Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi smile

What if Larian collects more than 1.5Million $ ?

Will we get an additional Stretch-goal?

D:OS2 founding looks very, very good!
Its growing every minute.

We are reaching 1.2Million $ in the next 1 to 2 days and there are still 27 Days to go wink

We are collecting your ideas for Divinity: Original Sin 2.
http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/314766-divinity-original-sin-2-game-ideas

Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2?ref=nav_search

Last edited by john carmack; 02/09/15 08:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I assume that there will be additional stretch goals.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
More stretch goals for sure smile

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Or free expansion? Larian is currently one of the best studio that delivers extra content, good content nevertheless, for lesser than nothing extra. And for that, I hope my credit card comes sooner so that I can back them up!

May WE explore like Adventurers, roam like Raiders, live like Kings and Queens
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
i hope for the long-awaited "Day & Night Cycle"
That would be great!
That would make the game incredible laugh wink

Support
Support

That's the stretch goal for $15M. biggrin

Seriously, though, it isn't happening for this game. Adding another extra layer of complexity on top of what needs to be done for the planned dialogue features and narative just isn't practical.

addict
addict
probably other stretch goals yeah

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
C
stranger
stranger
C
I always wonder if the developers can keep up with all these stretch goals while maintaining quality in these kinds of projects, but I have faith in Larian. On the other hand I feel disappointed when some stretch goals aren't reached and I start thinking the game won't be the best it could lol

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
What is the difficulty to implement Day & Night Cycle?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by john carmack
What is the difficulty to implement Day & Night Cycle?

Swen does not want to simply implement an artistic day/night cycle. he wants it to be "meaningful", ie almost everything is different at night

think of it as the same game at night, where "at night" means 2/3 or more of the game is different (npcs, graphics, quests, dialogs etc.)
and of course day time and night time need to be "connected". so, if one quest has 3 different ways to be solved at day and 3 ways at night, that means that there are up to 9 different ways that have to be connected in a way that the quest works out, but the npc are at different locations, the graphics are different, dialogs are different etc. but everything needs to make sense between day and night

and thats just the complexity i can come up with in 2 minutes while writing this.

basically it is making almost two different games (day/night) that are logically connected. everything done at day/night has some effect on "the other game" (ie time) and vice versa

Last edited by 4verse; 03/09/15 06:27 AM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
addict
addict
my guess: more skill trees

Support
Support

Also, with a day/night cycle there would need to be extra locations so every NPC had a bed at night, extra work filling in those locations with decoration, loot, quests and things to find while exploring, the actual NPC scripting to react to the day/night schedule, much more dialogue so NPCs can adjust their speech according to the situations, extra complexity with the reputation system so waking someone up to solve a minor quest or buy one potion is different than those actions in the daytime, extra opponents and quests that take advantage of the cycle, enemy scripting to change encounters between night and day, extra balancing work for all the differences added due to the cycle, additions or changes to the skill system based on the time of day, extra QA time testing the many different quest paths and combat encounters, etc.

addict
addict
but, lets be honest ... well worth the effort ;-)

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Firaxis has also said for XCOM EU/EW that random maps would not work - they tried to implement it but it was too complicated.
Now in XCOM2 there will be random maps - Firaxis found a way wink

Where there is a will there is a way!!!

Hope Larian will find a solution for "Day/Night" in D:OS2 AddOn or in D:OS3 wink

........we will reach 1.2Million$ in the next 12-24 hours smile

backers: 25,858
pledged of $500,000 goal: $1,172,627
days to go: 27

addict
addict
sure that would be an amazing feature but regarding the amount of work, I am not sure that they're gonna implement it sadly...

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
E
stranger
stranger
E
As others have said, expect more stretch goals.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

Also, with a day/night cycle there would need to be extra locations so every NPC had a bed at night, extra work filling in those locations with decoration, loot, quests and things to find while exploring, the actual NPC scripting to react to the day/night schedule, much more dialogue so NPCs can adjust their speech according to the situations, extra complexity with the reputation system so waking someone up to solve a minor quest or buy one potion is different than those actions in the daytime, extra opponents and quests that take advantage of the cycle, enemy scripting to change encounters between night and day, extra balancing work for all the differences added due to the cycle, additions or changes to the skill system based on the time of day, extra QA time testing the many different quest paths and combat encounters, etc.

Not to mention, that such changes could impact quest or even major storyline... or even a personality-change(if the game implements that) and so on... :p

Like for example: assassination or infiltration by Black Ring or some other party?

Or even: spells which can change day/night cycle, for certain effects when combined with other spells...

Man, I can see a massive headache coming on. :p

addict
addict
IMO Larian should use every cent above 1.5m to implement more skills trees of those depicted, polish the game and the editor and maybe finish it quicker instead of adding more features.

Last edited by 4verse; 05/09/15 08:30 PM.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
@ 4verse

more skill-trees will be available with the next stretch-goal wink

28,015 backers

$1,273,025 pledged of $500,000 goal

23 days to go

Kickstarter StretchGoals:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2?ref=nav_search

addict
addict
Originally Posted by 4verse
IMO Larian should use every cent above 1.5m to implement more skills trees of those depicted, polish the game and the editor and maybe finish it quicker instead of adding more features.

I concur wholeheartedly. No point in making stretch goals, just for the sake of making stretch goals.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard