Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 6 41 42
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ravensRblack
Originally Posted by Jinmaruuu
Heya Kai ^^ This was a great idea, by the way!

laugh Thanks. The comment section of any KS campaign tend to get quiet after it ends. This way we can find each other easily and continue the epic random spam.

Reporting you for random spam of epic proportions. Say goodbye to your account. ( AKA real player threats in WoW )

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Dr Koin
[quote=ravensRblack]Reporting you for random spam of epic proportions. Say goodbye to your account. ( AKA real player threats in WoW )

You'll never get me old man! Never! This forum needs new blood.

Steam ID: RvnBlk
GOG ID: GRANKYZ
----------------------------
Devine Order of Devinity
Discord Divinity Original Sin Lobby
J
stranger
stranger
J
Recko(i)n indeed. xD

I think the person GM'ing would have to have some setup in mind before starting the campaign, so they would have to be passingly familiar with the assets they'd want to use. And probably at least halfway decent with the modding editor :o

Last edited by Jinmaruuu; 30/09/15 11:07 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Grielog Viespeuk
To get right into it: What do you guys think of the games master mode? I've never played pen and paper(some friends do or did) but won't it be hard to actually emulate the same kind of experience on computer? You can make your own dungeon, throw in some enemies, traps or puzzles but what about implementing stories or quests? It feels like it would be kind of hard to do this from a narrative perspective. You don't have the freedom of creating your own story because you will probably be working with templates and the narrative you create has to work within that context, or am I being to negative here. I'm asking how do you people think it will work.

Having done several D&D campaigns and (failed attempts to) set up a few, myself, this does look quite promising. Narrative can easily be done over voice such as Steam, Skype, TeamSpeak or Discord (I HIGHLY recommend Discord), which can save the GM plenty of time instead of having to type out scripts and interaction lines. It'll probably have easy drop-in NPCs and whatnot to it. The GM will no doubt have access to everyone's character sheet and it would be a lot more organized than sites like Roll20. The Engine will be the game's "Core Rulebook" that the GM will have access to tweak certain things if necessary. I'm actually considering bringing over my campaign ideas to it instead of Roll20.

Edit: As for quests, I assume the GM would also have access to bestowing items/XP to the party.

Elven engineer at your service!
Come join the Discord server for chat and other stuff!
Steam: MechSoldier
G
stranger
stranger
G
[quote=Dr Koin][quote=Grielog Viespeuk][quote=ravensRblack][quote=Ayath The Loafer]Hi there everybody.

Looking forward to spending the next year waiting with you guys. :wave:

My very first Kickstarter Backing.

I've only a few weeks ago decided to invest again in a new cRPG after having been away from gaming for a number of years.

My last RPG was Neverwinter Nights where I spent some time programming helpful scenarios. At least I thought they were helpful - and I know of at least seven - err... five people who liked it.

[/quote]

We did hit the dedicated mod support. Maybe you can make a bigger, better, more helpful scenario this time? :D

It can bump your fan count. [/quote]

To get right into it: What do you guys think of the games master mode? I've never played pen and paper(some friends do or did) but won't it be hard to actually emulate the same kind of experience on computer? You can make your own dungeon, throw in some enemies, traps or puzzles but what about implementing stories or quests? It feels like it would be kind of hard to do this from a narrative perspective. You don't have the freedom of creating your own story because you will probably be working with templates and the narrative you create has to work within that context, or am I being to negative here. I'm asking how do you people think it will work.[/quote]

I think it will be hard to pull off and make properly, but probably not as hard as expected.
Way I see it it will have to work side by side with the editor, involving, just like a true P&P RPG, a lot of preparations from the game master.
Of course there's still room for annoucements, but I recko(i)n the simplest way to go would be modular : create assets in the editor, from monsters to gear to whole rooms or even dialogues, prepare a "strong" base content, and if your players are adventurous, use your modules on the fly for their benefit.
True complex dialogues and deep interactions are probably not going to be doable while still retaining a certain level of freedom and most of all, fluidity for the players. However, you could still play it "the old way", which is simply engaging real dialogues with the players whenever you want an interaction with a NPC to sound real.

Obviously I don't expect the GM mode to be able to deliver a full "Roleplaying" kind of session ( as opposed to combat-oriented session ), in which you leave a lot of freedom to your players. However with a carefully crafted campaign thanks to the editor, you may lay the foundations to such a game. Then your role as Game Master would essentially be to offer some interactions that would be way more organic than counting on scripts alone. [/quote]

So basically what I was thinking about. But still it can be very fun if you stopped playing the main campaign. But I feel like it will never give that satisfaction I get from evolving in a story and making a lasting choice(which 4 player co-op in the main story does seem to aiming at). I guess it will all depend on the freedom the editor provides.

addict
addict
Best thing is that you can even dream of creating campaigns for other DM to run. Just like the real thing. After all, at the core of almost every campaign, there are pre-established maps.

The ultimate trick would probably be to let your player start on a small patch of land into the nothingness and build the world as they go, which would be some X-trem GMing. If the tool work, however, I can almost fully expect that someone will try it and suceed at it. Modders are a rare breed of passionate people.

Click to reveal..
G
stranger
stranger
G
also am I doing something wrong with the qoutes? Because everything is showing up between brackets but not how it should be(in a little box beginning with originally posted by).

apprentice
apprentice
also am I doing something wrong with the qoutes? Because everything is showing up between brackets but not how it should be(in a little box beginning with originally posted by).

Probation period. An admin has to un-probation you.

addict
addict
So basically what I was thinking about. But still it can be very fun if you stopped playing the main campaign. But I feel like it will never give that satisfaction I get from evolving in a story and making a lasting choice(which 4 player co-op in the main story does seem to aiming at). I guess it will all depend on the freedom the editor provides.

Well, it may provide MORE satisfaction, it's all up to the Gamemaster =) Best case scenario, there is no difference for the players between the standard campaign and the gamemastered one. Story and interactions should have even more lasting consequences as the GM should be able to virtually change anything to reflect his players' choices, instead of having to rely on preprogrammed scripts that may feel sometimes awkward ( the standard DOS2 campaign *will* be like this )
It should be the ultimate freedom experience, as long as the GM can provide! =)

Do you know maybe OCTGN ? It's a program that enables you to play any card game online. I played some Android: Netrunner over OCTGN. The rules are there because someone programmed them in, but you can also perfectly do everything manually. Declare you start a run on the corp servers, let the other guy rez an ice or not, everyone calculates his own costs, etc. It's virtually a blank slate BUT with all the visuals from the card game, so it feels like the real thing except you're on your computer alone.
A tad less sexy I'd say, but when you have nobody to play with locally ... it's perfectly functionnal.

Last edited by Dr Koin; 30/09/15 11:23 PM.

Click to reveal..
apprentice
apprentice
On a separate note, I am actually creating a public Discord server for anyone to hop on and chat, maybe find some campaign buddies. It's all part of my evil plan to pull as many people off of Skype and TeamSpeak as possible >^> Huehuehue. I'll paste it once I get proper permissions and channels set up.

In all seriousness though, the guys at Discord deserve the attention and I'm giving them the deserved word-of-mouth promotion.

addict
addict
Let's pretend I'm lazy and I'd rather let you give me the sell pitch ... ( pretend only? hmm.. )
What is making Discord better? :p

Click to reveal..
G
stranger
stranger
G
Like I said I never played pen&paper so I'm absolutely in the dark about the actual possibilities concerning bringing it to live within software.
So from what I understand is that creating narrative will work the way it works on pen&paper through the art of imagination. You can create a dungeon but the story behind it will be the game masters doing and will be solely possible when narrated through other channels beside the game. So you create a story outside of the game, create an environment for this story in the game or will the game have more options then just creating the environment for the narrative you created? It just that I want to understand what the actual possibilites are.

OP Offline
I'm liking what I'm seeing, but yes, what Dr Koin said. Sales pitch please.

Devine Order of Devinity
OP Offline
Like I said I never played pen&paper so I'm absolutely in the dark about the actual possibilities concerning bringing it to live within software.
So from what I understand is that creating narrative will work the way it works on pen&paper through the art of imagination. You can create a dungeon but the story behind it will be the game masters doing and will be solely possible when narrated through other channels beside the game. So you create a story outside of the game, create an environment for this story in the game or will the game have more options then just creating the environment for the narrative you created? It just that I want to understand what the actual possibilites are.

Of course this is all speculation. But yes, that could be it. You think of a story, lay out your dungeon. Let your players run through it, maybe thrown in surprises real time. The a sign of a great GM is knowing how to react to the adventurer actions.

If you are up to watching a pen and paper in action, I highly recommend Titansgrave on Geek and Sundry.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT954UvydqNVClXAH3GRT0pAp2

Devine Order of Devinity
apprentice
apprentice
Well, to save myself a couple sentences explaining what it brings to the table compared to the other big programs used for gaming/party chat:
[Linked Image]
A friend came across this program a while ago and it is a lot more user-friendly than the others. TeamSpeak has a lot of hoops you have to jump through to set up a server (not to mention it looks like a Windows 98 program) and Skype has been getting more bloated and annoying.
Discord's servers are set up in a way similar to Skype's chatting, but with a separate text/voice channel setup, kind of like a modern TeamSpeak. The dev team specifically built it to give gamers a haven from Skype and TeamSpeak specifically.
Oh, and did I mention you don't have to download it to use it? It has a browser client, too! You can just set a username and get into it without even registering (though registering is required if you want to reserve that username for future use)

Last edited by MechSoldier; 30/09/15 11:45 PM.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by MechSoldier
sniiiIIip

Alright, thanks for sharing =) Maybe I'll have a look at it sometimes.

In the meantime, it's bed time ! So I'll leave all to it.

I bet with so many messages even Jeff won't read.... :p
And if he does, well, hi boss !

Click to reveal..
G
stranger
stranger
G
Thanks! And also I have a friend who is a 'game master' for the dark eye(german pen and paper) so I can probably persuade him to create a campaign. The more I think about it, these type of features can really give big replay opportunities to this game. I mean I'm playing vampire: the masquerade bloodlines right now and the amount of modding that is still going on for this game is astonishing. It's eleven years old for christ sake.

OP Offline
Thanks! And also I have a friend who is a 'game master' for the dark eye(german pen and paper) so I can probably persuade him to create a campaign. The more I think about it, these type of features can really give big replay opportunities to this game. I mean I'm playing vampire: the masquerade bloodlines right now and the amount of modding that is still going on for this game is astonishing. It's eleven years old for christ sake.

Great mods and mod support can do that for a game.

Anways, I'm off too. Night all.

Devine Order of Devinity
apprentice
apprentice
Well, here's the Discord Server link. Channels are still a work in progress. I haven't made any voice channels for now. Will add/change as I go!

Support
Support

I moved half a dozen 'new users' into the 'user' group, so you should be able to add a portrait/signature and will not need to enter captchas to post, etc. If you edit a previous reply and hit the button to save changes, quotes and smilies will show up properly.

Page 4 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 6 41 42

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard