Print Thread
W
wibble Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
LARIAN

Why do you think a boxed version was high priority for some backers?. No idea?

It all falls back to nostalgia, gaming used to be designed and packaged in a certain way, a way that is no longer relevant and for some of us a chance to back a project that accedes to that nostalgia is quite desirable.

You've tried to invoke nostalgia with your game design.. it's ok, but I hate the MMO LEVEL gate design, an rpg SHOULD rely on stats to solve situations but you gone for the whole 'MMO level multipliers'. I don't like your combat. Why should it be so difficult to take out a being one level above me?... THAT IS MMO DESIGN! but this comment isn't really why I'm here.

You also tried to invoke nostalgia with the box.. but again, as per everything else so far.. you've done ANOTHER halfassed job.

We get a box that is barely bigger than my hand.. why did you arbitrarily change the size of the box?... surely you had to realise that when we say 'box'.. that there was some kind of expectation to getting something of a scale to which we were accustomed.. you know, because nostalgia?

It's all simply another sign of piss poor organisational skills, and having such little respect for your backers that you don't really mind not getting it all entirely right.

I'm going to leave you with two things....

1) The ABSOLUTE understanding that you will never receive another penny from me. You've tried to compromise too many of the promises you made. You've tried too hard to 'get around' your responsibilities. You really weren't suited to running a Kickstarter campaign, you obviously didn't want to be beholden to the backer promises that you made.

2) A quote so fucking obvious it shouldn't even have to be said, but is very telling in the fact that you don't seem to have a clue.

Brain Fargo

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/wasteland-2-hands-on-following-the-hobo-code/

"It's a releationship", he replies. "and if you manage it well, it's like this monster and when he's your monster, he's great"". There are business decisions I could make that would make good business sense, but would piss [the Kickstarter backers] off. and you don't do those things."

So how come this guy gets it, and you don't?

Also his project is providing the big box..it being recognised that there was a standard for game boxes then (in general, although A FEW here and there opted to design their boxes around their product.)

Yeah Larian.. this whole thing has been nothing but a swing and a miss from you.

Also where is my engraving tool and KS potion?, why don't I get them at the same time I get the grail and the trunks? (not that I care but I AM supposed to have it) and why don't the trunks do anything apart from alternate between two comments... also wasn't there supposed to be an INT boost with them, what happened to that?

And finally, just because I've never said this before. I think it was crooked and underhanded of you to sell items that were CLEARLY supposed to be backer exclusive rewards.

It's a shame I've had to write a post about the size of a box.. it seems such a petty point to make, but on top of everything else it's just one more thing you've gotten wrong, Larian.

Last edited by wibble; 06/08/14 12:02 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Your quote doesn't really support your assertion. You've falsely equated something important to you with "piss [the Kickstarter backers] off". Everything I've seen leads me to believe a large majority of kickstarter backers are very pleased with the outcome. And Larian has done a better job of communicating than any other kickestater I've participated in or witnessed.

I can see how you would consider the old school box size a big nostalgia hit. But I don't see it as a missed promise at all.

Originally Posted by wibble

It's a shame I've had to write a post about the size of a box..

There we agree...

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
But... why did you buy the box then?

journeyman
journeyman
Ok I'll try to reply to you one piece at a time

I hate the MMO LEVEL gate design, an rpg SHOULD rely on stats to solve situations but you gone for the whole 'MMO level multipliers'.

MMO level design would be infinite respawning creatures each giving you exp so you can level without advancing to the next area, causing you you be OP for the rest of the game by simply grinding creatures.
All battles are placed one by one and scripted individually so each combat is an experience of its own. The maximum amount XP you can get in a certain area is well monitored so the entire game remains engaging and challenging.

I don't like your combat.

A lot of people like the combat so this is a matter of opinion, not something that should be fixed or changed

Why should it be so difficult to take out a being one level above me?... THAT IS MMO DESIGN! but this comment isn't really why I'm here.

see previous comments +
After completing the entire game you should be about level 20.
this means that the difference of 1 level is equivalent to 5 levels in your average 100 level games. Try killing a level 15 creature in Diablo while you are level 10, will you own it?
+ in most MMOs the level differences are quite lax, you can take out a creature 5 or 10 levels higher, or else the whole point of an MMO not being linear would fall to bits and pieces. Remember all those epic boss fights of defeating level 200 bosses that people like so much

We get a box that is barely bigger than my hand.. why did you arbitrarily change the size of the box?... surely you had to realise that when we say 'box'.. that there was some kind of expectation to getting something of a scale to which we were accustomed.. you know, because nostalgia?

On the kickstarter page the contents of the box were explained (This special Kickstarter Collector's box includes a DVD version of the game, a printed manual, an audio CD version of the game's soundtrack, an artbook, and a cloth map of the game world. )
It even contains more than was promised as it contains 2 decks of cards now. The arts books are shipped on their own.

Also, what makes you think the size of the box has been changed? Did you ever see footage or proof of a bigger box or was that just you imagination going wild?

It's all simply another sign of piss poor organisational skills, and having such little respect for your backers that you don't really mind not getting it all entirely right.

There are over 60 KS updates to keep all backers informed about the status of the project, a lot of time is spend in making these. Also, all backers ended up with alpha/beta access although this was supposed to be a add-on or reward in higher tiers.

Also where is my engraving tool and KS potion?, why don't I get them at the same time I get the grail and the trunks? (not that I care but I AM supposed to have it) and why don't the trunks do anything apart from alternate between two comments... also wasn't there supposed to be an INT boost with them, what happened to that?

The KS potion is in the game right now. It is the "KICKSTARTER EDITION" message in the main menu.

The trunks do what they are promised to do, I don't know what you were expecting of them.
Keep in mind that every belt in the game is better than the trunks, so you are not required nor expected to wear them the entire game.
Also the trunks were promised to not influence the balancing of the game, having a + int boost would contradict that promise. You'll never get everyone to be happy I guess...

And finally, just because I've never said this before. I think it was crooked and underhanded of you to sell items that were CLEARLY supposed to be backer exclusive rewards.

This was due to popular demand

As a final note, you speak about nostalgia, but all the problems of the game being too hard and unfair makes clear that you do not like old-school games for one bit. You were probably expecting your average hack and slash action RPG...

Last edited by Styno; 06/08/14 01:01 PM.
addict
addict
The ABSOLUTE understanding that you will never receive another penny from me.

I guess Larian had better shut down then.

A
A
Originally Posted by bargeral

There we agree...

You should never be ashamed to say something stupid, so I have to disagree. What is really a shame that this post does not get simply deleted and wasted my time. Ignoring trolls can be done just fine with forum moderation as well. Delete and ban such people would be such an easy and helpful thing, there are more than enough people around who can criticize without trolling or insulting.

Why leave such time wasters here?

addict
addict
Because some people have the ability to painstakingly rip out a valid message even from a messy and exaggerating post.

Also because this is not a totalitarian forum.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
M
stranger
stranger
M
First thing I check was the link, thinking it was a picture of what you're PMS'ing over. It was Wasteland... I couldnt even read it.

Wasteland 2 ladies and gentlemen is a game that costs 83 thousand dollars and has 1/10th of the content of DOS. Its a buggy scam, a mess, a clunky glitchy heap of trash. For real, go pirate it and try it out, since they know better then to offer a demo.

You buy Wasteland 2 for 11 million dollars and you get a big box, with empty contents.

You buy DOS for 29.99$ and got a small box with loads of content.

Why mad again?

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Well, EXCUSE ME, but SOME people like to clutter their house up with gigantic boxes! I am severely disappointed that my game fits through the front door. I did not anticipate this, when I preordered the game I made arrangements to have a wall removed.

Really, this whole thread is just too funny. Of all the things to rant about... laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard