Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ravensRblack

CK2, teaching you what really matters. Murder, regicide, misogyny, incest, adultery, polygamy, Paganism - all for the glory of your family.

Thank you. I have learned so many new words today.
Now I need to practice them in real life. evil

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Ohkay dokay, modified off from a 2009 post of mine:

Let there be a small but secretive handful of demons who aren't too interested in fighting.

Their motives could range from "sick and tired of fighting for over a few thousand years", to "they've got human lovers", to "not very convinced that resurrecting Lord of Chaos will be the best for the demon populations(Fear that their culture could regress? Or demons also die in huge numbers in order for him to achieve his goals, etc.)", etc.

Yeah, and maybe also throw in "demons" as a faction. :P

Perhaps that could happen in the next game. wink I'd really love this to happen as it could allow writers to subvert oh, so many stereotypes about demons and add another layer of complexity to the game.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
Free form physics based combat system

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would like to see a game which included the kind of AI, that Larian wanted to include since the founding of the company. They one with day- and night-cycles and NPC's that sell objects again, after they bought it from the npc's.

But if this would be possible, Larian would work for the US-Government and not in gaming industry^^.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by BoTToX
Yeha, destructible environments would be great !!!

This is something I would like to have myself A LOT.

stranger
stranger
Complete voice acting. It's one of the main reasons I am looking forward to D:OS EE.

God save our Queen Char!

My favorite combo: Shackles of Pain + Charm + Whip ;-)
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ravensRblack
Originally Posted by Lord_MacLeod
Well, not true - in "Crusader Kings 2" I *do* murder children, if they're nasty heirs to the throne and I'm directly behind them in succession... *evilgrin*

CK2, teaching you what really matters. Murder, regicide, misogyny, incest, adultery, polygamy, Paganism - all for the glory of your family.

How I would love to start new game of CK2! No time for that though, D:OS EE is coming laugh .

God save our Queen Char!

addict
addict
day night cycle

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by norD

I suppose this would be a nice challenge for a level designer, wouldn't it?

stranger
stranger

Well, they could make every NPC partying all day (and night) long. Like themselves at Larian laugh .

God save our Queen Char!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
unrealistic ideas you say?

How about...

*Children* in D:OS 2 wink

This made me "laugh" a bit. I'll talk about my last job here just because of that.
Just before joining Larian I worked on AC Syndicate for 2 and a half year.
For those who don't know, that AC game is set in London during the industrial revolution.
One important part of that time period was kid orphanage, child labor and so on. There were a lot of topics concerning children. So we were mostly forced to add children in the game; which was never done before. Adding children to the game costed a lot of ressources. New animations, new skeletons, new rigs, new model, etc, etc.
Adding children to a game is, really, hard if you haven't planned for it and it's still pretty hard even if you have planned for it. For DOS it would be even harder because you would need, dwarf, lizards, elves, human and undead children. That's just insane...
Also, children break games. What I mean is that, in games, you can't kill children. It's just not right.
In DOS, one of the core system of the game is that you can kill every single NPC and still be able to finish the game.
Adding children, in my opinion would break that core concept because it would just be so wrong to be able to kill them...
So yeah, that one is a dream for sure, haha.
My 2 cents ^__^

Hehe, yeah, I actually know the problems from the art side. When I modded Fallout 3 and later Skyrim I realized children couldn't just be a different mesh, they had to be, if you wanted to do it properly, an entirely new *race* aka, different skeleton, equipment, animations, rig and when you get non-anthropomorphic races you have that problem all over again. And that is HUGE cost and time factor.

Of all the ideas here, I think "properly implemented children" you know, with correct growth simulated and all that, are the biggest pipe dream of them all. Until we can somehow generate humans procedurally this will literally never be done. I have to give kudos to Bethesda at least, since they do have teenager meshes too. But it gets really weird when all you see is 12 year olds and 16 year olds (for example). Throws you right back out of the immersion -> Little Lamplight in Fallout 3....

It's funny, but I think this entire "growth" problem in RPG's is something that is very hard to solve all around not just for humans but also for animals. It is one of these last immersion barriers that just don't seem to be falling anytime soon.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N

It would just be so great to create level with destructible environments. So many possibilities.

veteran
veteran
- You can use a catapult to throw yourself into the city (In case you cannot convince the guard to let you in.)

Edit: Or maybe a cannon. I still remember the fast travel from secret of mana.

Last edited by Madscientist; 06/10/15 05:04 PM.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict

It would just be so great to create level with destructible environments. So many possibilities.

That sounds like fun! :3 Like for example: the tree falls apart or a rock breaks into pieces. Still, after combat has ended, how are we gonna navigate around the map if parts of a building have fallen off, a tree is now blocking the bridge, etc.?

Are you gonna put some limitations so that certain larger items(building, rock, tree, bridge, etc.) can sustain only partial damage and not completely affect the game? 'Cos ya know, if there's a large fallen tree blocking a bridge and no one can cross over it, it's gonna be an issue if the bridge is currently the only way to a certain map area.

As I recall, all the NPCs in DOS could be killed and it'd be a problem if say, you're fighting and start a fire which spreads and burns down a shop(and its occupants), that's important to a quest.

Edit: I hope people can understand this post 'cos I'm half-asleep atm.

Last edited by DrunkenTofu; 06/10/15 05:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brys Beddict
Complete voice acting. It's one of the main reasons I am looking forward to D:OS EE.

I'd hate that. VA is what restricted the narrative in games for more than a decade now...

WOOS
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
@Drunken, I would like to be able to answer that but since it's just a dream for me it's not something that will mostly happen in the game. ^__^

veteran
veteran
Day and night cycles with npc schedules. I'm actually pretty surprised they're not showing up in D:OS 2 considering they were once on the table for D:OS (and they have more time to focus on development now since many of the tools and assets for creating the game are already at least partway there).

addict
addict
@Drunken, I would like to be able to answer that but since it's just a dream for me it's not something that will mostly happen in the game. ^__^

I find your lack of faith... Disturbing.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
veteran
veteran
- One huge map without loading screens.

I admit that D:OS1 had very big maps and very little loading screens (compared to PoE for example) and I liked it. I like that you can enter buildings without a loading screen.

The best game in this regard is risen1. The entire game is one big map. There are 3 towns, lots of houses, many ruins and dungeons, but you can play the whole game without ever seing a loading screen (maybe except one time when you enter the harbour town for the first time). Of coure these teleporter orbs you get later saves you lots of running but they cause loading (I guess, its a long time since I played it).

Loading screens are immersion breaking because they remind you that this is a computer program.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I don't mind loading screens that much, but it 's pretty excessive in Pillars for at 2015 game. It's almost like they put them there to cater to the nostalgia.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard