Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It's early, but the biggest new feature mentioned in D:OS is that your party members/companions can have contradictory objectives to your own.

That's a cool idea, but does it only work in co-op? Do the companions available in single-player also have the secret-objectives thing?

Can you control other companions out of combat? If so, would you be able to see the so-called secret objectives?

When starting a single-player game, do you get companions from the start? Are they the same companions each time, or are they somewhat randomized (either completely, or a random selection of possible companions is picked)?

Basically, what I'm asking is how do all these party changes work in single-player?

enthusiast
enthusiast
The uhh, 'media' has some insight on that. Long news article from Bubbles.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10045

It's worth a read, though half of it is mainly about the new writing in the game (from the writers)

old hand
old hand
Yeah, that article reveals some stark changes not mentioned in the KS.

"There have also been changes to the combat gameplay, some already implemented, others planned for the future. The biggest change has been to drastically reduce the total amount of AP that a player gets per turn and to remove the AP bonus from the Speed attribute, while also reducing the AP cost of skills and spells. Currently, characters start with only 4 action points, but this is not a final decision. The reasoning for this change is that the previous system was too complicated. Larian had intended for players to use their APs strategically, saving some in one round to be able to spend more in the next. However, according to Swen this system é›»idn't work that well when [there were] 10 or 15 action points people weren't calculating. Since [Larian] made that change [to 4 action points], people are really starting to think about what chains and combinations they are going to be making. Those kinds of big numbers can be very annoying when you're trying to have fun, so this change is very welcome."

Quite the change to drastically reduce AP. Probably will work fine, though I hope it doesn't take away some nuance from combat. Cover sounds awesome, too.

A lot of that interview (esp with the writers) is hilarious. Especially when they talk about romances. (Romances are in, apparently!)

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
You can get a glimpse of this in the PC Gamer coverage 55 minutes video with Swen.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-your-divinity-original-sin-2-character-choices-affect-everything-you-do/

old hand
old hand
That article scares me. It sounds like Larian is about to go Bioware in the writing department.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Windemere
That article scares me. It sounds like Larian is about to go Bioware in the writing department.

Yeah....

Though there could be a degree of projection coming from more mainstream outlets. At any rate I managed to enjoy D:OS while barely paying attention to the writing post-Cyseal so I'm sure the core gameplay will manage to carry the game. If the writing is better then I think it will turn out that's great.

stranger
stranger
I'm very excited for this, might make for great YouTube viewing for the many 4-player channels.

veteran
veteran
Well, less AP isn't necessarilly bad... even if it was mostly "Glass Cannon" being at fault rather than SPEED.

And god, no BioWarian writing please. One BioWare is enough. If you really want to atleast wait till EA properly executed the company, as we all know will happen someday.

Stabbey I found some of my questioned answered on the AngryJoe Preview.

He did ask great questions especially one you mentioned that was on my mind as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-ws3_jhx0

It's at 29:19

You can play all of the character origins and do their quests. They are still adding more and you'll defiantly gonna get more companions with different origins, I also think that's one of the other stretch goals as races is the other one smile

I am not sure if the companions will be randomized around the world with different origins, I am also not sure if you take a companion origin and that companion in game will be different or removed. Still some unanswered questions :P

Though I love the idea they actually know what's "replayable" actually means! - You'll defiantly can play different roles in every new game.

The only issue I can see when playing SOLO is how can you murder your own party (assassination quest was explained in the video)... it seems you have to role-play each of the characters and decide what you want to do lol

It seems you cannot recruit a companion who have the same origin as you. Though not sure if it answers my other question like if you chose a origin you will start in a different location with the companion (same origin) or somewhere else?

Information I found is on this paragraph:

"When you're in character creation, you'll be able to select many characters, and actually all of these characters could be your main player character. They all have their own origin story. Even so, you will be able to freely chose your PC's origin, making him the double crossing thief, the heir, or somebody else entirely, based on all the origins coded into the game. You can even play somebody with no origin at all. You just won't be able to recruit a companion with the same origin as your main PC.

link: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10045

This is very interesting indeed, I can see why no RPG ever have done this and Larian just nailed it.

You also start with one character in the start of the game and others companions with their own origin can be recruited and just control them like you do on Co-op.

veteran
veteran
So, if you choose "no origin" you can get them all?

Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
So, if you choose "no origin" you can get them all?

I'm guessing you'll have no backside story and will have no clash with other origins. Meaning you may only have the main quest and side quests as more of a natural game so yeah basically anything you want to do OR your from the "unknown" (could not remember who you are) and NPC's or other origins may treat you differently?

Hope we can get allot more information soon smile

Support
Support

If you choose not to have an origin, then there would be no restrictions on who you could recruit, but you'd still only get to pick 3. Essentially, you just wouldn't get the unique reactions and dialogue options that are associated with the origins.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard