Next Thread
Print Thread
#539716 08/08/14 03:58 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Final battle.

For some reason the goddess runs right down near the front when the dragon appears. First time the dragon killed her in the first round and since the dragon went first, I never even had a chance to fight back. Game Over.

Second time the goddess was again at full health and I fortified her just at the end of the prior battle. Dragon attacks her and her alone. Kills her. Game Over.

Third time buffed the full health goddess all I could at the end of the prior battle. She survives the first round ... barely. I cast heal on her when I finally get my turn. Next round dragon kills her. Game Over.

What's the joke here anyway? Is the Void supposed to win? Seriously I can't stop the dragon from killing the goddess when she runs right up to the front and I never even get a chance to attack the dragon. What the heck am I missing?

Thanks.

Last edited by LeBurns; 08/08/14 04:09 PM.
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I just watched some vids of the final battle but those are not helping. In the vid the dragon doesn't kill the goddess in the first round, in fact she survives with over half her health. In my game she's just killed before I even get a turn. Is there something I was supposed to do before the battle. I'm level 21 btw.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Where is your party relative to Astarte? I've found that if you have people next to her in the beginning, the dragon will attack them as well, taking fire off her. Later I just put summons down to guard her while my party surrounded the dragon.

addict
addict
Sounds to me like the initiative of your party is very low. You need a fighter or a summon to aggro the dragon.

LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Ok I did that and it helped. She actually survived when I put my guys as close to the box as possible after the prior battle.

However I didn't. It was a 50 minute battle and I ended up getting the dragon down to about 40% health. I seriously have no idea what I can do in order to get more damage on the dragon. I'm just not hurting him enough.

I am playing on Easy already so I can't turn the difficulty down. I'm using my mage to cast summons and keep people alive. My two melee fighters are standing toe to toe with the dragon, but his breath attacks are killing them. I suppose I need to get more resistances?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Ok I did that and it helped. She actually survived when I put my guys as close to the box as possible after the prior battle.

However I didn't. It was a 50 minute battle and I ended up getting the dragon down to about 40% health. I seriously have no idea what I can do in order to get more damage on the dragon. I'm just not hurting him enough.

I am playing on Easy already so I can't turn the difficulty down. I'm using my mage to cast summons and keep people alive. My two melee fighters are standing toe to toe with the dragon, but his breath attacks are killing them. I suppose I need to get more resistances?

Have your fighters cast Nullify Resistances and Divine Light. Then try to knock the dragon down with boulder dash or crushing fist. Casting blind on the dragon is also helpful.

You of course have to take care of the summons too, keep them busy with summons or CC them with charm/petrify/freeze.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by LeBurns
I suppose I need to get more resistances?

That is alsp very helpful. Use rubys or essences on your equipment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Most belts, bracers, body armor, sarongs and shields can be enchanted with a ruby or alternatively an essence of every type, granting you up to 25% elemental resistance on each item.
If you want to protect a char there is no better buff spell than the elemental shields. In addition to the effect in the description, they absorb damage equal to the health of the target.

Other than Nullify Resistance, Soultap and Drain Willpwer are both awesome spells against the dragon.

Last edited by eidolon; 08/08/14 06:42 PM.
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Rubys? What do they do?

I'm putting essences on helmets and armor, but nothing else is taking them.

Also, how do you improve a Hammer and bow? I improved the sword on the sharpening wheel.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Rubys boost elemental ressistance. Take a look here http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=526585&page=1
and here http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=520831#Post520831
You can freeze and knockdown him, use voodoo dolls, if you have any. Death Punch spell/s will be helpful too.

Last edited by antip0q; 08/08/14 07:24 PM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
A Witch can keep up to three summons out of the battle with Blind, it's cheap and recharges every turn. I went with two, so she could still summon and do that huge damage spell. Probably could have taken the other two out as well, but I still needed characters to actually attack the boss.

After the initial round, keep your characters as far away from each other and Astarte as possible (while still being in the range for healing spells), so the breath attacks don't hit the whole group.

Always keep one or two summons around Astarte to defend her. She's completely useless during the fight, if you're really lucky she will occasionally cast group blessing.

LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I have no one that cast witchcraft spells unfortunately.

Voodoo doll. I have one, but never used it as I have no idea what it does.

To be honest I didn't figure I could do any knockdowns or anything on the dragon. I assumed he'd be immune to all of that kind of stuff.

Thanks.

EDIT: I read that crafting thread over and over again and still don't see how to upgrade anything other than vague useless words. I need details on what a Ruby does and how to upgrade a two-handed warhammer and bow. I can't find that anywhere.

Last edited by LeBurns; 08/08/14 11:09 PM.
Well, for starters, you can't upgrade tenebrium weapons to my knowledge.

You can upgrade a regular bow's damage by dragging a bowstring on top of it. Bowstrings are created by dragging and dropping a sinew on top of another sinew.
You can also put a scope on a bow, or whatever that scope thing is called. (It looks like a scope.)

You can drag and drop (it's all dragging and dropping) a ruby onto body armour or a helmet. As far as I know those two objects are the only armour pieces that can be combined with a ruby, in order to get +resistance to the four elements. But I can ofcourse be wrong, since the crafting system is a gigantic mess, and I can't keep track of the countless recipes.

I have no idea how to upgrade a two-handed warhammer. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a two-handed warhammer in the game. :S

It's not hard to figure out how crafting works, just take one item and drop it on top of another item. If they combine, you'll either see a message that your crafting/blacksmithing isn't high enough, or you'll see the items combine.
It's still a piece of crap system though. Larian should do a huge crafting overhaul.

A
stranger
stranger
A
You can buy a spell and cast it, voodoo dolls can took ~ 500dmg at level 21, u need 5+ in crafting, if you want to craft it. VD isn't immune to knockdowns.
You can upgrade bow with sextant and bowstring.
You have to read crafting thread more carefully.

[Crafting 2] Boosted Bow = Bow + Bowstring (+ Damage)
[Crafting 3] Boosted Bow = Bow + Sextant (+ Perception)
[Crafting 5] Boosted Apparel = Apparel + Ruby (Secrets of the Scroll IX) (+ Air, Earth, Fire, and Water Resistance. +5%(IL1) / +10%(IL2) / +15%(IL7) / +20%(IL12) / +25%(IL17).)
[Crafting 5] Boosted Weapon = Weapon + Tormented Soul (Secrets of the Scroll VII) (+ Strength + Dexterity)

I don't know how to upgrade hammer for additional dmg.

LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Just lost three more times.

I've added all the resistances I can so my guys are staying alive. Plus I still have two unused bloodstones and those help, but the goddess is still getting killed.

I really wanted to beat this game today, but I'm about ready to give up. The dragon will not get knocked down or anything else. Any effort to do so is just wasted AP.

BTW what item adds poison resistance? If there is anything I could use more of it's that, but I've never seen any poison essence.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Try to freeze him, like I wrote before. How you tried to knock down him? Use potions, if you want add more poison resistance.

Last edited by antip0q; 09/08/14 01:13 AM.
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
One hour and 27 minutes. That's how long the battle lasted.

I had myself in some good positions so healing and taking out the summons was working great. It was just I was doing very little damage to the dragon. I mean I didn't expect to kill him in 10 hits, but 100+ seems much, especially on easy setting.

Well, now I just wait for the patch that adds new companions and I'll start again.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Just finished it for the first time...took a good 30 minutes, and only had to reload once because the Goddess is not very bright.

Main characters were a ranger and a witch, and I used the 2 most popular tag-a-longs (the fighter chick and the air/water magic dude...)

I had the same problem with Astarte getting her butt handed to her in the first or second round. The dragon appears to be nearsighted, because if you can get some cannon fodder in closer that she (Astarte) is, he'll focus on that. I healed her once or twice early, then let her do her thing, as I became the focus of the baddies...

My Ranger sat back at range (doi). Taking alternate shots at the dragon and the summons as needed. One of my key moves is Charming the summons. I usually charm the closest to me, then let the other summons vent their anger on him. I tried a variety of arrows on the dragon, but didn't get a feeling that any of them were doing any more damage than the standard set (knockdown arrows didn't work AT ALL). I think the "Curse" arrows were working fairly well.

The Witch was on Summon / Damage duty. Death Punch works *wonders* (if I remember right it was doing 600+ damage). I also had her Blinding the dragon, which seemed to work better for me than Freeze / Knockdown. She would summon a Death Knight on off rounds to help keep the summons occupied.

Air/Water Mage Dude: Fairly useless in this fight. Used him more as cannon fodder than anything else... I did have him keep a constant supply of Ice summons online, and his Teleport / Drop power came in handy when the bad summons got too close.

Fighter Chick: Straight Damage. None of her special talents worked very well either...the one where she Weakens w/ Hit worked a few times, but basically just plugging away at full power.

FOR ME: There were 2 main keys...

1. Keep the dragon from attacking. Figure out which interrupt works best for your set up. Having the witch cast Blind worked best for me.

2. When the dragon *does* attack, make sure he's attacking something other that YOU. I tried to keep summons to his left and right. He would turn to attack them and would barely put a scratch on my characters.

I had 2 blood gems going into the fight...had to use one about half way through before I figured out the "keep him attacking *sideways*" strategy.

Good luck man!

Gonna try my luck with a Rogue / Warrior Lone Wolf run now!!!

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Wait. Can you have more than one summon at a time, as long as they are different? Like, a decapitator and an elemental?

Yeesh, if that's true I've been a total idiot. I didn't even try it, because all the spells say you can only have one summoned creature at a time.

R
R
Each character in your party can have 1 summon out. (You could have 4 spiders out for example.)

With kind regards,

Rashar.

Last edited by Rashar; 20/08/14 03:00 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard