Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
I imagine it is true that higher difficulty is something which Larian can rely on the modding community to provide, rather than provide it themselves. Still, I believe it's in their best interest to make higher difficulties accessible. If they're not going to include a properly challenging difficulty in the core game itself, having some kind of "featured mods" or "mod of the week" as a regular feature of their website, complete with archives, would be a good idea; wanting a higher difficulty is a very common desire, and they'll have a more satisfied playerbase if players are aware of which third-party they could provide such a thing.

Or if not Larian, maybe someone whom we could trust as "pseudo-official" (Raze? another moderator? not me, I'm going to be busy :p) could do a Mod Review thread in the Mods forum, sticky that thing, and then there could be some kind of official guidepost towards the Good Stuff.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 07/08/14 09:56 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
This post I made for another thread really belongs in here:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=539195#Post539195

Cliff Notes: The Initiative bonus from Leadership is making this game too easy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Armakoir
I agree. I'd set it equal to the Leadership rank (theoretical max of +8, but the most you'd see in practice is +7, and that's with maximum commitment). Right now +5 for Leadership 1 is way too strong for an early bonus, and +10 for the higher leadership is such a huge bonus it has no right existing at all.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 07/08/14 10:17 PM.
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Mental Poison

The way Larian failed, is they made too good of a game. The content is meant for replay value, people do it all. I guess you missed the part where I explained how you could save me the ironman speech about how you play to purposefully limit yourself. You dont need to if you dont go overboard on a single game. If you are one of those people with 400+ hours in (Dont feel ashamed, several people in my Friends list have), you wont convince anyone that you're not well versed in the mechanics, exploring and doing EVERYTHING, and power playing. Period, for me I would say anyone over 100 hours, who is familiar with turn based RPGs, has the right to ask for harder difficulty. That is why I informed you of there ALREADY being a difficulty mod. This should of let you know that yes, the game can get easier for some players. It seems you're demanding some form of apology from Larian, or..? Just DL the difficulty mod, or is that too easy to do and therefor you refuse to do it?

[...]

Im from America and even I am not as entitled to think Larian owes me more work. You are 'waiting' around for Larian to fix your vague and poorly worded problems with their game? They owe us nothing, they gave us a great game, especially when they offer such an integrated editor for modding.

This is the shaming part, putting 1/10th of the time people have played DOS, into toying with the editor, you probably could have already achieved some of things you wanted.

Here is a link to something created by patience and time saved not open endly complaining on discussion forums- http://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin/mods/9/?

Hello America guy.
I hope I haven't misread your post like you did with mine. Even if I'd love to be as agressive as you are.

I told many times about my DOS experience. So I won't tell you again, just go back and read. Just to say : I've played around 37 hours till now.
Second : before thinking of replay value, I'm talking about "first play value".
Yeah, I know now, if I'll start again the vanilla game someday, I will build my own challenges. Too bad the first game is just a tutorial of what to do to have a nice game when I'll replay it. Yeah, I should start again with my friend now to do again the first half. It's the way it should be with every good game isn't it?
Third : yeah, I can download the mod now. Or wait a better mod. Or maybe a patch from Larian.
Guess what? I came here to explain my situation and ask if something was planned by them to know if I'll have to wait some time before playing again. Yeah, a question in their forum. A question about their game. I know, I am crazy.

Next, I don't understand why being in America is relevant here ("Im from America and even I am not as entitled to think Larian owes me more work."). Did I miss an announcement where America's players have more or less rights when it comes to Larian?
And for the "shaming part", are you really trying to blame me for not fixing anything cause I have the editor?
Guess what? I don't want to. And it seems I am free to not doing what I don't want to, like modding a game. You know freedom in America, don't you.
Now, if you had time to read the complete previous posts, you'll notice that I've been polite. And that I didn't say Larian owed me anything or asked for apologies.
I am waiting to have news about what they plan to do about the difficulty curve. And for my "poorly worded problems", I have to thank you for being so kind to me. As you may have guessed, english is not my first language. Guess what? It's not Larian either. But everyone speaks english to make this forum accessible for the most. And I think I put much time trying to be clear about my problems which were deeply described. I am sure even you could understand what I meant.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Alkamiga
Hello America guy.
I hope I haven't misread your post like you did with mine. Even if I'd love to be as agressive as you are.

It's a Jersey thing. Also aggressive is spelled with 2 Gs.

I told many times about my DOS experience. So I won't tell you again, just go back and read. Just to say : I've played around 37 hours till now.
Second : before thinking of replay value, I'm talking about "first play value".
Yeah, I know now, if I'll start again the vanilla game someday, I will build my own challenges. Too bad the first game is just a tutorial of what to do to have a nice game when I'll replay it. Yeah, I should start again with my friend now to do again the first half. It's the way it should be with every good game isn't it?

Yikes I see why you don't do the aggressive thing, that attempt was dreadful. Subsequent play through(s) are not really relevant, if you're 37 hours in and having ZERO challenge, you should be stomping through the game. When things seem at all to easy, I usually go hit the main story and almost always find a decently challenging fight.

This is earnest inquiry, are you skipping ahead properly? Of course jumping too far makes some fights impossible, but even the crazy fights can challenge a real tough guy. Non-main one is the Beast of burden traveling merchant. That goblin is a monster and I was able to take him down at level 8, with hit %s under 30 even with buffs. Some people at level 12ish claim him to be an impossible encounter.

Third : yeah, I can download the mod now. Or wait a better mod. Or maybe a patch from Larian.
Guess what? I came here to explain my situation and ask if something was planned by them to know if I'll have to wait some time before playing again. Yeah, a question in their forum. A question about their game. I know, I am crazy.

No no, don't get so sensitive on the internet. I honestly am just like everyone else, a troll deep down. If you need to take a break because the game is too easy, refusing to install fixes (I play on the NORMAL setting of Source Difficulty, it seriously amps it up) to a problem in your gameplay. Then you're trolling.

You got plenty of answers, there is something planned- A mod. For now. No, they haven't released a video in front of a podium addressing your questions. I know, crazy right.

Next, I don't understand why being in America is relevant here ("Im from America and even I am not as entitled to think Larian owes me more work."). Did I miss an announcement where America's players have more or less rights when it comes to Larian?

It's just a common stereotype that American gamer's are very entitled. It boils down to you saying you are unhappy with your purchase, right? You found the game so easy at 37 hours in, that both you and your coop partner stopped playing. You seek information directly from the developer to know if they are patching the difficulty soon.

Is that all you wanted to do? Cause forums at best, have community managers who moderate, screen, and bring issues to the teams attention. Usually that is, I honestly dont know the full workings of this forum, but I havent seen a Dev reply directly to a post yet.

Its mod or bust.

And for the "shaming part", are you really trying to blame me for not fixing anything cause I have the editor?
Guess what? I don't want to. And it seems I am free to not doing what I don't want to, like modding a game. You know freedom in America, don't you.

Freedom, we know that. Its what we say when we want your natural resources. 'Merica.

No no, im saying people already did it. You are being a bit of a snob, demanding Larian patch your spotty detailed problems.

Now, if you had time to read the complete previous posts, you'll notice that I've been polite. And that I didn't say Larian owed me anything or asked for apologies.

Thats kinda true haha, if I wasn't on the internet I would kinda feel dickish.

I am waiting to have news about what they plan to do about the difficulty curve. And for my "poorly worded problems", I have to thank you for being so kind to me. As you may have guessed, english is not my first language. Guess what? It's not Larian either. But everyone speaks english to make this forum accessible for the most. And I think I put much time trying to be clear about my problems which were deeply described. I am sure even you could understand what I meant.

If you can speak Larian's native tongue, I would recommend doing so. Butchering the forum colloquial, get you nowhere.

Worst part of the whole thing? I too would love to hear of plans to balance AI and make a more difficult game.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A

I havent seen a Dev reply directly to a post yet.

You should check again.
Because they do. But I am not sure that going in never ending aggressive talks will make them answer here.

I came here to explain my situation and ask if something was planned by them...

You are 'waiting' around for Larian to fix your vague and poorly worded problems with their game? They owe us nothing, they gave us a great game, especially when they offer such an integrated editor for modding.
This is the shaming part, putting 1/10th of the time people have played DOS, into toying with the editor, you probably could have already achieved some of things you wanted.

[...]

I honestly am just like everyone else, a troll deep down

[...]
Worst part of the whole thing? I too would love to hear of plans to balance AI and make a more difficult game.

It makes sense then. Bothering me for my poor english (when you totally understood me) while you actually think my question is a good one...
So please stop poison the atmosphere. Share your thoughts about AI, what should be done to increase difficulty.
And you're welcome to send me private messages to help me increase my english level.

Last edited by Alkamiga; 08/08/14 07:12 AM.
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Originally Posted by Armakoir
I agree. I'd set it equal to the Leadership rank (theoretical max of +8, but the most you'd see in practice is +7, and that's with maximum commitment). Right now +5 for Leadership 1 is way too strong for an early bonus, and +10 for the higher leadership is such a huge bonus it has no right existing at all.

I have read your quote, Armakoir.
I'll try to play some fights without leadership to see. Not playing first anymore may be interesting.

Nerfing Initiative bonus to set it equal to the Leadership rank seems to be a good thing.

Last edited by Alkamiga; 08/08/14 07:25 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M

I havent seen a Dev reply directly to a post yet.

You should check again.
Because they do. But I am not sure that going in never ending aggressive talks will make them answer here.

Yah but they didn't, as is obvious.

It makes sense then. Bothering me for my poor english (when you totally understood me) while you actually think my question is a good one...
So please stop poison the atmosphere. Share your thoughts about AI, what should be done to increase difficulty.
And you're welcome to send me private messages to help me increase my english level.

Get a Rosetta stone, to quote a wise man "I don't feel like it".

I dont think you even asked a question, so I couldnt of thought it a good one. The AI can be improved, this we agree on. I do not think it needs to be overboard, just simply little things like an Ice Element not trotting through molten fire.

Like I said, your problem is you need a HARD(ER) mode. If the mod doesnt help accomplish this for you, I can promise standing around talking about perfect AI will not do so either.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Please Poison, before "thinking" about what I asked or not, do something : read.
In my opening : "Do you plan to work on the AI, or to add a difficulty level?"
It is a question, isn't it?

And when you said you "haven't seen a Dev reply directly to a post yet", the fact is : they sometimes directly reply. And so you're wrong about this.
The fact they didn't answer yet, or maybe they won't at all is irrelevant : I asked a question to a developer about his game on a forum where he sometimes replies. And there is nothing wrong about it.

To finish : I don't only "need a hard mode". There is already a "hard mode". But for many people, the game gets way easier even in this hard mode when you reach levels 10+.
As i asked a some time ago :
"Do they plan to repair/improve the difficulty curve anytime?"

So.. I only want to know what they plan to do about the AI, eventually balancing late game to keep the game challenging as it was in its first half. Or, why not, introducing a harder setting.
And I am sure many modders would love to know the answers to these questions, before spending hours of work on something Larian may add/fix soon.

Last edited by Alkamiga; 08/08/14 04:44 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I'm only level 4 on my first through but I have a strong RPG background.

A lot of the complains from the OP is good but not necessary.

For instance: The game was programed where regular enemy always aggro nearest target, why? so a fight won't get overwhelm by getting all your glass cannon butcher via focus fire.

Think about it. You'll die.

The game become easy because you play to much. It simple as that.

The second part is powerful skill books. I notice some of the NPC carry level 10 skill book where I really want to have but I can't because I'm still level 4. Just imagine if i could.. i would breeze through the game.

Since the OP offer constructive feebacks about the game being easy after level 10 and he played on hard... well that mean all Larian need to do is nerf some of the overpower skill books and make the player work harder and longer to win a fight. And if a player choose to play on hard mode, every regular fight should last for 15-30 minute long. Go higher and it should be in the 40-60 minutes for each fight but more importantly potion and healing spell should have a longer cool down.

Problem solved.

ps. I really want to see some kind of proof, like a video gameplay from the OP on what it mean to be easy for him.

I'm certain his damage will be extremely high due to some of the over powered skill books he use.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
There you go. I know the damage is not perfect.

I want some challenge so I can start putting rubies on my gears and other stuffs. Like something that can kill me (lol) before I kill it.
[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
The A.I. is actually quite good. One of the better, more diverse ones ive seen in any similar game.

The actual issue is that it cannot compensate for the overabundance of some other game features, loot, equipment, items, different resources etc.

Which is all due to the general tone of the game. High fantasy epic action romp.

besides that, you're all a bit too late in talking about this. six miles ahead of you.

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Why are we late?

Condor : I won't be able to record any game session or upload any screenshot for a while, cause my mate (who has the save files) is in holidays. So I won't play for 1 week or 2.
But to answer to your question : I didn't have to think about AI, or anything about gameplay, when I was level 4.
I was playing, and I loved the game I was playing. So I would have said, 3 weeks ago, that there is nothing wrong in the game (except some strange AI's beheaviour, but well, nothing important).
Then I reached level 10 and moved to the other map. And that's when I started to notice fights were easier.
Someone talked about it earlier in this topic : it feels like ennemies should have been buffed to make them like 1 or 2 levels higher. Or it feels that the fact we've leveled up wasn't compensate by better strategy from the AI, or an equivalent stats leveling for mobs.

And I didn't want to have so great resistances like haxingW. As you can read from my previous posts, I played the "simple way", without min-maxing, rerolling, abuses from talents...
I guess you'll make a more accurate review when you reach level 12.
But here is an advice : have fun, don't try to be the most powerful, don't take leech, fight bosses when you have the same level (or even a level less). And I guess you could read from other forums about people who have played the last quarter of the game without any fun from fights, or who went from normal setting to hard one in level 8-9 and still found the game too easy in its second map.

PS I hope my bad english is still understandable.

Last edited by Alkamiga; 09/08/14 03:12 PM.
I wish more players were like "Lobos Jr". He didn't write a forum post about how Dark Souls is too easy and demanded that From Software fixes it. He just set up challenges for himself and finished the game with them:

Lobos' History of Dark Souls Challenge Runs

Dark Souls I

Dagger Only All Bosses
Fist Weapon Only
Shield Only
Whip Only
Bow Only
Random Stats (roll to dump stats at each bonfire)
'Use What You See'
Deprived Run (using only deprived starting gear)
Broken Sword Only
No Roll/Shield run
Kirk Armor/Orange Charred Ring run
Community Run (Xbox)
Community Run (PC)
Cursed/Calamity/Dusk Crown/No Shield run
Consumable Only run
Left-handed weapon run
Whip Only All Bosses
No heal/no bonfire run
No HUD (even menus) + Great Scythe Run
Catalyst Melee-Only run
Sorcery-Only run
Punch-Only Challenge: Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
FPS (bow aim mode) challenge
Pike Charge-Only run
Dragon Breath Only Run
Keyboard & Mouse Run (sorcery)
Andre Boxing Challenge (caestus + 0, SL 1)
Miracle Only Run
Cheese All Bosses Run
Not Enough Stats for Weapons Run
Community Pacifist Run (PS3)
Mirror Mod Speedrun
Monk Challenge (Only Caestus damage and Miracle heals)
SL1 NG+7 Fresh Start challenge
Ravelord run (only using Gravelord Sword Dance)
Dragon Weapon R2 Only run
Kirk Armor Roll Only run (minus 4kings frown )
Soul Arrow (regular) only
Dragonbone Fist R2 only
Mimic Head, No Self-Healing run
Perma-Gravelorded run
Aggressive Mod/Miracle Only run
Skull Lantern Only run
Aggressive Mod/Perma-Gravelorded/Magic Only run
Gravelorded All Bosses
Dual Claymore only funrun
Dragon Punch only speedrun
Aggressive NG+7 Fresh Start Fist Weapon Only run
Demon Great Hammer Only run
1 Million Souls challenge run
Weapon Swap Mod challenge run
Crystal Ring Shield only run
Lore% (run through all NPC storylines)
Fat Roll + Overencumbered (on bosses) run
Abyss Greatsword R2 Only run
Free-Aim Bow-Only All Bosses run
Straight Sword Hilt only run
2x speed hack any%
1 HP, Sorcery, No Shield, Gravelorded, Aggressive mod run
1 Stamina, No Spells run
Running Man (always running forward), Great Scythe, All Bosses run
Mildred Cosplay 1/2 HP, No Leveling, No Heal Items
Weapon Swap on Steroids (Swap both hands 5x per second)
Sniper Crossbow, No Lock-On
Bare Fist Only (with Tumblebuff glitch)
Consumables Only, All Bosses
100% Achievements Run

Source: http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Last edited by Blablabla; 09/08/14 04:34 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
@ Alkamiga well said and cheers for the advice hehe

C
stranger
stranger
C
last boss void dragon just too easy -_-

S
stranger
stranger
S
Buy good games on release and:

A. Play and report issues to developers (for the virtuous)
or
B. Wait six months before playing (for the patient but lazy)

Note that "C. Play without reporting issues to developers" is not an option.

Last edited by Shryke; 14/08/14 09:48 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard