Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#554806 16/09/14 04:35 PM
LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
So one of the new companions is a rogue. I want to use him but to be honest I have no idea how to run one. I tried once but it was a complete failure. I could sneak and get in a good first attack but it wouldn't kill and it would always leave me surrounded by enemies that just take be out quickly due to light armor. Obviously lock-picking and disarming traps is pointless in this game, so I just kind of left the rogue alone.

But now I want to try this new guy, but need some help as to how to use him effectively.

Thanks.

R
stranger
stranger
R
The game i just finished this week had a more or less pure class rogue as one of the mains. I had a lot of fun using her after she passed level 9 or 10. I lucked into a series of daggers that had good chances to blind.

So I would use walk in shadows at the start of her turn, or tactical retreat to position her behind an enemy caster. Stabbity stab until said caster was blinded and then move to a second nearby enemy is I had the action points. Else wise I'd end the turn in sneak mode and repeat.

I used her as my scout, carrying oil barrels or ooze barrels to set up some nice conflagrations to whittle large mobs down quickly.

I found the challenge of her survivability enjoyable. There were plenty of those moments when she was in the middle of a group of enemies having failed to blind or otherwise disable her target, while the rest of the party's attacks similarly produced less than stellar results, but only had to retreat her from the action a handful of times. With high dexterity, she was very good at evading attacks.

By the time she was level 18, she was consistently doing the greatest amount of damage per party member with her backstab attacks at two per attack and the ability to attack several times in a single round.

Skills-wise, I got a lot of use out of walk in shadows, charming touch, daggers drawn and wind-up toy. fast track was helpful in a few situations.

So in short, I found the rogue to be a good utility role useful for precise disabling of enemies in combat.

E
stranger
stranger
E
The key to survivability is getting Sneak to 5 (by any means) as soon as possible. Sneaking does, in fact, work in combat - you can sneak for 1 AP before every attack for a 2x damage bonus, and as long as your rogue goes after edge enemies, you can sneak at the end of your turn to avoid retaliation.

LeBurns Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I never realized you could sneak again mid-turn. I guess I'm too used to the sneak mechanics of other RPG games.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
As a newcomer to RPG I played a ranger/rogue mix.

While I can confirm the rogue is absolutely valid, together with sneak it has at least 3 possibilities to avoid combat retaliation, I found myself in the end solely playing the ranger side.

Easy to spot why: A rogue requires considerably more work and preparation to shine, simple as that.

Regards,
Thorsten

A
stranger
stranger
A
I used a rogue/ranger with some aero (for invisibility, lightning move-around-skill and a lightning shield to fight in pools of water). I used this on a coop with a friend who did a fire/earth mage, and he was usually just annoyed with me for the first 10 levels or so as I kept dying and fumbling while he litteraly burned everything to the ground. But between 10 and 20 it really starts to grow, and became the best one for single-target damage and crowd control.

It gives alot of different tactical options, but the drawback is that if you position yourself wrong, you die very fast. As someone said, you really need 5 sneak on a rogue(and guerilla trait). Togheter with a couple of jumping away and invisibilty tricks, this works a charm. Lone Wolf probably makes it easier, but I manage without that.

If you like to have lots of options and enjoy a challenge - the rogue is for you.

Edit: Since it's my first post I should probably say something like "I haven't enjoyed a game this much in years". Which is true, I really love this one.

Last edited by aguds; 17/09/14 07:02 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard