Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by rk47
Don't look at crafting from just Armor perspective thanks.

Where'd you get the idea that "Do not just look at armour!" in a thread that is specifically about how crafting armours is useless would be an actual contribution? wink

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
I would be still "useless" in the eyes of these people tho. Coz we would use that to enhance existing armors.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Early on, it was really good to supplement. Like level 12 I had so many gear gaps, I crafted a bow/leather armor/2h axe/staff. I then used Joshua's Spice on the 2h axe, bowstring and spyglass on bow, dipped all in elemental forge/grindwheel, used some elemental orbs on them...

I am now level 16. The 2h axe is still stronger damage (by good amounts) then even level 15-16 legendarys. The bow lasted a level or two and got replaced, which is usually how it goes. Armors tend to get replaced even quicker, since 1 level makes the different in armor, but also going from like +1 dex to +2 dex ect ect.

So yah, its kind of supplemental gear, but I use the Crafting Overhaul which makes it a lot more viable. It just fills gaps in level appropriate armor.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Originally Posted by Armakoir
I'd like to hear an argument/defense of why crafted armors and items should be better than found gear.

Because if they are not it makes crafting completely pointless. Why craft some plate armor when I can find some in a box or vendor that's better. It's not like money is ever an issue in the game.

I've seen plenty of games where crafting is mainly something extra for people to do who like the idea of crafting--for some people it's the idea of crafting their equipment--or even just some of it--that appeals to them. Personally, the whole "crafting" gig has never appealed to me, but I think the whole notion that "because it's crafted it should be better than discovered/store-bought" is nonsense....;) "Crafted" is, after all, just another word for "homemade"....;)

The idea that because something is "crafted" it should be "better" than anything else in the game is one that I don't think is defensible. It's there, if you want it; if not, the game won't penalize you for ignoring it. At any rate, I think the game deliberately doesn't want players expending a lot of time on the crafting option, imo.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
A
journeyman
journeyman
A

The idea that because something is "crafted" it should be "better" than anything else in the game is one that I don't think is defensible. It's there, if you want it; if not, the game won't penalize you for ignoring it. At any rate, I think the game deliberately doesn't want players expending a lot of time on the crafting option, imo.

Exactly.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Sometimes you won't find any gear upgrades and you'll be stuck using the same gear for several levels, which makes it kinda crappy for what you should be using.

This is what crafted gear is for. Filling the gaps that random loot leaves.

My endgame crafted robes gave something like +3 intelligence, which was a damn sight better than the random collection of stats on my level 14 orange robes I still had. They probably wouldn't have been better than level 21 orange robes, but I never found level 21 orange robes, so that's kind of moot.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Waltc
SNIP

I would completely agree with that if you could craft without spending precious skill points to do it. IMO if it is going to cost you to be able to craft the best things you can (5+ in Crafting/Blacksmithing/etc.) then by golly it better be some good stuff. Otherwise all those skill points should have been used on something else. If crafting was something you could just do ... then sure why not have it average grade stuff.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Originally Posted by Waltc
SNIP

I would completely agree with that if you could craft without spending precious skill points to do it. IMO if it is going to cost you to be able to craft the best things you can (5+ in Crafting/Blacksmithing/etc.) then by golly it better be some good stuff. Otherwise all those skill points should have been used on something else. If crafting was something you could just do ... then sure why not have it average grade stuff.

Respec.

addict
addict
Oddly enough I've finished the game once and never found anyone that I could use to respec. Wish I had as there were a few things I would have liked to have changed.

stranger
stranger
Hmmm...I'd also like to know where respec comes from. Perhaps a mod or the save game editor?

I've got 1 in Crafting and 1 in Blacksmithing, and I can get to 5 Crafting and 4 Blacksmithing with gear. But I'm regretting them due to the lack of materials.

I have trouble finding scraps. My henchmen are still wearing their initial boots because there simply aren't any extra scraps I can spare for them. At level 10 I have only ever found 2 pairs of boots. And any armor I craft are worthless compared to rares and legendaries that I have already pick up.

There also seem to be no recipe for bracers? Crafted rings and belts are also quite useless when drops are that plenty with easily 2-3 bonuses on rares and more on legendaries. And recipe for plate armor?

I also find more legendaries than rubies and moonstones. But boosting can be done on loot so it isn't an advantage belonging to crafted armor anyway.

The advantage in crafting armor is being able to fill in the missing pieces. That's all it's good for right now. Yet the ability to actually do that depends on looting or bartering for scraps, i.e. dependent on RNG. So it is really the same as waiting to pick up a useful magic/rare/legendary---actually it is worse because in addition to relying on RNG, you have to have the appropriate skill and yet still produce an inferior result.

I was thinking about a playthrough wearing only crafted gear, but then I realized there's no recipe for bracers and plate armor. And we can't produce scraps.

It'd be nice if the devs can reveal their plan on this. If crafting is going to just remain as is, I'll start using mods to fill in the "missing" recipes and actually have a proper crafting system in my game, but I'd still rather wait for an official word on it.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Keizai
Hmmm...I'd also like to know where respec comes from. Perhaps a mod or the save game editor?

It's a demon in one of the opened rooms at the Homestead.

It's the same portal that all the imps come from.

stranger
stranger
Ah, thanks, I haven't got that far! I guess I'm not all out of luck with my current character! laugh

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Jito463
Originally Posted by Keizai

It's a demon in one of the opened rooms at the Homestead.

It's the same portal that all the imps come from.

I recall talking to that guy, but don't recall the respec option coming up. Course I might have just skipped through it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard