Print Thread
#550262 04/09/14 08:00 PM
D
Deonnim Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I just picked up the game last night, mostly due to watching the vids of it that GamezGlitchz put together and all of the good reviews I read.

Considering that I'm a huge PPRPG fan, I know that customization and min/max of chars is very timely with these types of games. Since this will be my first play through of the game, I'm just trying to get an idea of if I should go with the pregen chars at first, or try to put together something I might like. I went digging last night through everything, and since it looks like there isn't an easy way to fix a mistake during character build, I'd like to try and make decent choices right off the bat.

Can anyone suggest what a "good" (I know that term is relative) combo of starting characters would be. I'm guessing that once I get my henchman, I can fill in any holes that my main chars have. I'm so accustomed to the "standard" four class needs of PPRPG's that I'd like to not have bang my head against a wall to get through or re-roll because I was an idiot in my choices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R
R
I would love to help you out, since there is a lock of information as to what classes you would like to play or how you generally play I will just assume the following: You are a min/maxer and want to combine versatily with usefulness and you won't take lonewof. I will further assume that you will pick up the NPC's the game provides which are: Madora "fighter-type" and Jahan "Air/water mage-type".

So that is a lot of assumptions and they are the mother of all **** ups, but in my defence, if you had been a bit more specific I wouldn't have to assume all this.

Knowing that the npc's will be a knight and mage you could just say ok then I want to fill in the gaps myself and grab a dex based character that way you kinda have all the 3 basics down, I personally am a huge fan of the archer. Not only because I just really like that class in general (not just in this game) but in this game it's the only class that gets the maximum out of perception, has a ton of special arrows (imo 5/23 are good the others are fun but sub-par) and it will have a ton of abilities.

So that leads to me saying: "Do make yourself an archer!."

(If you eventually want tips/advice/help on how to build it feel to ask.)

As far as your second character goes, it doesn't really mind. In fact it doesn't really matter what any of your 2 classes will be, the game is suited for any class combination you see fit. I suggested a dex character because it would let you experience a str, dex and int based class right frm the get go.

The second character can be anything that you want it to be, assuming you do take an archer, you will have physical ranged, physical melee and caster support covered. So you could make another caster character. And depending on what you like, you can make a "figher-mage" type or just a mage of your own. (I suggest taking up pyro and earth as main schools on your own mage, mostly because the other mage is water/air and this let's you see all the spells in the game.)

My most enjoyable playthrough was my 2nd one, I made an archer and battlemage and they had a ton of versatility, leaving all my options open. Although I have to say I did my 1st playthrough on easy so by that time I kinda knew what to expect, so this was also the playthrough in which I optimized everything.

Conclusion/Recommendation:

Grab an archer and grab something that you yourself would thoroughly enjoy playing!

With kind regards,

Rashar.

D
Deonnim Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Don't worry, Rashar, your assumptions were pretty much spot on. I'd like to at least experience the game to its fullest my first time through, which would mean using the NPCs. Otherwise I would take Lone Wolf and see what I could do.

I should have been more specific in my first post, thought I had been, but apparently what I wrote wasn't what I was saying in my head. I've done some looking around the forums last night, and I agree that a Ranger would probably be fun to play, and I'll end up taking a magic user as my second. Can't hurt to spread all the elements across two characters, and that way I can focus on my NPCs to fill in the holes as needed.

Thanks again for your tips. I'm going to try my hand at rolling a ranger and possibly battlemage or mage tonight and seeing how I do with it. I'm leaning more towards an actual magic user, just so I don't have to concentrate too much on balancing out all of my stats. From what I've read, if I can concentrate on a limited amount of abilities to raise, the better off my character will be.

Is it worth it to take Glass Cannon on both of those characters? I was thinking that one of the four would be a summoner to help the Knight with tanking. And from there, I'll figure out the rest I suppose. The game looks amazing, and I'll probably want to play it again, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem for experiencing a few different classes.

apprentice
apprentice
Yes, Glasscannon is worth it for each and every character.

R
R
I need to go soon, so my reply will be short but I will get back to this, later tonight.

You can have 1 summon per character, to a total of four summons. I got the idea you took you can only have 1 summon to literal.

And you basicly want glass cannon on each character, it is the uncontested best talent this game has to offer. (save your talent @ level 3 and use it @ level 5 to take up glass cannon.)

As far as battlemage/mage is concerned, both are great casters, a pure mage however will have more schools maxed while the battle mage probably has 1 caster school maxed.

Sadly have to be somehwere now, so good luck and have fun building!

*poof!!! smoke&mirrors*

With kind regards,

Rashar.

Link Copied to Clipboard