Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Divine Divinity established a world with six (well eight were mentioned) sentient races, and you could meet people of all those races (even though three of the races were basically all hostile).

In Divinity 2, it was all humans (but they added in a seventh race of all-hostiles in the form of Goblins). In Original Sin, orcs make a return as an all-hostile race, but there is one elf in the entire game, and it's really a bald, psychotic human (no elf ears). No dwarves. No lizards.

Show us other cultures, in a meaningful way not just the bits you can glean from after youæ± e picking through the corpses of the goblins who attacked you on sight for not being a goblin. I am tired of traipsing through generic medieval cities and towns full of only humans. I want to see a dwarf city again, and elven villages, and even towns of orcs, lizards, and imps where I can walk around without being attacked on sight for being human. Bring the fantasy back to fantasy games. If that means completely cutting out any human towns to make room, I think I would be okay with that.

http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...uman-towns-and-communities-friendly-ones

Last edited by Stabbey; 18/08/15 12:27 AM. Reason: added link to user voice
enthusiast
enthusiast
+++ :3

Also, judging from the announcement art. It appears like there will be more races. It looks like a lizard man, and a few elves are present. So I assume this means that there are going to be more than one race that we can interact with (aside from hostile races).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Show us other cultures, in a meaningful way not just the bits you can glean from after youæ± e picking through the corpses of the goblins who attacked you on sight for not being a goblin.

I was able to talk down the goblins, and even ended up becoming their religious leader, of sorts.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Jito463
I was able to talk down the goblins, and even ended up becoming their religious leader, of sorts.

Yeah I know about that.

To get to that point, to avoid having to massacre them (for the crime of "existing while human"), how many checks do you need to pass? There's the check at the village gate, then you need to get the answers to all three situations right and your partner has to agree each time.

stranger
stranger
I'm always encouraging the addition of Dwarves in fantasy games as playable races, they're too often just footnotes in the lore or NPC's while Elves overshadow every other race. I'm fine with Elves in the game though since i get to kill'em (i hope) but i sure as hell wont have one in my party (except to kill)

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Dwarfurious
I'm always encouraging the addition of Dwarves in fantasy games as playable races, they're too often just footnotes in the lore or NPC's while Elves overshadow every other race. I'm fine with Elves in the game though since i get to kill'em (i hope) but i sure as hell wont have one in my party (except to kill)

Yes ! Thumbs up for Dwarves.
Dwarf master race.

addict
addict
well I like humans !!!
but I agree that it would be nice to discover other races (and in D:OS there was a lot of lore about orcs too !!) Trolls perhaps? laugh

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
stranger
stranger
Yes the non-pretty/evil races are always the fodder never the fed! Of Orcs and Men at least gave orcs/goblins a bit of limelight. But since playing as such a thing would drastically alter so much (at least, it wouldnt be as fun if it didnt) maybe it would make a nice DLC to play as an Orc

old hand
old hand
Sounds like you can play as a lizard, which are even rare than orcs as player characters and more often antagonists. Pretty happy with their focus on how important races are going to be. Wonder if they'll have stat changes or racial abilities, too.

stranger
stranger
Lizardmen are sort of a classic, but furries have taken a real popular swing this last decade. I'm hoping for Racial abilities, since dwarves are the coolest race they'll get the coolest abilities! Rune magic please! Berserking? The best crafters for sure! I'm going to be playing #1 as an armored geomancer, just because its Dwarfy.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I hope imps will be playable, and maybe even goblins with undead.

stranger
stranger
I doubt they could flesh out so many monsters ... But maybe since they already have competitive mode, some people could control monsters at specific points in the game to fight the players?

Your wish was granted Stabbey wink

This defiantly brings back memories from the original game and they have quite put allot of effort on the prototype with the dialogue of the races AND there is still more to come!

old hand
old hand
One of the review sites said something like there will be more than just the Imperial Dwarves, Wood Elves, Humans, and Lizardmen in the final game. So not sure if that means like Dark elves and wood elves and whatever other kinds of dwarves there are, or if there will be way different races like orcs and goblins. Goblins and imps as playable races are probably pretty unlikely, though maybe orcs could work. How about if you could play as one of those mountain men from D:OS? Still human, but they seemed somewhat different. Or maybe like a half-giant would be cool. What if there was some kind of (half) demon that could disguise itself as other races (maybe using source points)? Though it would have to have some kind of significant downside to counter such versatility.

Seems like Swen just wants to go all out with this game laugh

Yeah I read an article that it says there will be more races STILL to come and I am sure they have referred from Swen when they showed the prototype to them. That could be one of the stretch goals wink

Your idea about the demon, seems awesome reminds me from Witcher 3 about the Doppler. Yes Swen is making very huge changes and the art and graphics seems more top notch than the previous game. This will be one hell of a game especially when it might reach over a million tomorrow or so laugh

I just wish they add PayPal funds, so I can back it for $30 laugh

stranger
stranger
Crossing my fingers that there WONT be Wood/Dark elves because even regular elves are too many. 185% of Fantasy games have Elves in them as it is because theres a dozen shades that all suck. Orcs need it more, and they'd be more interesting. Cucumbers would be more interesting. I'm killing every god damn elf i find in the game.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard