Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I'm just coming back to this game, back when I quit gaining access to all the necessary skill books was near impossible, I'm wondering if it's better now or if it's still hard to get what you need?

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Depends on what you call hard. If you really want more or less all - develop craft 5, often what is not available as a book is available as scrolls. And open every damn thing that can be opened during exploration.

If you only want and need some good ones for crowd control especially, none at all. You ight want to do 2 things - visit traders after every level advance and buy off some low level skill books (which are cheap). In my running playthrough the traders did not always restock skillbooks if nothing was bought or they restocked only every x-th level.

Latest at Hunters Edge you will find some of the highest level spells available, notably meteor storm and hail storm guaranteed.

Regards,
Thorsten Haupts

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I've found it's pretty easy to get what I need, but I went for crafting level 5 early and have been visiting everyone I see after each level up.

Support
Support

That depends on what you need. There are still unique skill books in pre-set locations.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
So it depends both on what you call hard and need, BlackMarch. Hope that clears things up. wink

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Well, I remember not being able to get 2 copies of Whirlwind for instance. Same about Dust Devil.

And lets face it, having a Warrior without Whirlwind or Dust Devil is more or less completely pointless.

So stuff like that, is it still a problem or did they fix it so we get access to the skill books we need to level up?

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by BlackMarch
Well, I remember not being able to get 2 copies of Whirlwind for instance. Same about Dust Devil.

And lets face it, having a Warrior without Whirlwind or Dust Devil is more or less completely pointless.

So stuff like that, is it still a problem or did they fix it so we get access to the skill books we need to level up?

I never had any problem to get what I want, playing with up to 3 warrior hybrids. That of course takes the elemental rooms in homestead into account - in these cases fire (which comes with Men at arms) is the first.

And is it not the point of a RPG that you adapt playstyle to environment? So if no second whirlwind available, switch to battlemage e.g.?

Regards,
Thorsten

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Thorsten
And is it not the point of a RPG that you adapt playstyle to environment? So if no second whirlwind available, switch to battlemage e.g.?

What kind of advice is that?

People have a right to want to build parties the way they choose. For instance, they want a party to be able to cover several bases, with each party member in a specific niche. They may have built their stats in a specific way that is not suited to switch niches.

They may have already played battlemages before and now want to try something different. Telling them to "just work with what they have," is useless because it doesn't solve anyone's problem at all.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Interesting. If in a tactical warfare game you can't get enough aircraft for your wishes (not available, too expensive, whatever) you are forced to adapt force composition.

Thus if you miss a specific spell in a RPG you might be forced to switch character composition. Which a) I feel is perfectly normal for a RPG - how boring if everything is guaranteed. And b) there is no spell (including whirlwind) essential in a way it is gamebreaking to not have it. Add c) there is always (!) the possibility to include crafting in your builds, even if not planned before.

Regards,
Thorsten

Last edited by Thorsten; 23/11/14 11:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
I still don't agree with you, Thorston, but I've said my piece and am not interested in arguing. I thought of an interesting idea.

In the Shelter plane, there are elemental sub-planes which have elementals that can train you in some skills: Air/Rogue, Earth/Witchcraft, Ice/Ranger, Fire/Warrior.

They only sell skillbooks, but what if in addition to selling skillbooks, they could actually train you in any skill you meet the requirements for through dialogue:

Player: "I'd like you to train me in Earth Magic."
Peat: "What would you like to learn?"
1. Midnight Oil (300 Gold or whatever the skillbook cost is)
2. Magical Poison Dart (300 Gold)
3. Fortify (400 gold)

And that way, even if the actual skill book is not available for purchase, you can still pay gold to learn the skill.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Wouldn't it be more straightforward for them to always have the skill book instead if that's the intent?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vardis
Wouldn't it be more straightforward for them to always have the skill book instead if that's the intent?

Good point.

Link Copied to Clipboard