Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Joined: Mar 2015
K
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
K
Joined: Mar 2015
Originally Posted by Raze
ka1man;
It was also mentioned in the comments for the latest blog post that there is an OpenGL build for Windows, as well, but Swen wasn't familiar with the details and thought there were some problems with it. Assuming those issues can be resolved, that may potentially remove the requirement for a DX 11 card in Windows.

That wasn't my point, though hehe.

I just wanted to illustrate that a cheap, 7 year old PC is sufficient to run a game like D:OS EE (on Linux).

OpenGL drivers on Windows (for consumer-grade GPUs) are definitely worse than their DX counterparts (and most likely deliberately so). OpenGL on OSX is also worse than it could be. So the (proprietary) Linux drivers may actually be the best of the bunch. As I said, I've no worries that D:OS EE for Linux would not run on my box.

In all fairness, I have to add that I run stuff at 1280x1024 only ... my 13yo LCD also fails to die on me :-(.

Joined: Jun 2014
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Jun 2014
Just to chime in:
The D:OS enhanced version is D:OS as it should have been but to budgetting problems could not be before a new funding took place.
So you have to look at it this way:
D:OS current -> D:OS pre-release to get cashflow
D:OS enhanced -> D:OS (as it should have been)
So we linux users are getting the version that we payed for at kickstarter.
2 years of waiting is nothing compared to ordering an openpandora, that took for some 3 years to deliver.
To be able to create the good version that we are getting, the developers have worked their asses of to get the pre-release sold. Their very job was in jeopardy.
With the new cash-flow the developers could finally continue our good version.
So developers, larian, I thank you for the risks you took. And I can wait.
Kickstarter is for funding things like this. The risk is that you might have to wait longer (that's not a might, the question is how long, because no kickstarter delivers in time), have to ask for a refund (linux version not delivered or scrapped), or that your money is really gone. If you cannot be patient, the best is not to fund through kickstarter, but wait for the release.

Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
Originally Posted by Raze
d10sfan;
That was after it was revealed there would be an announcement very soon, which would include information about the Linux version.
There is no 'may'; the EE has been officially announced for Linux and SteamOS.


D:OS was also announced for Linux. laugh

Originally Posted by ka1man
Originally Posted by Raze
ka1man;
It was also mentioned in the comments for the latest blog post that there is an OpenGL build for Windows, as well, but Swen wasn't familiar with the details and thought there were some problems with it. Assuming those issues can be resolved, that may potentially remove the requirement for a DX 11 card in Windows.

That wasn't my point, though hehe.

I just wanted to illustrate that a cheap, 7 year old PC is sufficient to run a game like D:OS EE (on Linux).

OpenGL drivers on Windows (for consumer-grade GPUs) are definitely worse than their DX counterparts (and most likely deliberately so). OpenGL on OSX is also worse than it could be. So the (proprietary) Linux drivers may actually be the best of the bunch. As I said, I've no worries that D:OS EE for Linux would not run on my box.

In all fairness, I have to add that I run stuff at 1280x1024 only ... my 13yo LCD also fails to die on me :-(.


It's hilarious that, if I understood everything correctly, if D:OS:EE ends up being released for Linux after all, I'll actually be able to play it... if I switch to Linux.

That's just so ridiculous on multiple levels it's hard to even believe. Not even sure whether to laugh or cry at Larian's idiocy on the issue.

Last edited by Luckmann; 21/05/15 12:19 PM.
Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
Just got my refund, thanks for that. Hoping to see more news about the Linux versoin soon

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Yes, there was a Linux version planned for D:OS. See the first post in this topic.
That's different than the EE being announced with Linux and SteamOS support.

"Larian's idiocy"? You're the one complaining you will not be able to immediately play the EE. I would think the possibility you may be able to play it would not also invoke complaints.

Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
Originally Posted by Raze

Yes, there was a Linux version planned for D:OS. See the first post in this topic.
That's different than the EE being announced with Linux and SteamOS support.

"Larian's idiocy"? You're the one complaining you will not be able to immediately play the EE. I would think the possibility you may be able to play it would not also invoke complaints.


Ah, yes, of course, because I'm absolutely going to install a completely different OS just so I can play one game. That's completely reasonable. rolleyes

Joined: Dec 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2013
I am not affiliated with Larian in any way Luckmann, so allow me to express what is probably on many a mind.

You are really FUCKING STUPID.

And because, being one, you are quite likely unable to comprehend just how it is people can reach said conclusion in regards to your person:

You will be able to play the EE on ALL, ALL platforms. For free.
In fact, despite better graphics, full camera angle (meaning areas are fully drawn now, ie more to render) more content, more audio to read, etc etc, Swen has stated that the perfomance is better than it was on the old, DX9 version.
Now if the above presents an insurmountable challenge for your brain to overcome, allow me to assist you further:

TLDR? I strongly suggest you seek a lobotomist.

Raze? Can't you lock this thread? You guys left it open for people to complain when they had a right to, and that was pretty nice of you. Now that they no longer do..


Pride, honour and purity
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
Originally Posted by Aenra
I am not affiliated with Larian in any way Luckmann, so allow me to express what is probably on many a mind.

You are really FUCKING STUPID.

And because, being one, you are quite likely unable to comprehend just how it is people can reach said conclusion in regards to your person:

You will be able to play the EE on ALL, ALL platforms. For free.

[...]


Oh, the delicious irony of calling someone else fucking stupid yet failing the most basic of reading comprehension. laugh

I realize these are the official boards, but the fanboyism is just out of all proportion.

Last edited by Luckmann; 21/05/15 06:28 PM.
Joined: Apr 2013
M
mbf Offline
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Apr 2013
@SirDirty: You are missing the point on what people are complaining about. I should preface by saying (as I've said before) that the wait was _not_ the main reason I ever posted on this thread. The problem is not that we had to wait. The problem is that we were the _only ones_ who had to wait and exorbitant amount of time, and we never got very much acknowledgement except a few tidbits of non-information and outright BS. You don't think people have a right to demand for more, but that's your own opinion...one which you don't seem to support well.

a) I paid for D:OS, not D:OS EE. I wanted--within reasonable error--to get the same experience than every other person who supported the game.

b) Comparing a game to a piece of hardware is questionable to begin with. But Pandora was an entirely different beast, where uncertainty was a much bigger unknown. The two year delay for _this_ project are not within reasonable expectation for the size of the team working on it, and the reasons given are comedic. Linux support was clearly put on the lowest priority of the Larian backburner. Whether you are OK with it or not is not remotely constructive to the conversation.

I am glad you are indifferent to the situation, but why are you even saying so here? Having a circlejerk of hate is not productive, but all anybody wanted was to either communicate to the team (you are not part of it) or to get some answers (you provided none). The only conclusion I can draw is that you are just trying to be antagonistic.

@Aenra, Unlike SirDirty, you are just being a troll. Find something more productive? It wouldn't be unreasonable for this thread to be locked at this point, but it would be even more warranted to ban you. Being a clown that just tries to make others feel bad is low and that seems to be something that has no place in this forum.

Joined: Dec 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2013
You have been taught, as it is a norm most essential to the well being of our westernised world, that the hardest step a person can take is to look, really look, in the mirror.
Whereas in fact, the hardest step one can initiate for themselves is the one that ---enables--- them to comprehend just WHAT it is the mirror is showing them.

Petty, insignificant details for some, but nonetheless.
This is a public forum, so you are entitled to your shallow opinions. Simply allow me to state my own, as, it being public, others get to read all this too. If they are as retarded as you two, chances are they might form a wrong impression. We would not necessarily need that.

The facts are simple.
1) a delay. Fact. As such, complains regarding the previous version valid.
2) a "proper" release, playable on all platforms, aka EE version incoming. Fact. All complaints null.

You could not run it in all platforms. Once (re)launched you will. Your waiting is already included, see fact one. There.
Now re-read your posts, and attempt to eploy something beyond your usual scope, ie some grey matter. Form your own conclusions about the manner, and content, of your own posts. In light of that. You need not come back here and phrase it, if saving some 'face' is paramount to you, you can always keep your conclusions to your selves. The world will happily continue to move onwards.



Pride, honour and purity
Joined: Feb 2015
F
stranger
Offline
stranger
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Originally Posted by Aenra

The facts are simple.
2) a "proper" release, playable on all platforms, aka EE version incoming. Fact. All complaints null.


You might want to look up the definition of a fact. 2) is as much of a "fact" as the fact that D:OS original was promised to be delivered for Linux. That hasn't happened so it is in fact not a fact, just as its not a fact that EE will come to Linux just because Larian is saying so. The only fact here is that the game has not been delivered for Linux as promised.

And, don't mind me asking, why are you replying in this thread? You seem to have no interest in the Linux version besides flaming people in this thread that actually do have an interest in it.

Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
R
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Is there any "Ignore" function on this forum? I am sick and tired of the infantile nonsense that is written by a certain user (you know who) that knows as much about software development as an ox knows about origami.

Back on topic: I would have wished for D:OS on Linux earlier, much earlier. However, I have been involved in software and hardware development, so I know that as soon as the D:OS code branch was abandoned in favor of EE, there was no reasonable expectation for a Linux version based on "old" D:OS. At this stage, nothing should be done on the old code branch except fixing show stopper bugs.

Such is life. Accept it and be happy to get a new, better game without any additional cost.


Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Click on a user name and then 'View profile', and there is a link to 'Ignore this user' in the menu under the profile picture and details.

Joined: Jan 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2014
Man, looking through this entire thread makes me thank my lucky stars that I am skilled and wise enough to be able to use BOTH Linux and Windows operating systems. The arguments and blatant inability to read information is somewhat insulting, though that was mainly due to a small number of participants (and the thread derailing, good job Raze for keeping this stuff on track, you did pretty awesome).

But basically, tl;dr you guys are getting an official linux version, no ifs ands or buts.

If you don't have a gpu that can run dx11, pm me and I'm sure we can work out a deal.

Joined: Feb 2015
F
stranger
Offline
stranger
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Originally Posted by Haleseen

But basically, tl;dr you guys are getting an official linux version, no ifs ands or buts.


We've known this for about a year. We are just wondering when it comes. I'm not really keen on waiting another 12 months.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

The Enhanced Edition will be released this year; it'll be months, but not 12.

Joined: Apr 2013
M
mbf Offline
stranger
Offline
stranger
M
Joined: Apr 2013
@Aenra Even for a forum, that is the most inane diatribe I have ever read in my life. Granted, I read forums once every blue moon. I know you think that you put someone in their place, and I am glad for you. Entertaining a simpleton (as evidenced by the entirely gratuitous and uninspired aggression) is fine by me. If you want me to reciprocate some advice, just stay exactly who you are...being an angry clown seems to be your only marginally redeemable quality. Or maybe you are just constipated 24/7, no judgement then.

@Haleseen I don't need to dual-boot, and being able to do that is not a remarkable skill. I am a graduate student doing solid state physics simulations and analyze/present data every day and not once have I needed to use Windows. So...please explain to me, in my position, why exactly would it be "wise" of me to use Windows? To play a videogame? I beg you to enlighten me. And nobody is having a hard time reading anything, except perhaps you. See, people are reacting to the information that they read, not to any particular misconception in what they read. "no ifs and buts" you say...really? here is very simple but: ...but you have to keep waiting. Honestly, not a huge deal in the big scheme of things, but clear proof that you are not even trying to make sense.

Honestly, I didn't know nonconstructive and unwarranted hostile posting was the modus operandi of this forum. You guys are not providing any information, you are not giving any new perspective on the issue, and you are not even being humorous. Clearly you just want to alienate people to make yourself feel superior. At this point I don't even think it is trolling, just some self-important nonsense. At worst, complaining is childish. But your aimless bullying is truly just low.

protip: if you think a thread is dumb, ignore it and let it die. It doesn't help your (perverse) ego, but it is constructive to the forum.

tl;dr: zzZZzzZZZZZ

Joined: Jan 2014
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2014
Man, guess you can't read either. I wouldn't think my 1 short post would need several paragraphs to respond to.

1. There's multiple people in the thread who ignored 'The update' that was given in the OP; clearly disregarding information provided.
2. You're limiting yourself if you only use tools generated for one OS when there are multiple, if not better tools and subsystems out there for Windows or Mac rather than just on Linux.

Also, dual booting? That's okay if you need to use one or the other, but often times you need to use both, and using virtual systems/machines are the way to go.


Joined: Dec 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2013
I am not particularly inclined to comment on just what a level of immaturity and insecurity one must be so as to indirectly announce they will be ignoring me prior to actually ignoring me.. Rather than just going ahead and doing so, which is indeed their right and well for them to exercise it;

I can also not find the energy to show in detail, because simply relating something to an autist is pointless, how wall texting something that can fit in a couple of lines will never, ever equate changing it. Fatcs being ..facts.. they are there to remain;

I will only explain, again since apparently each and every one of the "offended" parties seemed to "coincidentally" fail to notice my stating it, that this being a public forum, we got a lot of people coming in to read posts. Yours included. Impressions.
When therefore two simple facts, the second rectifying the issues brought forth by the former, are more than enough to both showcase the entirety of information available and curtail the misinformation, whining and inane commenting previously abundant, you may indeed count on me posting to pinpoint just such facts.

If my way of expressing myself (when in regards to your precious special person) offends you, perhaps you should first take a moment to analyse just what your way of posting signifies, in light of your person, and forfeit focusing on me. If only for the seconds it would take for you to notice that your selfish, ego centered whining aside, nothing, nothing whatsoever has been accomplished here. Hence my typing whatever it is i have so far typed.

If, and i know you actually are, find yourselves incapable of processing the above information, be the mature person and ignore me. Do not respond by simply adding more nonsense to an already nonessical thread. The fact that this thread remains open, and that a Larian employ has to babysit all your complaints even after the company has promised to rectify said Linux delay shows you all you'd need to know in regards to Larian and their ethics. All else is superficial, unwarranted and again, UN-productive.

If you think that people capable of posting NOTHING BUT superficial, unwarranted and again, UN-productive posts are anything but stupid? Then yes, feel free to feel offended by my calling you such. You are more than entitled to. Just do keep in mind that this a company's forum, not your forum. The guidelines here are quite possibly not those that (in your selfishness) you'd wish them to be smile


Pride, honour and purity
Joined: May 2013
member
Offline
member
Joined: May 2013
As far as OS usage goes, I'm of the same mind as mbf. Everything I need runs on Linux. I am not let limiting myself in the least. That is, of course, unless you consider games. Prior to grad school I played enough games that I did boot back and forth between OS, but that time has passed. There are plenty of games that either are native or work under a compatibility layer that I have no need for games that run on neither.

I am gunning for a degree in mathematical physics (my current research, interestingly is also in photoluminescence of quantum dots). I use the following programs:
Vim
GCC
TeXmaker
LibreCalc
Chromium

Tell me, what Windows only alternative would be better? One of the chief reasons desktop Linux is is this state is due to people thinking (falsely) that they actually need Windows for programs.

By the way, mbf, were you by chance at the APS March meet this year?


CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5