Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545497 18/08/14 11:29 PM
JSylvan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey gang. New to the boards here and new to the Divinity series all together. Been reading some good reviews about Original Sin but haven't purchased anything. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a general vibe from all the gamers who are playing Original Sin so far? Everyone liking it? Is it supported well by Larian? I'm interested, but just a bit unsure because I have no experience with either Divinity or Larian.

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Like it.
It's got some balance problems, but it's overall a very good game.
Larian is patching it and adding more (free) content.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think your best bet is to check out divinity original sin at metecritic.com. That will give you a good indication of the generel critics and public opinion.

And for me personally, I love it. Not quite as good as Baldur's Gate 2, but the best thing since.

Last edited by Jacob Marner; 19/08/14 08:02 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by JSylvan
I was just wondering if anyone could give me a general vibe from all the gamers who are playing Original Sin so far?

I can only speak for myself, ofc, but..
Eh. I'm kinda disappointed; the game's writing isn't as good as it should be (the quests, the characters, the big story, even the setting - very boring, bland, predictable), and there's a constant sense that this game is actively wasting my time on account of how it's paced (in combat and in quest design).

But, it's still a pretty good game, and if you can afford the price, pick it up.

JSylvan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the input guys. I will have to say that the number of posts here and on other sites about bugs and technical problems has me a little concerned. Of course it is still early on ... but I may wait a bit to see if some updates and patches fix some of the issues I've seen discussed.

R
R
Would be great if you actually mentioned what bugs and issues those are, I can only speak for myself but aside from the occasional crash duing loading/saving my game I have not encountered any other weird stuff.

"It's still early on" The game is out of Beta... A year ago... that would have been "early".

Anyway for more information either try to watch some videos on the popular video channel or... be a pirate.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

addict
addict
Speaking personally as well, I haven't encountered any bugs, not even crashing on load/save. While I haven't finished the game yet, I've got 68 hours in it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've encountered a couple of bugs, but it's certainly one of the more stable games I've played. Steam reckons I've spent about 400 hours in it, but that includes the times I've left it minimised while I'm doing other stuff, but probably still a good 250 hours or so of actual playing. That includes the alpha and beta releases, though!

Surprised how much mileage I've got out of it since I felt actually quite sceptical about the idea when I first backed it, but I'll be surprised if it has any serious competition for my personal game of the year.

J'aime le fromage.
I've encountered minor hiccups with the latest build (occasionally about 50% of displayed text will start flickering) but previous load/save crashes seem to have been fixed and savegame times have been greatly improved (loading still takes longer than it should IMHO at 15-20 seconds). In terms of stability, I'd rate this as good though it would (and likely will) benefit from further improvement.

That leaves the question of whether you would enjoy D:OS as a game, which is much more subjective. If you like complex RPGs with freedom of action, this is likely the best candidate around (until Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 or Age of Decadence get finished) since you can interact with so many objects in the game world and the quests often have several ways to resolve them.

It is quite light-hearted in some places (like the conversations with animals you can have with the Pet Pal skill) which may not be to everyone's taste and some have issues with the combat system, crafting or general game balance.

The biggest downside I'd say is the UI with inventory management in particular being less streamlined than it could be.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Best CRPG of the decade, if you're into deep stuff and TB combat.

JSylvan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Rashar
Would be great if you actually mentioned what bugs and issues those are, I can only speak for myself but aside from the occasional crash duing loading/saving my game I have not encountered any other weird stuff.

Well ... my gaming rig has a 32-bit version of Win7 and I've seen threads on the Steam and Larian sites where many gamers mention constant CTD when trying to play on 32-bit systems.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/540732347296530853/#p1

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476120&page=1

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/630802979417196809/#p1

Some of those threads are very long with users still reporting issues even in August of this year. I will admit that I haven't read every page of every thread, so there may be fixes now that I haven't seen ... but this appears to be an issue that would affect me in particular and is the cause of my concern.

Perhaps I should have clarified with 'multiple reports on this issue' instead of 'multiple issues'.

Last edited by JSylvan; 20/08/14 01:47 PM.
Those threads are at least a few months old (one refers to the Early Access Beta) and the game has had several updates since release.

I'm running D:OS on 32-bit WinXP and while the initial release would sometimes crash when saving, that was fixed some time ago.

JSylvan Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Stargazer
Those threads are at least a few months old (one refers to the Early Access Beta) and the game has had several updates since release.

I'm running D:OS on 32-bit WinXP and while the initial release would sometimes crash when saving, that was fixed some time ago.

Stargazer, appreciate the info. Makes me feel better to know that it's working for you. I may give it a run then. Those threads were started a while back, but there are posts from only a few days ago with people still having those issues.

Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard