Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze

In the comments of the latest blog post, it was mentioned that there is an OpenGL build for Windows, but there were problems with it. Assuming it is still being worked on, or there is enough time available to be able to continue to work on it, if those problems are solved (don't know if the issues are more with the game engine, or with OpenGL in Windows), that could maybe possibly help with the DirectX 11 requirement (don't know what version OpenGL support would be required).

Always wondered why games that support Linux/OSX obviously have working OpenGL support yet you can't use it on Windows. Probably just not worth the effort making it bulletproof when everyone has DX anyway.

In the late 90's it was more common to have multiple API support.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Luckmann

Remember when Bioware said that Dragon Age: Origins' franchise would be kept as a PC exclusive, and the markets of Mass Effect and Dragon Age essentially being different beasts entirely, appealing to different people, and that one would focus on cinematicism and the other a more hardcore RPG experience?

I find it hard to believe that Vincke has somehow come up with a way to bypass the inherent limitations of the console format and controllers. I have no doubt in my mind that he is serious in not wanting to dumb things down, but the fact of the matter is that we've heard this line countless of times, and it's never been true at the end of the day.

Multi-platform always compromises gameplay, choices and controls. No exceptions. It's naive bordering on the absurd to think that D:OS:EE would be an exception just because you're fed a quotable marketing line. They've already shown that they give zero fucks about previous customers and have no qualms with giving the big middle-finger in what was supposed to be an extensive patch, not a new game.

I'd recommend you save your criticisms for a time when you can justify them...;) At this moment they are completely unjustifiable: Bioware/EA is not Larian--it can't get much simpler than that...;) Right now all you are doing is speculating about software that hasn't been released.

I love D:OS, I've recently started my *fourth* playthrough, but will admit it's finally getting a bit long in the tooth...;) But that's OK, most games I won't replay at all or maybe just once, years later, etc. Getting this EE version is an unexpected treat...!

Injecting a console controller into the game could as easily mean that while the game is playable with a controller, it's still better to play it through with the keyboard & mouse. Adding controller compatibility doesn't automatically mean the controller becomes the preferred method of navigating through the game. I can imagine a rather clumsy controller interface because to me all console controllers are clumsy & primitive...;) To that end, the current consoles, PS4 & xBone *are* themselves PCs now, in every sense of the word--admittedly they are scrawny PCs but that's what they are. It's a different breed from the 360/PS3 days--so I don't see Swen as having to compromise anything to include them.

I think you are just shooting yourself in the foot by lambasting the product before you've even looked at it. I understand your criticism generally & it is true that some games are first built for consoles and then later ported to the PC, along with their correspondingly clunky interfaces, but D:OS is the opposite of that scenario, isn't it?

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt
One can hope, I suppose... Would hate to have to sell a kidney to buy a new PC I only have so many laugh

You must not have looked at what it takes to build your own box these days...;) Sans monitor, you can build a very powerful desktop for $700-$800 (hopefully, your kidney would bring a lot more than that), and that's with handpicked, retail-grade AAA hardware components with nice, long factory warranties and terrific driver support. That's not a whole lot more than either a PS4 or xBone will cost you, but your box will run circles around either of those (and be able to perform far more tasks, too)...;)

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SniperHF
Originally Posted by Raze

In the comments of the latest blog post, it was mentioned that there is an OpenGL build for Windows, but there were problems with it. Assuming it is still being worked on, or there is enough time available to be able to continue to work on it, if those problems are solved (don't know if the issues are more with the game engine, or with OpenGL in Windows), that could maybe possibly help with the DirectX 11 requirement (don't know what version OpenGL support would be required).

Always wondered why games that support Linux/OSX obviously have working OpenGL support yet you can't use it on Windows. Probably just not worth the effort making it bulletproof when everyone has DX anyway.

In the late 90's it was more common to have multiple API support.

OpenGL support under Windows is very good, currently, but OpenGL as an API doesn't have a company behind it that creates the tools that game developers need and prefer, as 99% of game developers today don't code in assembly any more...;) Microsoft provides excellent developer tools and resources, which has caused D3d to flourish. Unlike every D3d release since 9.0c, D3d12 will be a watershed moving forward--but it will be a couple of years before games begin to require D3d12--but they will...Some independent people are going to attempt to bring similar changes to the OpenGL API and I hope they do, but it will be nowhere near as organized or rapid as Microsoft developer support for D3d12 will be...

K
stranger
stranger
K

I know it's asking a lot but a version in Portuguese would be divine!

Support
Support

The group DivinityPT did a Portuguese translation for D:OS (Facebook). I don't know what state it is in, though, or if an official release may be possible.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Was surprised when I heard this. Grats and thank you Larian! Hope to buy more great rpgs from you.

Will the 'beat and burglar' dlc be included in the EE or should i better play these Chars right now?

Thanks, Alex

veteran
veteran
Of course they're included. Why would they be removed?

A
A
Lalalalarian.
Love you guys. Best collectors edition of a game that I have ever bought.

M
stranger
stranger
M
cool

A
stranger
stranger
A
Pleeeeeease add an import character feature for co-op play!
I dont care about transfering from vanilla to EE.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ashurais001; 29/07/15 10:30 PM.
Support
Support

The game keeps track of the relationship between the main characters, as well as between both and the companions / henchmen and NPCs. The results of dual dialogues can effect character traits, and help determine character progression.

It isn't possible to transfer characters between saves. In an aRPG with respawning opponents and simplistic quests that don't influence the character, or vise versa, you can move a character between different saves; that isn't the case with D:OS.

K
stranger
stranger
K
After reading this, what else can I say?

Proud to be Belgian. Larian is pretty much shaping up to become the CDProjekt Red of Belgium

C
stranger
stranger
C
Can't wait to play this on PS4!!

Cas

Last edited by Castielle; 17/08/15 01:49 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Hey all,

first of all big thanks to Larian, I am really looking forward to the EE version of the game.

After reading through this Topic a little bit I think there are some big misunderstandings going around. Though I too think, that Luckyman is not really nice he has a point. Ofc there will not disapear anything from the base game, but there maybe be less improvments due to a console port, simply because if I were a console player I would want the same amount of content and quality as everyone else who plays the game. Understandable and even though this issuse may be avoided with the Ui by having 2 versions, you cannot do that for gameplay or graphics and since consoles are simply not able to handle what a Pc could handle, there is a possibility that stuff that could have been done on Pc only wont make it into the game, because Larian has to be equall to both Pc and console. You should never think that any companie is immune to that since even CDPR had to dumb down The Witcher 3, not really a matter in my opinion but even a customer friendly group like them has to be somewhat equal.

On the other side I cant understand someone who cant even afford a 30-60€ Graphiccard complaining about Pc games. You most definitly have other issuses that you should adress first.

At the end of the day Im just happy to see that D:OS is still worked on and I really hope the EE will surpass the Original in so many ways.
Thanks again Larian.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Can a kickstarter backer who chose steam for D:OS switch to GOG for the EE? I don't want to be trouble as I'm sure you guys have plenty of more important things to do. Now that GOG has the autoupdates thanks to Galaxy, I don't need steam anymore. I only chose steam at the time for the auto patches. Either way, Larian has a customer for life here. You guys are the best! I can't wait till October or until the new kickstarter!

Lynchden
Support
Support

Unfortunately, no. The EE is being automatically added to Steam and GOG libraries, depending on where they have D:OS. Trying to manage exceptions to that wouldn't be very feasible.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I figured it would be a nightmare to sort out. Thanks for the reply!

Lynchden
Really hoping this will release before the end of the D:OS 2 Kickstarter laugh

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard