Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by tx3000
You can show me videos of an archer kicking ass and I'll still tell you Archery is a bad class.

You guys are great for actually testing and proving this guy wrong about his assumptions, but he's already told you facts will not be changing his mind.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Technically, these are pictures wink

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
@tx3000, your chance to hit is the number which you see right next to the attack symbol. In one case it is 46 %, in the other case it is 31 %. The chance to hit is defined as the successful chance to hit a particular enemy in a particular situation: it depends on your offence rating, your dexterity, the distance and the enemy's defence rating. What is fixed by the dexterity is your offence rating which you can see in the character's sheet. It is not possible to calculate the abstract chance to hit without knowing the enemy's defence rating, the distance etc.

Btw, armour is irrelevant for the chance to hit. It is only relevant for the damage reduction if the enemy is actually hit. Defence rating is the one number which is responsible for dodging of attacks.

stranger
stranger
A few pointers which I fail to see mentioned, but I suspect a certain individual wouldnt listen anyway wink

* Archery has good range, at my current lvl its 26m. quite a bit more than Jahan's magic. Sure I might miss, but range is range ...and combined with controleffects ranged firepower rocks.

* (not that I have gotten there yet) but at marksmanship lvl 5 you can get 'quickdraw' (I think its called) giving -1AP to shooting actions.

* Special arrows are for special occatioins giving a huge flexibility of effects, in my last combat I "defrosted" Madora by shooting her with a firearrow laugh

My biggest problem in rpgs is optimizing too much to the point that it gets boring, sigh!
R
RtM Offline
R
Surprising people still take him serious.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
You people need to grasp how to read the game.

Let say a baseball represents a 10% chance to hit. When you attack any enemy with that baseball. It doesn't all of a sudden change into an orange. It's still a baseball no matter what.

The game may take and change the size of that baseball and how it impacts even change the color, but it cannot change what it is which is a baseball. So the fact is the set thing you threw is a baseball.

So if you have a 10% chance to hit an enemy when attacking, then no matter what the number says on screen you're still delivering a 10% chance to hit no matter what. The game doesn't change the 10% it only adjusts it accordingly just like the game cannot change WHAT was thrown.

Last edited by tx3000; 05/08/14 11:18 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by RtM

Admittedly, I was curious what would happen if you tried to talk to him, instead of just getting mad. Also, I don't think he's a troll, because I think he really believes what he's saying (and, as I understand them, trolls tend to take up an antogonistic position just for kicks).

/shrug

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
If you don't grasp that if you have a 10% chance to hit, and the game only adjusts that number so it's still 10% it's just now adjusted, then none of you know how to read this game at all.

Set numbers DO NOT CHANGE they only get adjusted.

Last edited by tx3000; 05/08/14 11:21 PM.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
You're all idiots if you think a set number you have gets lowered by an enemy.

If you don't grasp that if you have a 10% chance to hit, and the game only adjusts that number so it's still 10% it's just now adjusted, then none of you know how to read this game at all.

Then, let me ask you the following question: Where in the game can you see the "actual chance to hit" and not the "modified chance to hit"? How do you know that your archer has the "actual chance to hit" of 49 % and not of - say - 100 %?

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
In your stat screen

This whole thing reminds me of how my friend didn't understand the a spell was missing on some targets even though the spell says right on it has 100% chance of being cast

Unless muted you will always be able to cast a scroll or spells effect. People will take the Failed aspect and think the spell wasn't cast because it said failed..No the spell was cast it's the effect that failed.

I had to explain that the 100% chance to cast and the effect of the cast spell taking hold are 2 completely different things.

This whole archery argument people are saying is the exact same thing. They think that chance to hit chances based on enemies which is false, it never changes the number is only adjusted, but the base number never changes.

It's like you're armor rating, it says a set number.

Last edited by tx3000; 05/08/14 11:40 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I did a save reload test on the same enemy, and every time I hit the same enemy with a regular arrow it took out 1/2 - 3/4 of it's health, all elemental arrows only took up less than - 1/4 of their health and that was only due to some of the damage on the arrow itself, the elemental damage was practically useless because half the enemies in the game never get affected by the elemental damage from arrows. This was a direct result of the reload test I did.

Your problem is you don't even offer direct combat logs to support your argument. 1/4 hp of an enemy could range from 50-500, easily.

But you have missed some things I think. For instance my Ricochet hits 5 targets for around 120 average. So if I get 5 enemies, I just did an instant 600 damage. This is nearly double the highest damage output of anyone in my group's single attacks. We are mostly lvl 11-12, Knight, Rogue/Marks, and 2 mages. Arrow spray can shoot 16 shots, at 50 damage a pop, thats 800. It is a lot more reliable then other mid-end spells, for getting that high end dam.

Also a marksmen gets a pretty amazing ability early on, with Tactical Retreat (leap).

Lastly I think you drastically underplayed the power of special arrows. I have seen posts about fights people cannot beat, where I used a few special arrows and just controlled the entire fight. Literally charm arrow, hide, watch the other enemies rip apart themselves 1 by 1. A dunrandrea plant and an arrow head, costly? Huh. I dont waste elementals on arrows, man up and buy them if you get too low of one type. I have seemingly endless amounts, even sold off some like weakeness, speed debuff, ect. Later I found a fight I needed them badly for, so I wont have less then 2 of each type, or else im failing as an archer. Gold is so plentiful, I cant imagine this being a problem for anyone that knows how to play the game (crafting, blacksmithing, stealing).

As for making the elemental arrows, they should be expensive tbh, I think vendors should reflect that better. I have about 7-10 of each arrow type, play on hard, and fight enemies 4+ levels higher. Game is almost brokenly easy, due to my archer.

Rethink yours, I have- Bully (50% dam against crippled, knocked, slowed enemies), Guerrilla (double damage out of stealth, which dont work with abilities sadly), Quickdraw (1 ap off range attacks cost). I promise you its worth the wait, im not even full marksmen (bow is only 2 points), balanced attributes (8str, 14 dex, 11 perc, 8 con- roughly is his stats). To wear heavier armor, still do solid dagger damage, and can survive a little damage if I dont get off one of my several get out of jail free cards, and a decent ranged damage/crit.

Could also be my bow, I have a lvl 11 legendary bow like 150 + 20 restrung standard damage, 25 water, 45 fire (joshua spice). And bunch of bonuses on it that I need. For the most part, I can get a consistent 150 hp basic hit. Doubled when in stealth.

Whoa, i just rambled on for a hot minute.. Basically I wish I went a more pure archer with my guy, because he has always been the clutch player who pulls us out of a certain end. Dont lose all faith in your archer yet.

Originally Posted by Armakoir
Originally Posted by RtM

Admittedly, I was curious what would happen if you tried to talk to him, instead of just getting mad. Also, I don't think he's a troll, because I think he really believes what he's saying (and, as I understand them, trolls tend to take up an antogonistic position just for kicks).

/shrug

It's kinda interesting to see him ignore empirical evidence and claim that the data we've seen and shown is just the game lying to us and that the figures don't actually change under the hood. That and his continued avoidance of answering questions, he just sticking to "my Dex is 11, my archer should be Robin Hood and able to hit amazingly"* not his actual words.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
In your stat screen

Ah, OK, I think I know what you are talking about. I think you are talking about "critical chance" in the stat screen, don't you? Aside from the resistances it is the only percentage number. Well, critical chance is NOT a chance to hit - it is a chance to make a critical hit to the enemy IF you actually hit it (which is based on your chance to hit). A critical hit deals extra damage to the enemy.

Below the critical chance, you can actually see the offence and the defence ratings. These are the numbers (among other parameters) which are resposible for your chance to hit and to be hit.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Oh for fucks sake you people are so stupid.

Open your fucking inventory and READ YOUR CHANCE TO HIT see the number

Now get into a battle and hover your mouse over an enemy and look at the number then go into your inventory again and try telling me the % to hit is actually changed ON YOUR INVENTORY SCREEN. YOU WILL SEE IT DOES NOT which means YOU'RE CHANCE TO HIT IS THE SAME NO MATTER WHAT.

The number you are seeing when hovering over an enemy is an ADJUSTED VERSION OF the ACTUAL NUMBER YOU HAVE in your inventory.

If your inventory number shows 59% hovering over an enemy that has enemy and shows 30% chance to hit WILL NOT DROP THE NUMBER IN YOUR INVENTORY FROM 59% DOWN to 30%. But yet that's what you guys are all saying. The number is LOCKED IN PLACE and fighting enemies DOES NOT CHANCE THE % IT ONLY ADJUSTS IT ACCORDING TO THE DAMN ENEMY.

You only have one chance to hit number on your character that gets adjusted depending on the enemy.

You all need to learn how to read this game before dictating to me I'm wrong.

Last edited by tx3000; 05/08/14 11:49 PM.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
There is no "chance to hit" number in the character sheet - there is only "critical chance" which is NOT the chance to hit an enemy (but rather the chance to do extra damage IF you hit it)

Again, quoting from the game's manual:

Critical chance:
A percentage representing how much of a chance
your character has to strike a critical hit.

Offense rating:
Determines your character's chance of hitting an
enemy.

Defence rating:
Determines how hard it is for others to successfully hit you with a melee or ranged attack.

Last edited by Elwyn; 05/08/14 11:52 PM.
R
RtM Offline
R
Apple Pie

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg white

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
Bake at 375ï½° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.

RtM Are you sure you meant to share an Apple Pie recipe and not a Humble Pie recipe for poor tx3000?

Oh for fucks sake you people are so stupid.

Open your fucking inventory and READ YOUR CHANCE TO HIT see the number

Where? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296472076

R
RtM Offline
R
Just trying to keep going along with the ridiculousness of the thread.

Originally Posted by RtM
Just trying to keep going along with the ridiculousness of the thread.

*chuckles* not a bad idea. I should be asleep, it's 2am but I keep wanting to see where this goes next.

Unfortunately some of my fav recipes used a Thermomix (fancy food processor/cooker), but I'll trade you this rather scrummy Wheaten Bread recipe for your Apple Pie wink

Irish soda bread / Wheaten Bread
★★★★★
Bread
cook 45-55 ∙ difficulty Easy

INGREDIENTS

250g plain white flour
250g plain wholemeal flour
100g porridge oats
3 Tbsp Bran
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
25g butter , cut in pieces
500-560ml buttermilk

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C and dust a baking sheet with flour. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Pour in the buttermilk and mix it in quickly with a table knife, then bring the dough together very lightly with your fingertips (handle it very, very gently). Now shape it into a flat, round loaf measuring 20cm/8in in diameter.

Put the loaf on the baking sheet and score a deep cross in the top. (Traditionally, this lets the fairies out, but it also helps the bread to cook through.) Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If it isn't ready after this time, turn it upside down on the baking sheet and bake for a few minutes more.

Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a clean tea towel (this keeps the crust nice and soft) and leave to cool. To serve, break into quarters, then break or cut each quarter in half to make 8 wedges or slices - or simply slice across. Eat very fresh.

Last edited by tarasis; 06/08/14 12:12 AM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Now I'm hungry... could someone please explain to me the chance of hitting the Wendy's drive through?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard