Next Thread
Print Thread
#556125 30/09/14 07:36 PM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
I loved this game the whole way through. It was one of those games that just SUCKED time up. I'd say tomyself, just a half hour, and bam, 3 hours were gone.

And then i got to the last boss, strife and leandra. And what a total, f****** pain the ass it was. It wasn't so much a difficulty spike as a right angle upwards.

No matter what i do, either kill leandra and the lose out to a war of attrition with death knights, or kill the strife, AND STILL lose to the death knights and leandrea.

And dont get me started on having an NPC who you can't control and whos death will trigger a game over.

Disappointed, and honestly, just pissed off. In my opinion the last fight is a poorly designed POS. Its difficult not because of the mechanics, but just because they made it absurdly hard for no reason.

Seriously, i'm really, really annoyed. There's no way i would recommend this to any of my friends right now.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by anomagnus
I loved this game the whole way through. It was one of those games that just SUCKED time up. I'd say tomyself, just a half hour, and bam, 3 hours were gone.

And then i got to the last boss, strife and leandra. And what a total, f****** pain the ass it was. It wasn't so much a difficulty spike as a right angle upwards.

No matter what i do, either kill leandra and the lose out to a war of attrition with death knights, or kill the strife, AND STILL lose to the death knights and leandrea.

And dont get me started on having an NPC who you can't control and whos death will trigger a game over.

Disappointed, and honestly, just pissed off. In my opinion the last fight is a poorly designed POS. Its difficult not because of the mechanics, but just because they made it absurdly hard for no reason.

Seriously, i'm really, really annoyed. There's no way i would recommend this to any of my friends right now.

I didn't like the last fight either. Basically the same complaints.

But uh... I would still recommend the game to anybody, since it's only the last fight (and maybe some few other ones) that were this annoying. I've played other games that had really crappy end fights or even end sequences.. would still recommend them.

Actually, wait, I don't even remember fighting Leandra. Think I convinced her out of fighting. But yeah, the Void Dragon was unnecessary health bloat. I hate health bloat.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The problem with great, epic games is that, almost invariably, the end is a letdown in some respect. In my case, when I'm in the midst of a game I love as thoroughly as this one, I keep consciously and unconsciously putting off the end because I don't want the game to end--ever...:D Sometimes I'll get 90% done with a game I put in this category and then decide on a whim to start over with a few changes and play it on out, again. I'm already on my third D:OS start and doing everything I can to put off that final moment--again. Haven't finished it yet and that is A-OK with me! (If I never finish then I can never be put off by the ending.) Eventually, though, I will finish this game but I have no doubt that my largest disappointment will be that it is over.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
journeyman
journeyman
When will game developers realise the importance of an ending.
Movies can be great to watch but they only make a genuine lasting impression on you if the ending is great. Same with books.
And it is no less important, especially in role playing games, that an ending deserves special attention.
Mind you, I say this with reservation about DOS as I have not yet completed the game.
Still I believe my point is valid.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by stubbie
When will game developers realise the importance of an ending.
Movies can be great to watch but they only make a genuine lasting impression on you if the ending is great. Same with books.
And it is no less important, especially in role playing games, that an ending deserves special attention.
Mind you, I say this with reservation about DOS as I have not yet completed the game.
Still I believe my point is valid.
When they stop spending so much time working on the beginning that they run out of time to make the ending interesting.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
End is disappointing anyways, that even happens with great books (for - older - people interested in fantasy e.g. Patricia McKillip or Ursula K. LeGuin.

I got my moneyï½´s worth with this game - Steam says I already played 600 hours. Thus the end is simply the end (sigh).

Regards,
Thorsten

Link Copied to Clipboard