Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dr Koin
I was more thinking of something along the lines of a bonus to stealth, or an increased malus to be hit the further away you are from the attacker, for Chameleon.
I don't really fancy a skill redundant of the Stealth global ability, but limited both in time and actions. It would feel like the Shadowmelt of the Night Elves in WoW.

And:
Scaly Skin(passive)
- The scales covering your body act as a natural defense, providing you with a bonus to physical resistance. However, being chilled will impair your movements and slow your reflexes, making you easier to hit.

Whip tail(active/overwatch)
- So they thought they could sneak up behind you ? Whenever a foe tries to attack you from behind, knockdown and knockback up to 2 foes standing behind you.

I also like this one, submitted earlier by Cattletech:
Elitism - if your stat is highest in the party, it gets boosted by another +1.
but it MAY provide a huge bonus, especially late game.

Very good points, those are better ideas than what I posted. Well, Elitism sounds really tricky and it could be a pain, because you'd have to constantly poll and check to see "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" And that kind of thing eats up CPU cycles and could cause a performance drop.

I do agree that it should be general and fun passive skills by not going over the top. I also like Dr.Koin points as well as it's very general for racial skills.

I am not sure if this is mentioned but here is one:

Lizard Claws (Passive)

When fighting unarmed with fists it also cause the opponent to bleed for 2 turns.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Very good points, those are better ideas than what I posted. Well, Elitism sounds really tricky and it could be a pain, because you'd have to constantly poll and check to see "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" "Do I have the highest stat?" And that kind of thing eats up CPU cycles and could cause a performance drop.

Ha ha, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's just four entities you have to poll, and nobody said it has to be done on every frame or however their event system works.

Also in general I think traits for DOS2 should factor in the competitive play style. Try to think along that line - things that could encourage you to sabotage or keep an eye on what other characters are doing and adjust yourself accordingly, keeping you on edge to be more competitive.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Or just have certain abilities enabled/disabled for competitive style? At the end of the day it's still a RPG. Like Guild Wars 2, it tries so hard to balance between but at the same time there are many things that needs to be offered to players to make the game more exciting for single player, indirectly, it's still not balanced.

May WE explore like Adventurers, roam like Raiders, live like Kings and Queens
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Cattletech
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Ha ha, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's just four entities you have to poll, and nobody said it has to be done on every frame or however their event system works.

Also in general I think traits for DOS2 should factor in the competitive play style. Try to think along that line - things that could encourage you to sabotage or keep an eye on what other characters are doing and adjust yourself accordingly, keeping you on edge to be more competitive.

Yeah, it could be polled only when someone in the team gains a permanent stat point, by way of leveling or with the help of books. And as such be compared to base stats rather than modified stat ( gear, temp buff.. ). wink

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
A
A
Since when are the lizards specially related to dragons? They seem to well established in the divinity world since ages already and less related to dragons than lets say human dragon knights.

Did I miss something about them?

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Since when are the lizards specially related to dragons?

Well, as far as I understood the Lizards only think that they are related to dragons.

journeyman
journeyman
An interesting twist might be that it really isn't connected, just that the source power for your particular character allows these transformations, and yet precisely that act would have political / cultural ramifications which might not at all be positive (e.g. cementing the Lizards' desire to break away from the other civilizations, starting feuds based on feelings of superiority, etc.).

B
B
Originally Posted by TyhmaLapsi
I really like the idea of the racial traits being quite substancial. Of course there need to be both advantages and drawbacks to balance things out. Way too often in RPGs the racial traits end up as little more than gimmicks and it would be a nice change to see then really impact the gameplay of different characters throughout the game.

This thankyou !

Racial skills, in your average RPG, are so subtle that basically stop to have an impact on the game after a couple of levels. I'm really glad that Larians are prone to dare in this area.

Last edited by Baudolino05; 05/09/15 06:16 PM.
addict
addict
Hmm, just a quick suggestion for a Lizard attack:

- sand attack
burrow and cause a whirlwind of sand, that blinds, cuts and suffocates the victim

- toxic breath
Even though your race has grown accustomed to using showers and bath tubs, they sometimes still have the habit of cleaning themselves with their tongue. Use this habit to produce a stench which can knock out the victim for __ secs!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard