Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Okay, in the Dark Forest, halfway between the entrance and Hunter's Edge, there's an island with a group of about 5 Mud Huntresses on it.

Those guys are A&&HOLES.

They can easily do a party wipe, even on my party of equal level, because they do an insane amount of damage. On the first turn, they kill my tanks and still have enough AP to also leave my wizards half-dead.

Only my Shadowblade has enough initiative to go first, and Madora has enough to go after one of them, but then four Mud Huntresses go in a row. That rules out crowd control, because I have to focus on healing just to not get wiped, except there's only so much healing magic to go around. Item-healing is worthless.

This has the appearance of just a generic encounter, nothing special, but there have been a lot of bosses that were much easier than this.

These pricks:
  • have 1423 hitpoints
  • Do 299-410 damage per hit
  • Can attack twice each turn
  • Have a good initiative score and can move pretty fast in the turn order
  • Heal from Earth Damage
  • Are highly resistant to Poison and Water damage

And there are FIVE of them. That's potentially 2990-4100 to spread out over four people PER TURN. My total HP combined is 3965.

It's really jarring how difficult it is compared to what came before.

Last edited by Stabbey; 20/12/14 01:06 PM. Reason: initiative
veteran
veteran
That's really hard to handle & survive !

And I wonder how much "Loremaster - points" I must invest to know the weak spots of enemies like their resistance ... ?
Loremaster 5 or many more ?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Joram
That's really hard to handle & survive !

And I wonder how much "Loremaster - points" I must invest to know the weak spots of enemies like their resistance ... ?
Loremaster 5 or many more ?

I wouldn't say "really hard", I'd say "impossible". EDIT: Nevermind, I beat it.

A straight-up fight will not work at all, though. The only good healing is from magic, and even that is not good enough to keep up with the damage output these guys can dish out. Maybe I'll come back at level 20 and see if I can deal with them then.

You need 5 Loremaster to see everything. That's not hard, as it's a common suffix on rings and amulets.

Last edited by Stabbey; 21/12/14 03:51 PM. Reason: neermind
old hand
old hand
I don't remember them but when I played the game I don't remember any of it being very difficult - cept at the very start where i missed an entire section so I ended up doing things a bit difficult. Mind you I played before most of the patches so things might have changed (I intend to play again when the story re-work patch goes out next year). Where exactly are these mud huntress ? I want to revisit them. For the life of me I can't remember which area was the darkforest oddly can't find it on google - i think this is after boret but before the phnatom forest ? The area with trolls and the hut that is magically locked ?

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The waypoint at the start is for the Phantom Forest. Follow the road southeast, it goes alongside a river. There's an island with the mud huntresses on it, you pass right by. They're completely optional and skippable, it's just bizarre what a difficulty spike it is.

Just now, I actually beat the fight, with only two deaths.

I do use crowd control in most fights, but in this one it's simply a matter of "use CC or die". I put the party into Sneak, got as close as I can, and had Jahan cast Blind on one of them. He died of course, but this time I didn't worry about bringing him back immediately.

Using Sneak to start fights does odd things to the turn order. In this case, all the enemies go first and all my party members go last, but in this case, it started in the middle of the turn with my party going. My Shadowblade used Stun, Madora used Crushing Fist, My Wizard used Boulderdrop to try and knock down two more (but only got one).

From that point on, it was a matter of juggling sure-to-hit status effects, buffing and healing wherever possible. I brought Jahan back, I think on Turn 3. His job was mostly blinding and Slowing, with some healing as well. Madora used AoE attacks and had her armour buffed (and even drank an armour potion). It was about making sure that as few of them as possible were capable of attacking at any time. My Shadowblade was killed by an Attack of Opportunity when moving in for a backstab, but by that time there was only one left.

Without a doubt, that was the hardest fight so far (although admittedly, I missed out on the boss in the firey area in Luculla North

I bypassed the demons guarding the Bloodstone
).

Last edited by Stabbey; 21/12/14 04:24 PM.
old hand
old hand
Is this the area after you cross the poisonous mist ? If so I probably have an old save from before I finished the game that I can backtrack and see if they are still there or dead.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Before the mist. South, along the water. Between the waypoint/entrance to the mist and Hunter's Edge. I didn't bother going into the mist because it has the clear look of "place you will be sent to later".

old hand
old hand
Ok I tried to find this place but can't - is it near the hunter edge portal ? I went from hunger edge all the way along the river until I go to lucinda forest.
-
Right now I'm standing by the log with the green mist which has a way point teleport (phantom forest)
-
per chance you have x/y coordinates ? I'm at x:121 y:38. There is a bridge a x:246, y:66. Anyway my guess is I killed them and never thought much of it but I want to double check !

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
You must have killed them, because you passed the point where they were. Providing coordinates is pointless.

old hand
old hand
Still if you have the coordinates handy I think it woudl be useful to post them; btw what difficulty are you playing ?

Last edited by meme; 25/12/14 01:39 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Well, a good reminder that crowd control is much more important than damage.

I never encountered any difficulty beating this group, but I usually opened all of the 5 past fights wth a static cloud arrow.

Regards,
Thorsten

Link Copied to Clipboard