Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
enthusiast
enthusiast
@nstgc: Well, 83% (while minGW is for GCC on windows) of the programs that you have listed can be used on Windows as well.

When/if you actually get a job somewhere, you're going to be using professional tools and applications that are most likely to not be supported on a linux OS. If that job only uses only MS Exchange or cares about security the slightest? Good luck having your linux... You have to fit your company, not the other way around.

MATLAB for instance, is primarily for windows operating systems, while it can work on linux it wasn't made specifically for it; and having ample support for the products that you use is key to actually doing anything since you can't do anything if it's broken or won't do what you want.

So to put it simple, why are you limiting yourself to one OS and complaining about why a game isn't working on that OS, when there's another OS that does have the game working on it? You seem to have a good computer and should know that device drives work a hell of a lot better on Windows than on Linux and as such would get a lot better performance on Windows. If anything, why not run Linux in a VM if all you use are basic tools like vim and gcc? That would solve all of your issues.

My reply seems to have contained too much truth and was deleted. I'll try again later.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Support
Support

Posts don't get deleted for too much 'truth', or (non-spam) content at all, except (very rarely) in extreme cases (in which case you would have gotten a PM telling you to knock off whatever it was).

I'm glad to hear that. I've seen harsher responded directed at other users as well as Larian. Mine was directed at Windows, and wasn't all that bad in comparison. Moderation without any indicated reason is something that really gets under my skin.

In that case there seems to have been a server bug.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
stranger
stranger
are we there yet? :o)

i7-4930K w/ 16GB DDR3RAM
GForce GTX780 @ 1920x1080
Linux! (when possible)
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Raze

Click on a user name and then 'View profile', and there is a link to 'Ignore this user' in the menu under the profile picture and details.

Thank you, blessed silence from a certain direction now!

M
stranger
stranger
M
So, this is a long topic, most of it not very informative. I'm not even sure reading it all would help me have a correct idea of where things stand.
What I understand of it:
(Ill call DOS and DOS:EE the respective versions of the game)
- there will be no DOS for linux
- there will be DOS:EE for linux

DOS:EE on Windows has requirements bumped from DX9 to DX11. I don't know what this means on windows (having not used windows for many years) and I have no dea how this translates on linux which uses OGL.

Were the OGL requirements given somewhere?

At the moment I use intel graphic drivers.

Last edited by mleduque; 07/06/15 01:16 PM.
Support
Support

Correct (DX 11 was introduced with Windows 7, with hardware support starting before then, so cards with just DX 10 support are likely more than 5 years old).

The OpenGL requirements have not been given yet.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Thank you.

F
stranger
stranger
F
One year since the game was released. GG Larian

C
stranger
stranger
C
There have been so many things that were discussed in this thread already. But there's one thing I really don't get ... at all: If you sell the linux version one year late, the retail price will have dropped (a lot?) already. So finally this 2 % of your customers who would have been willing paying the full release price ... just don't do that anymore. Many companies act like that. Are you guys aware of the fact, that you lose money?

In fact a CEO of a game studio said in the past: "If only 1 % of our customers would be linux users, it's already worth porting and supporting." If that's somehow true (regardless of the technical problems with the middleware this time)... mh.

Support
Support

Larian is aware of that fact. Part of the delay was unavoidable, and part there were other factors involved that made the chosen path the best option overall, despite the disadvantages.

The price for D:OS hasn't dropped that significantly; the last Steam and GOG sale it was 33% off. When the Enhanced Edition is released some people may want to wait for a discount they figure is appropriate for the age of D:OS, but that is not exclusive to Linux (just more of a potential issue since there is no Linux version of D:OS).

C
stranger
stranger
C
Thank you for the answer! So I expect you guys will try to avoid that in the future since you'll have a ready engine then which would make it possible to have a zero-day-release for Mac and Linux as well, right? wink

PS: Can we expect to have D:OS EE Linux release soon? wink

Last edited by cRaZy-bisCuiT; 07/07/15 01:15 AM.
Support
Support

Yes, the point of doing the extra work for the Linux version (writing stuff to replace the middleware incorrectly assumed to exist) and updating it to the EE version was so the engine would be up to date and there would be the possibility to support Linux at release for future games.
Nothing has been announced about the 2 new RPGs in development, though (except that they are using the same engine and gameplay mechanics, with updates, of course), including supported platforms.

The plan is to release the Linux version the same time as PC (November-ish).

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Raze

The plan is to release the Linux version the same time as PC (November-ish).

Oh rly? That's a long time to wait for. Anyway, now I know what to expect. Possibly I could try out D:OS by the end of the year.

Even though I like kickstarter a lot and also the games you guys develope, I feel like I'll only buy your linux games after they're released.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
If there where no steamOS/hardware announced for this year, we would never see a linux version !
The EE is a console edition of the game and thats the reason why larian in the end released the linux version... steamos final announced for this year
Steamos in november... and EE in... wink like a lot other games too...

Last edited by Garog; 14/08/15 09:58 PM.
Support
Support

If there were no Enhanced Edition the Linux engine would have been updated to the released version of the game, and possibly be out already. SteamOS has nothing to do with the timing.

G
addict
addict
G
Win 10 version (e.g. DX12) uses 2.2% of Steam users. Its few days since release.
All Linux versions together reached whooping 0.89%. Status under 1 percentage is stable for years.

As long as Larians have to be profitable to be able to deliver another masterpies, I dont understand why to bother Linux. I see only one benefit, allow few nerds scream "Look, I am playing on Linux, and compiling nightly at once. Awesome!"

Last edited by gGeo; 15/08/15 08:50 PM.
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
@Raze, and you know that why ? That is guesswork like my post...

@gGeo, because they made a "promise" in there kickstarter campain and tempt people to backe with this "promise".
And your view of things tell me just that you have no idea what it means to use linux for desktop pc's and that you still live in the 1980.

Support
Support

I know that because I actually read the first post in this topic. It would have been idiotic to have done all that work to get the Linux engine ported, and then simply abandon the whole thing without updating to a current code base. If there were no EE there would only be one code base to update to.

Plans are not promises, and Kickstarter does not exempt games from the normal development processes, which can, and very often does, include delays, changes and dropped features.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard