#564426 17/03/15 10:10 PM
B
Burgee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
Ok, I'm struggling.

Sniper - I used your suggestion from my WIP thread, and on my first try a sound volume trigger worked perfectly.

I went to add another trigger to the same map for a different location, and then both triggers immediately didn't work anymore.

I tried renaming them, toggling global on and off, changing the playlist - nothing worked.

I'm really struggling here. Any ideas?

Burgee #564427 17/03/15 10:19 PM
B
Burgee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
Turns out if I reload the level, one trigger works. If the player leaves the trigger area though, the music continues playing. Am I using them wrong? Can you have multiple sound volume triggers per map and use them like atmosphere triggers?

Burgee #564428 17/03/15 10:55 PM
B
Burgee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
Turns out they work fine in game, but not in the editor test mode.

Problem solved because no problem ever existed.

Sorry!

Burgee #564432 18/03/15 01:40 AM
old hand
old hand
In my experience anything sound related breaks in editor mode if you start the game and then pause it and start it again. This goes for ambient sounds and such as well. Tracks will play all the way through if you leave a trigger but the playlist will stop and not switch to the next song.

Another thing you can do with sound is add ambient effects to items and not just triggers.

Have you run into any playlists that simply don't work at all? I haven't tested them in game much at all but in the editor this is the case.

Last edited by SniperHF; 18/03/15 01:42 AM.
Burgee #564434 18/03/15 02:38 AM
B
Burgee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
I haven't yet, but I haven't tried anything without the suffix "New" in it's name.

I'll post findings as I go. Music is my project for the next few days. I'm putting off writing the last 5 way conversation because those give me headaches - I thought music would be easy.

lol.

Burgee #564631 23/03/15 02:19 PM
Someone link me to the wip thread?

Burgee #564635 23/03/15 04:06 PM
B
Burgee Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
Hey Jecklyn, I know you were struggling with music as well.

I did get it working with Sniper's help - you basically use Sound Volume Triggers just like Atmosphere triggers. Inside the trigger is a field for Music, and in that field you add a "Playlist" file for music from the resource manager (just like you do with roofs, for instance).

It won't work in the editor really, but they all work in game. (assuming you picked a working playlist)

The WIP thread is my Erenshor thread, should be on the front page.

Last edited by Burgee; 23/03/15 04:08 PM.
Burgee #568687 06/09/15 08:36 PM
Okay I'm trying to implement music one last time before uploading to Steam. I've partially forgotten how to use the editor so I'm having trouble inserting a playlist into the MusicResource field of the SoundVolume Trigger. When I open the Resource Manager and click a sound file, the sidebar switches from the sound trigger sidebar to the music track sidebar. How do I stop that from happening? I just want the music file to enter the empty MusicResource box in the sound trigger sidebar.

1. Does the SoundVolume Trigger need to be Global?
2. Should the playlist be under AmbientResource or MusicResource?
3. Do I need to create a polygon area or will the music automatically trigger without one?
4. Does the music stay inside the polygon area? Or does it play until encountering a new SoundVolume Trigger polygon?
5. Is there a way to preview music files?

Burgee #568710 07/09/15 03:25 AM
old hand
old hand
There's a little red pin on the resource manager. That stops it (mostly, still kinda buggy).

1. DO NOT MAKE IT GLOBAL.

2. Playlist is music resource, Ambient is a seprate entry for ambient sounds like chirping birds and such. Those are listed as AMB_VOL IIRC.

3. Yeah, you'll need the polygon (or switch to a box for a quick and dirty approach).

4. I haven't tested this fully, by it seems to keep playing the current track even if you leave the poly. If you are outside the poly, it will stop once the track is finished. If you are inside the poly the next track of that playlist will play.

5. No.

Also don't forget that for playlists, only the ones with the "new" label seem to work.

Burgee #568760 07/09/15 11:16 PM
Yes! It worked laugh Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Burgee #568807 08/09/15 11:51 PM
Any idea how to add music to the intro screen (before entering the actual game)? Would I put the music triggers around the camera?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JecklynHyde
Any idea how to add music to the intro screen (before entering the actual game)? Would I put the music triggers around the camera?

I think you are correct.

Burgee #568812 09/09/15 07:00 AM
Nope, didn't work for the start menu. Works for Character Generation though. Hmm..

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JecklynHyde
Nope, didn't work for the start menu. Works for Character Generation though. Hmm..

Seems to be working for me on the menu. Did you adjust the trigger height in relation to the camera placement?

Burgee #568833 09/09/15 07:19 PM
Okay, that worked too. I had to adjust both the trigger placement and the pole heights.

Something else weird is happening as well. Yesterday I tested all the soundtracks and picked out the ones I liked for each area. But now the playlists for Credits_new and Combat_new aren't working... even though they were working yesterday. Any ideas? All the other soundtracks work fine.

Burgee #568834 09/09/15 07:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Are you testing them in the editor or in-game?

Never tried those two playlists myself. I can go check real quick.

Burgee #568836 09/09/15 07:51 PM
old hand
old hand
Those two playlists are not working for me. Maybe you were hearing another playlist continuing?

Burgee #568838 09/09/15 08:21 PM
I tested the playlists in-game. Thing is, I had to go into the Divinity Editor and change each song manually, then open the Divinity Original Sin game and listen to one song play during character creation and a second song play during the game's start point. So I suppose it is possible that the Char Gen playlist continued into the start of the game. But I thought I heard the song switch...

Well, damn. That means what I heard was probably Tavern_new and for some reason Larian has 3 very different music tracks cycling in that one playlist... one sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks which I really don't want in my game.

Burgee #568839 09/09/15 08:24 PM
old hand
old hand
I think there are far more than 3 songs per playlist. There's like 9 hours of music in D:OS, it's pretty crazy.

Yeah testing music blows, it's just not implemented well for this purpose. Larian just knew what went in each song bank so it probably wasn't a consideration to make it more friendly in-editor.

Link Copied to Clipboard