Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
I
stranger
stranger
I
So the reason for the delay boils down to shitty middleware. I would actually like Larian to explicitly call out the middleware in question in order to make it obvious to other developers and potential Kickstarter backers what kind of crap they should avoid.

I am happy to hear that Larian is attempting to develop their own cross platform implementation of whatever this unspecified middleware provided, as this means that possible future Linux ports of their games will be faster; we'll see how it works out for them. But until Larian can deliver something more tangible than promises I am going to be exceedingly wary of sending my money to Larian again.

Support
Support

This week there will be an announcement about the next update, including the Linux version.

UBBCode is disabled on new accounts to discourage spam (no clickable links), as well as other restrictions; if you edit your post and submit it, the quote and italics will work now.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Got asked for my banking information on a paypal refund, so hopefully that can be cleared up soon. Not interested in sending that type of information, especially since it's not needed for paypal.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Still have not received my refund, after a week. It'd be nice if the support team were more responsive.

Support
Support

Yesterday and today are holidays in Belgium.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I see... hopefully I will get a response soon, this weekend or early next week then. Think I've been patient enough...

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I also saw the annoucement about the new edition. That dosen't change my interest in a refund, I still want the promised refund.

So far, it seems that the Linux version will still be a long ways coming, and may release after the Windows and Mac again, with the earlier talk of Linux development being halted (not wanting to merge multiple branches). Because of these, I still want a refund, and I will wait and see if the promised Linux support is delivered.

Until then, it seems like another promise that may not be delivered, especially since the DX11 renerer was talked about at length, but nothing about updates to Linux, such as fixing your middleware issues.

Could someone clarify something for me?

Larian is moving forward with a new version of D:OS, promising Linux support before the current version even has a public beta? Am I understanding this correctly, because that would be kind of dickish.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Support
Support

The Enhanced Edition is the new branch of code referred to in the OP.
The release version was out of date when the last patch was released (with specific updates and fixes moved to that branch of code), while the Linux version was on an even older branch at the time. Updating the Linux engine for the release version and then again for the Enhanced Edition was not practical (and would have further delayed the Linux release), so it is just being updated for the Enhanced Edition.

So what you are saying, Raze, is that the current branch's development is being restricted to patching and Linux, thereby giving the devs the chance to weork on the engine with a game that isn't a moving target?

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Support
Support

When the Linux engine was finished it was quite out of date, with the delays due to middleware, etc. There was the release branch of the game, which was more up to date, though of course didn't include any of the things still being worked on (harder difficulty mode, new skills and abilities, etc). That work in progress branch of code is what will become the Enhanced Edition.
The Linux version is skipping the D:OS release, and being updated to the most current version for the Enhanced Edition.

M
mbf Offline
stranger
stranger
M
I am so confused by this latest update. It is referred to as a "completely new game based [] on Original Sin", but then he talks about it as if it is just an modified edition. Which is it?

Did I pay for one game and got a different one? I don't think this is it...I think he was just trying (again) to--as someone else put it--use weasel words to sell this enhancement stuff. This whole thing is so bizarre haha.

old hand
old hand
I think if you read Swen's latest blog post you'll get an idea of why it's both really. They started out making a big patch with some content changes but it grew to the point of touching core game and quest mechanics such that it was no longer compatible with the original. You can't release a patch that breaks your saved games, so it's coming out as an EE. It sounds like it will certainly fit the designation. I don't see any duplicity, just something that was evolutionary.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Support
Support

I'm not sure why the 'completely' is in there, but the 'new game' means it is being released separately. As Windemere said, there were many changes to quests, skills, abilities, etc, that it would be impossible to maintain save compatibility, in addition to the updates to the game engine (switching to DX 11 on Windows rather than 9c, etc).

The Enhanced Edition is free if you own D:OS; Swen wasn't trying to 'sell this enhancement stuff'.

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by mbf
I am so confused by this latest update. It is referred to as a "completely new game based [] on Original Sin", but then he talks about it as if it is just an modified edition. Which is it?

I'll guess it's like what happened with Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga. Some places and quests were heavily reworked while others didn't change.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze
The Linux version is skipping the D:OS release, and being updated to the most current version for the Enhanced Edition.

I am glad with that. I'd rather see a linux version in a progressive branch which can also be used for new games and wait another few months before I can play it.
Gives me some time to finish Divine Divinity, which I stopped playing after a crash with a 4 hour gameplay lost from my last savegame :-(.
Hmmm, should actually try that on my current desktop (armhf) with qemu.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by SirDirty
Originally Posted by Raze

I am glad with that. I'd rather see a linux version in a progressive branch which can also be used for new games and wait another few months before I can play it.

Same here. Means I actually may replay on Linux once it is out, which I would not have done if it was exact the same game, only at a different patchlevel. Still, remains to be seen how different it really is.

What has me worried though is the following statement from Swen: "[...] it壮 better the Enhanced Edition has Linux support instead of the original D:OS. It improves the chances of our future games having Linux support too, though I don稚 want to commit to that just yet."

With more and more of the games I like coming out on Linux, there comes a point where I just can no longer be bothered with Windows. Would be a shame to miss out on "that very big RPG that will dwarf them all".

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Still waiting on the refund, hopefully that gets processed soon...

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by d10sfan

You really want to quit after waiting for 2 years?
It's like being at 95%, and then wanting to go back.
Of course you have every right, because you have supported them for bringing out a linux version (I also did not play it yet).
But they had to cut some corners (as they were almost bankrupt) and pre-release the real D:OS (which is now called enhanced) to get a cash-flow again.
So our version (the linux version) is not the pre-release, but the version as Sven intended it, the version I actually payed for. Kinda like GTA-V for console and now GTA-V for pc (which I cannot play, damned principals).

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by SirDirty
Originally Posted by d10sfan

You really want to quit after waiting for 2 years?
It's like being at 95%, and then wanting to go back.
Of course you have every right, because you have supported them for bringing out a linux version (I also did not play it yet).
But they had to cut some corners (as they were almost bankrupt) and pre-release the real D:OS (which is now called enhanced) to get a cash-flow again.
So our version (the linux version) is not the pre-release, but the version as Sven intended it, the version I actually payed for. Kinda like GTA-V for console and now GTA-V for pc (which I cannot play, damned principals).

My issue is that I don't really trust that it will actually be released on Linux and we've been waiting a long time. I hope it is, but I'd rather get my money back and have the option to buy it later once the support is actually there

Last edited by d10sfan; 19/05/15 05:26 PM.
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard