Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#567839 21/08/15 01:47 PM
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I can speak for just about every Linux user who backed D:OS two years ago when I say that we are disappointed in how this was handled. We may understand the delays, but this whole things seems to have been handled poorly. With D:OS 2 getting a Kickstarter campaign before we get the last one fullfilled, I'm more than a little put off.

Larian has said that they will be coming out with D:OS EE for Linux very soon. Awesome! Love it, but it still comes after the new Kickstarter. I'm sorry, but that just insulting. Making one set of promises is something I thought Larian was above.

I'm not asking for the game to be rushed. I've said it before, I'll say it again -- getting it done right is better than fast. Apparently Larian thinks that late August is the ideal time for this crowd funding campaign. Okay. I'll take that on faith. However, that's not to say that I'm content with all of this together.

It would be a really great gesture if we could get something more than a few apologetic words and promises. As a Linux gamer, I want to throw money at every decent game coming to Linux. I really want to throw money at D:OS 2. But with nothing to show for the previous time I backed a Larian game, I'm not particularly inclined to do so this time around.

So, please, could we at least get a beta or a nightly, or something?

Last edited by nstgc; 21/08/15 11:26 PM.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
enthusiast
enthusiast
I see no reason why they "couldn't" do that.

Support
Support

I'm 'fond' of pointing out that calling something a promise doesn't somehow prevent unforeseen circumstances or exempt it from the context in which the statement was made.

nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Raze

I'm 'fond' of pointing out that calling something a promise doesn't somehow prevent unforeseen circumstances or exempt it from the context in which the statement was made.

That is far from how it comes across.

In anycase, there are enough threads touching on backer's angst, I'd rather this not become another. I merely added that edit preemptively, not to cause strife.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Love this idea

I think the same, would like to support D:OS 2 but not under this circumstances.

As D:OS comes to Kickstarter, i backed it, like a lot other games, BECAUSE it promises Linux support, that was and is the only reason why i support games on Kickstarter, not to safe 5 dollar/euro
And i think a lot Linux gamer handle the same way

And with a beta, there have the chance to test there linux builds... without tests with a lot of people the port could be extremely worse (like other gameports from other companys in the past) not to mention for the first linux port !

addict
addict
I don't use Linux myself, but I'm certainly behind the idea of you guys getting a beta version to test. Not sure if Larian has the resources available to prepare a beta build for public release, though.

nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
Surely they have something they are testing internally. I didn't only say "beta" in my post, I also said a "nightly or something".

E
stranger
stranger
E
Hi,

this is exactly my feeling. I backed D:OS too, mainly because the announced Linux support. I wanted to play this with my girlfriend, who is using Windows. Now my girlfriend has completed the game in single player and I have not played a minute of the finished game yet.
Primarily, I am disappointed with the communication. For the new campaign, I determined that I won't be backing D:OS2 unless there is at least a status update on the Linux version. Currently, it looks as if I won't get my collectors edition this time.

This makes me sad and I expected more.

Link Copied to Clipboard