Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Brook B Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
So I just found out how henchmen are supposed to level up with the party. I am aware that you are supposed to hire them, then dismiss them, then have them join you again so that they get the experience. I have tested this with both of the companions (Madora and Jahan) and it works fine. My henchmen, however, do not gain any experience/levels when I do this. I even used one enough to level him up to level 2, then dismissed, then had him join again and that didn't work either.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone know how I can get them to level up with the party?

R
R
I am sorry to inform you that is no longer a feature supported by the game. It was changed in one of the latest patches; and according to Larian it was never intended that henchmen would level up on joining your party.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

Last edited by Rashar; 25/08/14 05:03 AM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Ye Henchman no longer gain xp. Which makes sense since they are only meant to be mercs but only increases this games need for new companions.

old hand
old hand
I would say its another good call.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Wait... what?!

Why would they do this? So basically we are stuck using the cooking cutter party using Madora and Jahan?! What the hell kind of RPG rams mandatory companions down our throat?!

Last edited by Jachal; 25/08/14 11:17 PM.
R
R
In the defence of Larian, there are 2 more companions coming out in one of the upcoming patches. However it is not known which patch that is.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

J
stranger
stranger
J
That is great but that still limits re-playability. What if the two new companions are not part of our adventure's outlook?

Can we mod companions in?

R
R
Well there is a mod out there that lets you make 4 characters from scratch, so if all else fails you can allways do that.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Thank you! I'll look for that.

apprentice
apprentice
Someone may misunderstand the OP but to clear it up the henchmen gain full experience and level up when they are in the party and do not gain experience while they are dismissed. So just don't dismiss them.

P
stranger
stranger
P
If they autolevel companions and they introduce new companions we'll just go right back to making one of the companions a crafting mule ... which is what most of us wanted out of the henchmen in the first place.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Pinky
If they autolevel companions and they introduce new companions we'll just go right back to making one of the companions a crafting mule ... which is what most of us wanted out of the henchmen in the first place.

Of course. Because crafting/blacksmithing should be secondary skills. They shouldn't compete for ability points with combat abilities. The way they're implemented in D:OS is a typical example of lazy design.

And instead of fixing their poor design decisions Larian "solved" the problem by making henchmen useless.

Last edited by prodigydancer; 27/08/14 07:51 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Pinky

I never intended to use one to craft, but why would anyone care? It is a single player role playing game. If someone wants to role play a crafting henchman... then let them role play a crafting henchman. It doesn't effect my game what someone else is doing with game.

Why take something out, then give us the toolset to put it back in?! I think the devs need to do less Nerfy and more Patchy. There is more important things to be done in this game then crafting henchmen.

Besides... what do you think is going to happen when more companions are added? Um... one is going to sit back and craft....

Link Copied to Clipboard