Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Feb 2011
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2011
There they are again: the childish pathetic loosers that claim to "love challenge" ruining the game for everyone else who enjoyed it how it was, taking options away from other players and destroying the diversity of builds. And why? Because those immature loosers are incapable of making a decision. Yes, yes, they claim they don't want to "gimp" themselves but that is just their way of saying "Waah, I can not make that decision."

This is exactly the reason I mentioned "Lobos Jr" in another thread because he made that decision 66(!) times when he played Dark Souls.
Instead of whining to the developers to make the game more challenging, he made the decision and made the game more challenging for himself and left it how it is for everyone else.

And the fact that this game can be modded so that EVERYONE of them could have adjusted the difficulty to be closer to his/her liking makes them even more pathetic. There is NO difference between Larian capping the resistance and a player making a mod which caps the resistance. The fact that they were uncapable and unwilling to do that is just disgusting.

BTW for LARIAN: Every balance change for this game should be an official mod. That way people can choose which parts of the balance they want to add to the game and which parts they are fine with and enjoy.

Joined: Jul 2013
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Jul 2013
Originally Posted by Blablabla

And the fact that this game can be modded so that EVERYONE of them could have adjusted the difficulty to be closer to his/her liking makes them even more pathetic. There is NO difference between Larian capping the resistance and a player making a mod which caps the resistance. The fact that they were uncapable and unwilling to do that is just disgusting.

BTW for LARIAN: Every balance change for this game should be an official mod. That way people can choose which parts of the balance they want to add to the game and which parts they are fine with and enjoy.


That goes both ways, you know? There's already a mod out that does rise the caps back to 200%.

In general I do even agree that sometimes people should just not use certain exploits instead of endlessly complaining about how they trivialize a game, but the resistances in D:OS are a pretty basic concept and you actually need to put an effort into not going above 100 eventually.

Anyway, it's not so much a problem of "childish pathetic loosers", but rather Larian feeling that D:OS probably not provided the challenge they intended. Ultimately it's up to Larian to decide how challenging the game should be or whether certain exploits should be viable or not.
As far as I can tell they probably felt that the game's difficulty was a little bit too easy to break through resistances >100.

The possibility to do so is not bad per se - but it's achieved much too easily pre-patch (and often across too many types simultaneously). Right now you still can have a char capped and then apply situational buffs through potions and spells for that little extra necessary to go up to and above 100% in combat or when you need to reach certain places.

If you ask me, that sounds like a good compromise that actually offers some tactical depth and increases the usefulness of certain skills and potions.

Last edited by El Zoido; 23/08/14 12:02 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Blablabla
There they are again: the childish pathetic loosers that claim to "love challenge" ruining the game for everyone else who enjoyed it how it was, taking options away from other players and destroying the diversity of builds. And why? Because those immature loosers are incapable of making a decision. Yes, yes, they claim they don't want to "gimp" themselves but that is just their way of saying "Waah, I can not make that decision."


Wait, are you calling the playerbase childish pathetic loosers[sic], or the developers at Larian?

Do you think Larian made this change against their wishes?

I may be crazy here, but I suspect Larian wouldn't make balance passes unless they themselves agreed that the process had merit.

There's a word, 'iteration'. It's a good word, describing a good thing that results in good design.

And, a word in your shell-like, you don't come across as a very pleasant person when you lade your posts with mean-spirited little digs like that. It certainly doesn't help your argument. It kinda makes you sound like a bit of a child.

Last edited by Noaloha; 23/08/14 12:21 PM.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
Joined: Jan 2011
C
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
C
Joined: Jan 2011
@ OP, if you keep hearing "I heal myself while walking on lava"

If you're a developers, what's your first reaction and of course your next course of action?

Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by El Zoido

That goes both ways, you know? There's already a mod out that does rise the caps back to 200%.


that's what mod for. you can make the game easier or harder, according to your own style and taste. people can mod all those by their standard overpowering classes down to earth or lift the underpowered classes into godhood.

Originally Posted by El Zoido

If you ask me, that sounds like a good compromise that actually offers some tactical depth and increases the usefulness of certain skills and potions.


yes, otherwise, all the shield spells are pretty much useless. or from another perspective, shield spells are entry level spells to be used before 100+ resist is achieved prior to hard cap.

Joined: Jan 2011
C
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
C
Joined: Jan 2011
why need mod when the game let you choose "easy or hard" via difficulty on the fly?

/thread




Joined: Jul 2013
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Jul 2013
Because let's face it, difficulty settings alone will never please everyone - especially the "I should be allowed to play the game the way I want"-crowd will never be pleased by a simple difficulty setting.
There will always be some who will feel offended. Mods are probably a better approach in that cases.

Joined: Jan 2011
C
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
C
Joined: Jan 2011
^ I see what you did there.

For those really want to play the game on hard. Try beat the game on hard for your first playthrough.

If you have to start over and resort to using a mod to make the game harder or easier, you know you already failed yourself and your pride. Why? because you cheat yourself, and deep down you know it.

A failure is always a failure and no amount of reload will ever reverse it.

Remember that.

tsk tsk.

ps. hope I wasn't being to hard.


Joined: Aug 2014
T
member
Offline
member
T
Joined: Aug 2014
hmmm..so you fixed it or re-posted? you hoped not being to hard on the "pve crowd."

does it matter? as if there's anything but pve in D:OS...


Joined: Aug 2014
B
stranger
Offline
stranger
B
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by Condor
@ OP, if you keep hearing "I heal myself while walking on lava"

If you're a developers, what's your first reaction and of course your next course of action?



There's a part of the game that's ONLY ACCESSIBLE if you heal yourself while walking on lava. The imp's all "There's three paths: one through immaculates, which there's a lot of but are weak, one through super buffed demons that can only be hurt through tenebrium, and one that is full of lava, so you'll need to be immune to go that way." So, having been maxing my fire resistance, I went that way. Gaining lava immunity is clearly part of the original design.

Joined: Jul 2014
K
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
K
Joined: Jul 2014
Mods are for players that want to CHANGE the game to a specific way to be able to do so.
Patches are tools used by the company to fine tune THEIR product.

Now, if people are too lazy to mod the game back (or even to search to se if someone else did it already) to how they want to play, i'd say that they will keep complaining and larian will probably ignore them.

It seems to me that they intended to not be simple to heal yourself with an element. As of version 1.0.130 it's still possible. You just have to use the Shield spells to boost one of your resistances to 130% if you have attained the cap.

One thing i'd like to ask is if they intend environmental effects to reduce the maximum resist (i.e. your maximum resist is 60% to air under Rain without Shields).

I feel very happy with all the changes so far.
It seems weird to me that a tactics game forego ALL tactics at the end game.
And i think it's completely fair for the game to cheat for the enemies if the game itself can't provide smarter enemies.

Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
Originally Posted by Archaven
This sounds weird. It seems there's a group that want balance and more hard and there's a group that love how it's used to be previously. So Larian upset the masses simply by listening to one group of people that love the harder game. Correct me if i'm wrong.


I won't say you are wrong but there is a third possibility. That they made the change because they felt it wasn't correct. Thus not trying to please or piss off anyone. I know my game wouldn't have such cheese tactics in it. To call it hard by making the change, I look at it as making a logical correcting to the games design.

I like what one said, to make both sides happy either make tie difficulty level dictate it or a toggle. Since they created a precedence, you will always upset someone and we never know the % of the total fan-base is upset when a change is made. I took these matters in my hand once I knew a way to mod them out. For example I have 360 FOV for NPC's so you can't walk into a room and steal from them. That was cheese to. Best thing about PC gaming, with a little know-how many things you can tweak on your own.

Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
The game shouldn't be easy on hard.

This is a turn based game on hard it should be like chess. You should have a legit chance of losing many battles if not played right. If there was an unstoppable move that would always allow you to win in Chess in 4 moves, the game wouldn't have survived the centuries it has.

Joined: Jul 2014
Location: New Mexico
A
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
A
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: New Mexico
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
The game shouldn't be easy on hard.

This is a turn based game on hard it should be like chess. You should have a legit chance of losing many battles if not played right. If there was an unstoppable move that would always allow you to win in Chess in 4 moves, the game wouldn't have survived the centuries it has.

Chess and D:OS are very different games. The former is a proper strategy game, and the latter is an RPG, and as an RPG, the game world, characters, storyline, etc deserve just as much (if not more) developer time as the combat system might. I think the "the game shouldn't be easy on hard" statement assumes that since D:OS has turned based combat that it's trying to be some ultimate strategy game, and I don't think that is its goal. Therefore, it would be nice if it had a range of difficulty, but it doesn't necessary have to be that way.

Last edited by Armakoir; 23/08/14 07:29 PM.
Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
Originally Posted by Armakoir
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
The game shouldn't be easy on hard.

This is a turn based game on hard it should be like chess. You should have a legit chance of losing many battles if not played right. If there was an unstoppable move that would always allow you to win in Chess in 4 moves, the game wouldn't have survived the centuries it has.


Chess and D:OS are very different games.


I look at TB as chess. Overall the same type of results you are looking for, your move to win, their move to win, each one by one. We are talking about the combat TB model with these changes. Obviously we all have our own opinions, but that is what I look for, a very balanced thinkers game when I play TB.

Joined: Jul 2013
E
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
E
Joined: Jul 2013
Originally Posted by BardicLasher

There's a part of the game that's ONLY ACCESSIBLE if you heal yourself while walking on lava.


Technically you can remove the lava with the whirlwind spell, but I agree that the possibility to gain immunity should stay in the game, since alternative solutions to problems is one of the recurring themes in the game - and after the hotfix, the possibility does again exist - through spells and potions.

Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
Originally Posted by El Zoido
Originally Posted by BardicLasher

There's a part of the game that's ONLY ACCESSIBLE if you heal yourself while walking on lava.


Technically you can remove the lava with the whirlwind spell, but I agree that the possibility to gain immunity should stay in the game, since alternative solutions to problems is one of the recurring themes in the game - and after the hotfix, the possibility does again exist - through spells and potions.


With the hot fix, isn't it back in? Between shield spells which I heard worked before the hot fix and now spells and potions once again allowing you to go past 100%, seems very liberal to me. Yo just can't have equipment do it alone now. If the game just shipped that way...

Last edited by Horrorscope; 23/08/14 08:42 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
I hate it when devs (for whatever reason they may have) starts to impose artificial barriers on players in a SINGLE PLAYER GAME... This behavior reminds me of the limitations that the Devs have been imposing in CK2 & EU4 and it doesn't add anything to the game except an artificial difficulty.

This is not a MMO or some competitive game, so what gives?

Well, at least I finished the game and I was looking forward to doing a second playthough with the introduction of the new NPC companions, but if (or since) they are imposing artificial barriers to increase the difficulty then I am just going to shelf it and move on

---
PS: wtf is with these forums, where I can't use quotation marks in my sentances???

Last edited by Wolfen2; 23/08/14 08:50 PM.
Joined: Aug 2014
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by Wolfen2
I hate it when devs (for whatever reason they may have) starts to impose artificial barriers on players in a SINGLE PLAYER GAME... This behavior reminds me of the limitations that the Devs have been imposing in CK2 & EU4 and it doesn't add anything to the game except an artificial difficulty.

This is not a MMO or some competitive game, so what gives?

Well, at least I finished the game and I was looking forward to doing a second playthough with the introduction of the new NPC companions, but if (or since) they are imposing artificial barriers to increase the difficulty then I am just going to shelf it and move on

---
PS: wtf is with these forums, where I can't use quotation marks in my sentances???


It is relatively common these days with developers actually. Rather than produce new, interesting, and challenging content, they will introduce artificial barriers to stifle player creativity and options. It's a shortcut that has picked up support from the MMO-loving crowd in the name of "balance".

Joined: Aug 2014
P
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Originally Posted by Condor
@ OP, if you keep hearing "I heal myself while walking on lava"

If you're a developers, what's your first reaction and of course your next course of action?

Come on. Whether you care for resist caps or not it's not a reason to defend a typical knee-jerk patch implemented in a very hasty and unprofessional manner.

Let's assume for a moment that elemental healing from high resists was never intended. Well, if you're a developer it doesn't take you months to notice something that is so obviously broken. It may take you a while to come up with a thought-out, working and thoroughly tested solution but this clearly isn't the case here.

Larian may want to take a page from Harebrained Schemes book. Those guys actually spent their time and resources on developing another campaign for Shadowrun Returns and left tinkering with game balance to modding community where it belongs.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5