Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2013
nstgc Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: May 2013
Okay, so the Linux version is being pushed back once more to make room for the console version. Dickish, but financially sound.

So what is the time line for the Linux version? Next month, next year, next decade?


CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Should be early December.

The Linux version was not 'pushed back'.

The console versions have an extra certification process that they needed to go through, as well as manufacturing for the retail release. The PC versions of the game are digital only, and therefor had a more flexible release, which did not need to be determined as far in advance (and it was only fairly recently that Larian was confident the Windows version would be ready by the console release).

Without separate teams for every platform, the only way the game could be completed was to do the content first and focus on the console versions. When they got sent for certification, start switching over to the Windows version to focus on PC only issues (changes to the keyboard/mouse UI, etc), then port to Mac and Linux.
The plan was to have that process done for a simultaneous release, but it took longer than anticipated.

Without the console version to justify the additional development, D:OS wouldn't be getting the Enhanced Edition. It could have gotten another update or two, but not 7 months of voice work, changes to story, a rewritten ending and additions/changes to dialogue and quests throughout the game, etc.

Joined: May 2013
nstgc Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: May 2013
I completely understand the need for a console version. I imagine that few PC users (PC meaning personal computer, not Windows machine) who don't own D:OS by now would be interested. A shiny new edition couldn't be given away unless someone else was paying for it (ie console gamers).

I don't, however, have to be happy about it. Console gamers getting this before Linux gamers, who actually supported the Kickstarter, is a serious rub.


CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Joined: Aug 2013
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Aug 2013
Well, nstgc, don't forget that if not for the PC version of D:OS there'd have been no EE edition of the game for consoles...period...;) The PC game and original kickstarter made it possible for them to do a console version later on.

Also, the current consoles, both the xBone and the PSforeskein (sic), are x86 PCs in truth--albeit relatively weak PCs, but they are still x86 PCs underneath the makeup, 100%. The only regrettable consolification happening these days is the controller-oriented UI's--which I don't much like, either...;) Give me mouse & keyboard, or give me de--(well, er, maybe I should rethink that sentiment...;)) But I will cling to my mouse and keyboard until they pry them from my cold, dead, fin--ok, that's enough of that!




I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
Joined: Jun 2014
P
stranger
Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Jun 2014
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't just dual-boot Windows for games?

I love and use *nix every day at work, but for gaming, if you're just going to open Steam and launch into Divinity anyway, why does the underlying OS matter at all?

Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Kiel, Germany
E
stranger
Offline
stranger
E
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Kiel, Germany
Originally Posted by PewPewPew
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't just dual-boot Windows for games?

I love and use *nix every day at work, but for gaming, if you're just going to open Steam and launch into Divinity anyway, why does the underlying OS matter at all?


I assume that is a very personal choice for most non-Windows user so here is only my point on that:
a) Most of my machines don't even have Windows installed so it takes a bit more effort than just rebooting.
b) Ethical reasons - You can insert any reason on free software (free as in freedom not as in free beer) here.
c) The one copy of windows that I have installed is always outdated and needs 1-2 hours of patching before I can play seriously
d) If I boot windows I am limited to only gaming because there is literally nothing else installed in my windows system. Also, I can't have any "serious" tasks running while gaming.

Joined: May 2013
nstgc Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: May 2013
You're making the assumption that I have Windows. Windows doesn't come on every computer.


CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Joined: Oct 2015
U
stranger
Offline
stranger
U
Joined: Oct 2015
I can buy the console release date argument.

But the Linux users were told "please be patient, it's coming" for too long now. Being delayed weeks(and probably months) after the Windows version one more time is just an huge disappointment. But we are accustomed to.

It's the reason, I did not back Divinity II.

Last edited by UtherII; 27/10/15 09:14 PM.
Joined: May 2013
nstgc Offline OP
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: May 2013
I finally caved. My desktop does have a small Win7 partition. I booted that up.


CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
Joined: May 2014
Location: Germany
pts Offline
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: May 2014
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by nstgc
I finally caved. My desktop does have a small Win7 partition. I booted that up.


Oh no! ^^ Just when i wanted to recommend Wine for D:OS on Linux. At least for the non-EE, it worked great with only minimal slowdowns a year back.

Joined: Oct 2015
J
stranger
Offline
stranger
J
Joined: Oct 2015
Bit of a hijack, but since we're talking about the upgrade to Mac; If I were to buy the original version of the game now, would I be able to take advantage of the free upgrade since I can't purchase/play the Enhanced Edition? Also, does anyone know if you can port saves?

Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
R
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
R
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Originally Posted by Raze

Should be early December.

The Linux version was not 'pushed back'.

The console versions have an extra certification process that they needed to go through, as well as manufacturing for the retail release. The PC versions of the game are digital only, and therefor had a more flexible release, which did not need to be determined as far in advance (and it was only fairly recently that Larian was confident the Windows version would be ready by the console release).

Without separate teams for every platform, the only way the game could be completed was to do the content first and focus on the console versions. When they got sent for certification, start switching over to the Windows version to focus on PC only issues (changes to the keyboard/mouse UI, etc), then port to Mac and Linux.
The plan was to have that process done for a simultaneous release, but it took longer than anticipated.

Without the console version to justify the additional development, D:OS wouldn't be getting the Enhanced Edition. It could have gotten another update or two, but not 7 months of voice work, changes to story, a rewritten ending and additions/changes to dialogue and quests throughout the game, etc.


Sorry, but I really don't believe you or Larian anymore. I accepted that argument once, for D:OS and even supported that it was good sense not go forward with the Linux version of D:OS, once EE was announced.

However, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I assume that we will never see a Linux version, just more excuses, rationalizing and other lip service. As a customer that bought every single RPG from Larian since Divine Divinity and a Kickstarter Backer (both D:OS and D:OS 2), I feel betrayed. I will not invest another penny into Larian games unless and until I will see that Linux version.


Joined: Oct 2015
P
stranger
Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Oct 2015
I tried to play the game through Parallels VM on my MacBook Pro and it produced something like 15 fps. It was a torture. In the end I surrendered, installed Windows 10, spent a couple of hours, installing drivers from BootCamp disk. Now I can play. Performance is suboptimal, but this is simply because my machine is not a killer. Certainly I could wait until december... But no, temptation is irresistible.


Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5