Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
[Linked Image]

So animals don't have a right to live, right? A real nice message you're sending guys.

/facepalm

P.S. And it's even more disgusting because of the fact that Arhu is in his cat form during the dialog. Basically it's like saying: "Hey, we animals endorse the notion too. We only exist to serve humans so please kill us for whatever purpose you deem worthy."

Joined: Jul 2014
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Jul 2014
derp

Joined: Nov 2003
member
Offline
member
Joined: Nov 2003
If you're going to campaign for animal rights, a CRPG where actions have no real consequence is a pretty strange place to start. And in D:OS, orcs and undead have it far worse - why not complain about their treatment also? ("Skeletons have sentience! Zombies are not just for apocalypses!").

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Look, I'm not here to preach my belief in all living things being equal. It's something that should come from the heart. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

But like anyone I'm entitled to my opinion and in my opinion the scene is instant -2 to game rating. Why only -2? Because the quality of dialogue writing in D:OS is so poor and brain-hurting you have to be incredibly dim to take any of it seriously. Still, this particular remark coming from one of the game's more coherent characters (meant to be a good guy) and not triggering any response options from the player is insidious, one-sided and absolutely uncalled for.

And it's not even the only place in the game where such point of view is promoted. But hearing something like that from a dying madman is more of an "OK, whatever" thing. Here it really feels like a sudden punch in the guts.

Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
I seem to remember not sacrificing a chicken for the blood stone; and not allowing Roy's menagerie being taken for the slaughter. I did allow the chef to catch his errant chicken, and was scolded for it. I also used a blood stone to help the beast of burden thingy that looks a bit like a guar. Other than that, I'm slightly lost, unless you're referring to actually aggressive animals, though for the most part they could be avoided.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Aug 2014
Z
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Z
Joined: Aug 2014
Do you also find these things disgusting: raiding orcs, demons, summoning undead, using blades-maces-magic to harm others? or digging graves and stealing things?

Nice message they are sending eh?

/double facepalm


Joined: Jan 2014
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2014
Originally Posted by Vometia
I seem to remember not sacrificing a chicken for the blood stone; and not allowing Roy's menagerie being taken for the slaughter. I did allow the chef to catch his errant chicken, and was scolded for it. I also used a blood stone to help the beast of burden thingy that looks a bit like a guar. Other than that, I'm slightly lost, unless you're referring to actually aggressive animals, though for the most part they could be avoided.


I also have no idea what the original poster is complaining about. I seem to remember having the opportunity to save/spare animals more often than not during my adventure.

Joined: Jul 2013
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Jul 2013
Obvious troll is obvious...

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by El Zoido
Obvious troll is obvious...

Does standing for my views make me a troll? If so, I'm proud to be one.

Joined: Apr 2013
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Apr 2013
Exactly what are you standing against? Would you care to clarify what it is in the game that has got you so upset? The rest of us are quite confused as to your original post, and I'm on the fence whether El Zoido is correct about you.

Joined: Oct 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2013
The problem with this entire topic is that you [OP] do not know the difference between fiction and reality apparently.

Fiction is not real, and the views expressed in that SS are not those of Larian, but of the character Arhu. And you [OP] are basically arguing "That fictional character says something that I disagree with" and drawing the conclusion that everything said by Arhu is what LARIAN endorses. (Which is insane)

What is it with D:OS pulling in these absurd topics lately......

And before you [OP] answer to my post with "But when Larian writes a character like that they endorse..."

No, THEY DO NOT. That is NOT how fictional writing WORKS. You [OP] are baiting and I stupidly replied, so the points go to you. But your entire argument is nonsensical.

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
The problem with this entire topic is that you [OP] do not know the difference between fiction and reality apparently.

Thank you I know the difference perfectly. The dialogue was written by a real person, was it not? Now, let's not pretend that Larian writers care even a little bit about the fourth wall - we all know they don't.

So the topic isn't at all about what happens in the fictional world of Rivellon. It's about the message the game sends to the player. I happen to dislike parts of the message. Strongly. And that's it.

Last edited by prodigydancer; 20/08/14 08:27 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
D
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
D
Joined: Jul 2014
Prodigydancer, what part of the game are you talking about?
The game goes out of its way to make you feel bad about killing animals.
Even when you get attacked by wolves, the main characters remark how sad it is that they're having to kill wolves.

If you aren't a troll, then please be specific about what part of the game offended you so much.

Joined: Jul 2014
E
stranger
Offline
stranger
E
Joined: Jul 2014
A fictional character thinks that it's OK to sacrifice toads. The world is lost.

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by dirigible
please be specific about what part of the game offended you so much.

See screenshot in the OP.
Happens right after your arrival in Silveglen.

Joined: Aug 2014
H
stranger
Offline
stranger
H
Joined: Aug 2014
So you're telling me if you're friend got mortally wounded, you wouldn't kill a toad even if it meant saving him?


Joined: Oct 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2013
Originally Posted by prodigydancer
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
The problem with this entire topic is that you [OP] do not know the difference between fiction and reality apparently.

Thank you I know the difference perfectly. The dialogue was written by a real person, was it not? Now, let's not pretend that Larian writers care even a little bit about the fourth wall - we all know they don't.

So the topic isn't at all about what happens in the fictional world of Rivellon. It's about the message the game sends to the player. I happen to dislike parts of the message. Strongly. And that's it.


So by your logic, George R.R. Martin endorses incest, rape, murder, abuse and killing because he writes about it in his books and writes characters that REVEL in it.

No..... as I said in the part you smartly didn't quote because it already addressed your further points, that is NOT how fictional writing works. This has nothing to do with the 4th wall. You are blurring the line between fiction and reality and insinuate a message in reality that does not exist in reality, but only in fiction. To make it clear, you are posting here over the sacrifice of digital toads to heal ALL ILLNESSES in a fantasy world. Does that sound normal to you?

You may have taken my reply as an attack when in fact I am merely stating what you are doing.

To put it bluntly. You confuse fictional messages with reality. Which is why people think you are trolling.

Joined: Feb 2014
Location: California
R
RtM Offline
member
Offline
member
R
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: California
Oh ffs guys stop being so gullible.

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
I doubt there's anything left to discuss here. In fact, I wasn't even looking for a discussion. I posted this topic mostly as an observation (and food for thought in case if anyone from Larian actually reads these boards).

It's not just about this particular offensive statement the game makes so casually. It's about the overall quality of the dialogue in D:OS. It feels like half of the text is written by an underachieving 12 years old and the other half - by a search bot programmed to pull rarely used words from Webster dictionary.

Unfortunately the end result isn't so bad as to be hilarious but is precisely bad enough to annoy you out of your mind and bore you to tears. Let me put it this way: as a fan of PS:T and The Witcher series I never thought I would feel like skipping all the dialogue in a CRPG but here I am wondering if it's possible to complete quests in this game relying solely on log notes. Then I remind myself that D:OS is probably the best RPG of the year and I can't help feeling sad. What has become of a once great genre...

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by H8terFisternator
So you're telling me if you're friend got mortally wounded, you wouldn't kill a toad even if it meant saving him?

No I wouldn't. You may hate me if you want to.

Death is a tragic but natural event in every being's life. Sometimes it happens early which makes the tragedy more profound but it doesn't mean you can take another life to delay the inevitable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5