now, because I'm sure that it will be a lot better in a few months. It's also why I'm holding off on playing it again until a couple weeks/months from now. DOS is a game that was made with high ambitions - it's just missing the polish that it deserves.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dirigible
My Roderick was wearing some level 5 bracers because they gave +1 One Handed (and +1 Lockpicking, which I never used).
Were there bracers with better base armor? Yes.
Did I care enough to sacrifice 10% of my damage? No.

If you want to min/max your skill points then you're probably going to have to make some sacrifices elsewhere. Either that or do what I did with my Scarlet - if you get a really awesome piece of gear which gives bonuses you don't need, consider speccing into those bonuses. I turned my pure mage into a mage/rogue hybrid, and it worked out fine.

Being able to only be proficient in three skills has nothing to do with sacrifice that is just plain and simple bullshit.

And pay some damn attention, I'm not talking about 10% difference I'm talking about god damn 80% at the absolute minimum and sacrificing massive attribute bonuses and AP bonuses and speed bonuses and on and on and on. Being able to be proficient in 7 to 10 skills is sacrificing something else, being able to only be proficient in three is the lousiest god damn bullshit I've ever seen in a leveling system.

veteran
veteran
You say that the leveling system is worthless, but I'm really not sure how.

I wasn't being very careful about where I spent my points, I still wound up with enough points to do everything I wanted, and the game DID wind up being too easy (I switched to hard difficulty, and it was still a breeze).

I guess you're having trouble, but there have been multiple threads asking for a harder difficulty, and the general consensus is that the game becomes too easy later on. Are you playing on Easy? Because if you're not playing on Easy, and you think the game is too hard, then I think maybe you should switch difficulties.

The game wasn't particularly difficult, I just couldn't do things the way I wanted 99% of the time....like when I wanted to craft something or sneak somewhere or whatever. And why would anyone want to have a more difficult time? To repeat the same battles and conversations over and over and overall just waste my fucking time? Don't upgrade your starting gear at all and play with an all melee party....there you go, problem solved. Or better yet, just fucking save and load again. I really don't have the time or the fucking patience for that bullshit. Want a hard time? Or just go find your local gangs and piss them off until they hand you a few beatings that should increase the difficulty settings for walking down the street.....what's that? You're not going to do it? But it's too fucking easy to just go to the store, the consensus says it's too easy. If any kid of mine ever asks for something to be harder he'd get the beating of a fucking lifetime.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 01/08/14 10:26 AM.
veteran
veteran
An actual RPG with choice and consequences and various options.
So no, DA:O and ME don't count (DA:O got a few patches, ME2 is a broken mess and they never even fixed that :/)...

Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate (2) and Knights of the Old Republic (2) and all those old games do. And look at the gigantic fanpatches because developers can't finish them up.
Not to mention the clusterbug that is known as "The Elder Scrolls" and Bethesda is too lazy to fix up properly...

M
M
The easiest way to get more points is to trade off talents. Trade three talents for ability points and (unless I'm mistaken) you can max out two skills.

As it stands you cap out at 49 ability points without any bonuses at all. You receive 7 talents. A character that sacrificed 6 of those talents would be able to cap out 7 skills. That's not lone wolf. With lone wolf it's closer to 9 with a single purchase of the books.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
@Hassat you're essentially asking if I've played any game that was released more than a decade ago, on release. I can't remember, dude. I probably played Kotor 1&2 on release, since I was pretty hyped for them. Kotor1 was fine. I know that Kotor2 has a reputation for having a broken ending, but it honestly didn't stick out to me at the time.
TES series has bugs, yeah, but again - nothing that made me go 'jesus that's so broken'. Nothing like stealth, or tenebrium, or resistance, or invisibility, or telekinetic, or glass cannon in DOS.

@Darth Crafting and Sneaking are two of the easiest skills to max out. They both get free ranks from traits, and crafting gets another free rank from a talent. If you weren't able to max them out, it's because you didn't try. Hint : you don't need EVERY character to have rank 5 sneak.
You have the weirdest, lousiest attitude towards this game. Basically you're saying "If I can't do anything I want, all the time, then the game is worthless and shit and I hate it".
Again, I have to ask if you were playing on Easy. Because if you weren't playing on Easy, you have no business complaining when people ask for the game to be harder.

Last edited by dirigible; 01/08/14 05:12 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
the whole company on vacation ?
no one to check forum or make a post on social media website ?
@Darth_Trethon face it ..this is half assed game "need" ton of patching .
and i don't understand why your precious company didn't deliver half of the kickstarter goals ?
if they will release it later where's the post stating that ?
and i don't think they are coming back from this vacation .

Support
Support

Most of the company is on vacation (until Monday), though some are still working part time.

B
stranger
stranger
B
you're volunteer moderator live in Canada how do you know some still working part time ?
what they working on ? is there progress post/video as Larian always did during the kickstarter
since the game unfinished yet .

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by BuffMePlz
you're volunteer moderator live in Canada how do you know some still working part time ?

I emailed Larian about my damaged art book. I received this response:

Hi,

Larian Studios employees are out of office for 2 weeks now, I will relay your issue to the person(s) responsible for the KS backers and they should sort it out with you on or after the 4th of august.

Best Regards,
Lorean

Larian Studios

So, yes, most of them are on vacation, and yes, there is still a skeleton crew in the office.

The Dude abides.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by BuffMePlz
you're volunteer moderator

I work for Larian; the recent green named moderators volunteered to help delete spam. In addition to support email still being answered (if slower than usual), Stauff1138 has continued to do Mac support in the Technical Issues forum, etc.

veteran
veteran
@Hassat you're essentially asking if I've played any game that was released more than a decade ago, on release. I can't remember, dude. I probably played Kotor 1&2 on release, since I was pretty hyped for them. Kotor1 was fine. I know that Kotor2 has a reputation for having a broken ending, but it honestly didn't stick out to me at the time.
TES series has bugs, yeah, but again - nothing that made me go 'jesus that's so broken'. Nothing like stealth, or tenebrium, or resistance, or invisibility, or telekinetic, or glass cannon in DOS.

The sad thruth yes, that it's been that long for proper RPG's, wouldn't you agree. DA:O went the right way, before BioWare just had to murder it in the most brutal manner with DA2.

If it didn't... that's... weird. Also the KOTORs where both amazingly easy (much like other modern games) they didn't even need what you qualify as broken to cakewalk you through it.
Also, I guess you got lucky with TES then. I've played them all fully patched, and still thought that. All required extensive manual patching by fans since Bethesda doesn't care. It's engine-issues linger for centuries, stuff broken in Morrowind still around in Skyrim... all Fallout 3 bugs in Fallout: New Vegas (and all press critising Obsidian for them... even if they conveniently didn't mention them about Fallout 3, besides being exactly the same issues).

A game with so many options is bound to have some broken, overpowered etc. stuff. Sadly the same broken and overpowered things are also seen in many other games where the bar has been set so low, or they've made so many games like that already, you wonder how they couldn't have learned yet. smirk

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
I take it back, I do remember broken things in Oblivion (and Morrowind, and to a lesser degree Skyrim). The crafting could be taken advantage in them to produce overpowered spells, potions, and gear.
But the crafting system wasn't INHERENTLY broken. If you ignored the OP combinations, it was a perfectly functional part of the game. You had to want to break the game, in order to break the game.

Maybe it's just that I tend to focus more on game design now, but things like Glass Cannon and Leech make me wonder if Larian tested the game at all. You can't play the game with those abilities and NOT think they're incredibly ridiculously way better than everything else.

And why would anyone want to have a more difficult time? To repeat the same battles and conversations over and over and overall just waste my fucking time? Don't upgrade your starting gear at all and play with an all melee party....there you go, problem solved. Or better yet, just fucking save and load again. I really don't have the time or the fucking patience for that bullshit. Want a hard time? Or just go find your local gangs and piss them off until they hand you a few beatings that should increase the difficulty settings for walking down the street.....what's that? You're not going to do it? But it's too fucking easy to just go to the store, the consensus says it's too easy.

Haha, wow, probably the worst attitude I've ever seen expressed on this forum. Sounds like you should be playing BioWare games.

If any kid of mine ever asks for something to be harder he'd get the beating of a fucking lifetime.

Even better.

Last edited by Fireblade; 02/08/14 07:44 AM.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe it's just that I tend to focus more on game design now, but things like Glass Cannon and Leech make me wonder if Larian tested the game at all. You can't play the game with those abilities and NOT think they're incredibly ridiculously way better than everything else.

I am playing in co-op with my friend. My witch character has both leech and glass canon, however, until now, I do not find that any of these traits is over-powered (my character is level 12 right now). Leech heels ridiculously little HP - only 6 or 7 HP if my witch walks into a blood puddle. And although glass canon gives my witch many APs to spend, she is really very fragile - one well-placed arrow from an enemy archer or 2 staff of magus attacks and my witch needs to be resurrected. So, my witch constantly needs all kinds of armour buffs, healing spells and potions, which kind of really balances her excess of APs. All over the forums, I have seen people complaining about Leech and glass canon, but it has not been my experience so far that these traits are op. Maybe it is just because my witch is still only level 12 (and I'll start complaining after a few more levels), but right now I do not have any problems with these talents.

Last edited by Elwyn; 02/08/14 08:52 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard