Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#556561 07/10/14 06:50 AM
gbnf Offline OP
OP Offline
Sometimes 1 of my 2 processors will collapse while playing this game. It doesn't matter what I am doing with the exception of combat. If I am interacting with a vendor or just moving around suddenly the game will collapse. If I was moving around my party will be going in whatever direction I was going. If I was interacting with a vendor, whatever item I was looking at will be locked to the current character.

Current specs: Intel dual core 2.9 GHz
Geforce GTX 460 2GB GDDRS
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

enthusiast
enthusiast
What do you mean "collapse". Is it crashing? And how can that happen with just one of 2 processors? Please clarify.

gbnf Offline OP
OP Offline
I mean I will be doing almost anything outside of combat where suddenly the game will collapse. It doesn't crash requiring me to restart the game/computer. I always have my windows task manager up for anything I do on my computer. When this collapse happens one of the 2 cpu's will go from 70-90% to zero. I have updated my video card drivers, checked for firmware updates. I wish I had some programming experience to better explain this current headache.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok, I get it. I do have experience in this (this is me https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jacob-marner/0/3b7/433)

What you are experiencing are not necessarily a problem. Do you experience frame rate drops when this occurs?

D:OS is clearly running multithreaded and that is good, but by default it is the OS that decides what threads go on what CPU.

Most game engines run most in the mean thread and then have various helper tasks running on worker threads (I guess this is the case on D:OS as well). So I see two ways this can happen:

1. It might just be that there is little work for the worker threads after a while. E.g. the engine can be doing caching for a while and when it is done the workers shut down.
2. It might be that something else happened on your computer causing a spike in CPU usage causing the OS to move the threads to your first CPU. And if that CPU is not the bottle neck they will not be moved back.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard