Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I've been enjoying the game alot and have managed to do an entire playthrough, missing a few side quests but overall enjoying the entire experience. Although Divinity has been getting alot of well deserved praise there also some major problems in the game which is no suprise since it has only just been oficially released nevertheless I feel , and many others, feel there are large problems in the game,please say if you agree or disagree with the suggested changes but I hope these are fixed. These do not include bugs.

1.AI
The combat is insanely fun but gets far to easy later in the game mainly thanks to weak AI. You can understand the occasional AI misshap but the enemy is consistantly making really foolish mistakes which they really shouldnt even on easy difficulty such as:
A. Attack of opportunity awareness(sometimes AI simply pointless walks in the out of melee range of your character as if they want to be hit)
B. Awareness of resistances (Enemies often cast fire abilities against fire elementals and the like and keep on casting even though it just keeps healing the elemental)
C. Targeting (Almost all the time enemies just attack the enemy nearest to them this means even if its there own team or attacking summoned creatures simply because there closer even if they are doing not much damage)
D. Friendly fire (Enemies have a habit of using fire abilities near the allies even if they are covered by oil or poison)

2.Balance
Although there are many tiny balance issues like in any RPG but my problem is with the abilities that potentially make the game far to easy/hard.
A. Talents (The biggest problem being LEECH which is a cool concept but is far to powerful. Also there are many talents that are simply not worth taking no matter what kind of character you are such as "my precious" and "what a rush" that simply need to be buffed abit.)
B. Charm (Perhaps the most powerful ability in the game that scoundrels and rangers have access to has medium cost in AP and is ridiculously powerful not only stopping an enemy from attacking you for a number of turns like a stun or knock down but also makes them use abilities on your enemies, and ALSO causes enemies to attack the charmed character usually leaving him dead by the end of the duration, clearly this ability to be changed in ONE of the following ways:
1.Increase AP cost.
2.Reduce enemies chance of targeting a charmed character previously on their side.
3.Give a chance of the charmed status to be removed every time the charmed character is damaged by physical, similarily to the willpower check when you first try to charm someone.)

C. Enemy level progression(Enemy diffculty simply needs to be looked over and changed as most people I've talked to and myself find the game gets far to easy mid game then gets abit harder near the end of the game but not much harder, in summary the hardest part of the game seems to be around the beginning which was the most enjoyable part of the game)
D. Classes and abilities (Personally I havent had much problems with ability balance but I continuously hear mages and magic being more powerful then any physical damage type class especially rogue, dagger, classes which I think people are right about and needs to be looked into)

3. Unfinished/Cut content
Not really a pressing issue but it would be nice for any cut content to be made obviously "cut" from the game not weirdly hanging around making players wonder if its meant to be there, and unfinished content to be finished. As I said Not as pressing issue as others but still would be nice i.e. it always bugs me in the first area when you come across the dog in the forest which you follow but then simply dissapears into thin air, not even any magical effects someone just presses the delete button on the dogs model.

4. Companions
Coming up soon apparently, I look forward to them but would be nice if larian hinted at their classes so the many waiting for them could at least plan their charachter builds for next playthrough, or even first.

5. ALLOW CO-OP PARTNERS TO SEE THE CONVERSATION
It seems pretty stupid that once one player initiates a conversation the other person cannot hear anything they are see even if you are standing right next to them. I get that whoever initiates the conversation decides what to say untill the dialogue goes co-operative but the other player should be able to see the text as the other player is progressing through the conversation.

Any other suggestions to be put on this list? Or maybe something to be removed? Nevertheless larian please listen to your faithful customers, you havent let me down yet but I fear you may soon.

Last edited by someguy216; 21/08/14 03:42 PM.
R
R
It's a single player game, so I personally would not expect any changes regarding to balance issues.

You have some valid points in my opinion regarding to the AI behavior and the diffculty curve throughout the game, however it should be playable for their targeted audiences, (I'm unsure who those are though) so if Larian Studios feels that players of age 12 and up should be able to complete the game then it all becomes more apparent as to why they chose all this.

Talent wise from a math. perspective you should allways compare the talent that you are taking versus adding 10 ability points or 2 attribute points. Making 90% of the talents fairly useless. Then ofcourse there are some talents that are just insane and others that you wouldn't take even if they happen to cost half a talent point. However those are balence issues and I will try not to stick my nose in the hornets nest, to me it's a single player game so balance issues are not a big issue and most can easily be dealt with it you really wanted to. For example, don't take the talents that you think are out of balance, don't stack resistance above a certain %... So if you really want balance, then you can do a lot get proper balance.

The co-op converation issue will be fixed in the next patch and I don't think Larian should release the "classes" of their new npc's, part of the journey is discovery. However I fear that they will mess up their new npc's since the way Jahan and Madora are build is just horrible... so if you find new npc's on higher levels it will most likely will be worse, so I personally don't expect anything from the new npc's. However there are mods out there for level 1 jahan and madora so they will also come for the next npc's so I am not that worried.

Regarding to the content, I hope/assume they will polish up the sidequests a bit here and there, however on a first playthrough without looking everything up, it's not unusual to spend 60-100 hours depending on how much you are into crafting and also depending on how many hours you are spending on inventory management.

My issues are mostly about the amount of useless loot, I feel that the balance is a bit of, I understand that not every item type has the same % of dropping but I think that in Act I on my 1st playthrough I found a dozen legendary rings/amulets and only a very few other type of legendary items. I personally don't really like to f5 f8 untill I see something else drop then a ring or amulet, so it's kinda frustrating to see bosses drop garbage 75% of the time.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Luckily with the recent patch larian has fixed a few balance issues such as summoned creature threat and the leech talent which is great as well as the 80% resistance soft cap so you cant have a completley immortal character. Still Really wanna start my next playthrough frown.

old hand
old hand
My number #1 wish is they fix the broken quest; for example the quest with the guy and run-away imp. My sequence was:
(many people have reported bugs with this quest - this was my specific sequence which differ from others issues)
find guy
heal guy
find imp much later
imp sez need courage
tell imp to go back (i win dialog check)
imp VANISH
i make courage potion but no imp to give potion
-
quest left in broken state
--
Then there is the orc quest where you have to kill all the orcs (many people reported this one) where the last orc will not enter combat and you cannot attack it
-
There are 3 or 4 other broken quests... Maybe they are saving all the broken quests for a later 'fix quests' patch ?

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by meme
My number #1 wish is they fix the broken quest; for example the quest with the guy and run-away imp. My sequence was:
(many people have reported bugs with this quest - this was my specific sequence which differ from others issues)
find guy
heal guy
find imp much later
imp sez need courage
tell imp to go back (i win dialog check)
imp VANISH
i make courage potion but no imp to give potion
-
quest left in broken state
--
Then there is the orc quest where you have to kill all the orcs (many people reported this one) where the last orc will not enter combat and you cannot attack it
-
There are 3 or 4 other broken quests... Maybe they are saving all the broken quests for a later 'fix quests' patch ?

Im curious what quest are you talking about i dont recognize what your describing? which map is it on?

old hand
old hand
The second one is on the last map before you get to the phantom forest - the town up north east.
-
The first quest is the map before where you find some guy who wants to be healed with a bloodstone (can't remember his name or the imp name but i could get them from the quest log later if needed). He is near the 'desert' like area in a valley. The imp pushed him off a cliff smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would like to see a Balance Patch wink

Some weapons/spells/talents are to powerful
Some enemies are to powerless

wink

Last edited by john carmack; 22/08/14 05:17 PM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by meme
The second one is on the last map before you get to the phantom forest - the town up north east.
-
The first quest is the map before where you find some guy who wants to be healed with a bloodstone (can't remember his name or the imp name but i could get them from the quest log later if needed). He is near the 'desert' like area in a valley. The imp pushed him off a cliff smile

I remember the imp one now yes that isnt very clear were on earth 2 go and i dont remember any orcs in the are before phantom forest except the small group to the south.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by someguy216

1.AI
The combat is insanely fun but gets far to easy later in the game mainly thanks to weak AI. You can understand the occasional AI misshap but the enemy is consistantly making really foolish mistakes which they really shouldnt even on easy difficulty such as:
A. Attack of opportunity awareness(sometimes AI simply pointless walks in the out of melee range of your character as if they want to be hit)
B. Awareness of resistances (Enemies often cast fire abilities against fire elementals and the like and keep on casting even though it just keeps healing the elemental)
C. Targeting (Almost all the time enemies just attack the enemy nearest to them this means even if its there own team or attacking summoned creatures simply because there closer even if they are doing not much damage)
D. Friendly fire (Enemies have a habit of using fire abilities near the allies even if they are covered by oil or poison)

It's strange you don't quote the AI basic holes I know allowing make combats ridiculous, the problem is I didn't experimented them much, at best quoted the problem few times:
- Cloud/Smoke seems freeze close range enemies, when in fact they could try go in the cloud randomly to go very close to suspected enemy and then hit him.
- Oil and surfaces that damage an enemy is too much considered like a fatal obstacle. It leads to makes those enemies lost a lot of time for eventually just some damages or even just a temporary slowdown. I understand the AI evaluates this parameter but it seems broken.
- Invisibility or Stealth, I definitely quoted two different behaviors, enemies doing nothing when it happens even when they have AOE attacks, and enemies that try some AOE attack more or less randomly. So it's more that in such context the balance of AI should be more to do something and preserve only few AP than doing nothing even with more AP preserved. And close range should at least try go randomly closer instead of being paralyzed.

Last edited by Fend; 22/08/14 05:46 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by someguy216

2.Balance
C. Enemy level progression(Enemy diffculty simply needs to be looked over and changed as most people I've talked to and myself find the game gets far to easy mid game then gets abit harder near the end of the game but not much harder, in summary the hardest part of the game seems to be around the beginning which was the most enjoyable part of the game)

In my opinion if there's a problem with the difficulty it's because of two points:
- There's many OP holes and the more you build your party the more they can be OP. If at first it seems harder it's just because you haven't yet the OP holes you'll have later.
- Too many combats haven't much design. This leads to combats that are just a pick of some monsters, two mages plus 1 archer plus 2 close range and a mini boss and done the combat is designed. The problem with such design is it leads quickly to make most combats very similar, then for most players, most party builds will just allow repeat a short set of tactics for all those combats with too few tuned design. And this will makes fell those combats are very easy, because for all you just repeat some simple tricks.

Last edited by Fend; 22/08/14 05:55 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Invisibility and Stealth should be overworked!

It is much to powerful because you can do everything you want and it has no consequences!

So, its getting ridiculous and the game becomes too easy!!! (to me its like a Cheat!!)

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by john carmack
Invisibility and Stealth should be overworked!

It is much to powerful because you can do everything you want and it has no consequences!

So, its getting ridiculous and the game becomes too easy!!! (to me its like a Cheat!!)
Well without those 2 features, you'll never able to afford all those powerful spell books where it later make the game seem so easy.

You see what I did there? : P

Link Copied to Clipboard