Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lyrhe Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Greetings Source Hunters!

I want to talk about a little thing that really annoys me about the new Enhanced Edition and is a factor for me, that really ruins my experience with the otherwise great EE. My problem is the new voice over for every type of dialogue in the game. I don't want to start the old reading vs. listening debate again so please just sit back and take my critic as constructive.

As you probably all know, in the original game the only things voiced were the short commentaries between your adventures. You entered a dungeon and your character would probably say a short sentence. You could hear some guards or citizens talk to each other and stuff like that. But as soon as you entered a dialogue with a NPC or a group it was plain old reading; and I liked that. I like reading and I enjoy making up fitting voices in my head for each character.

That doesn't mean I don't want voices at all in my games. I also enjoy hearing the little chatter when I'm not busy reading a dialogue. My characters commenting something while I explore is perfectly fine!

The EE however has both - which is good for some people but for me it really ruins the game. I can't concentrate on what I'm reading because a (for my taste) unfitting voice is SLOWLY reading out loud in the beackground what I already read like 20 seconds ago. It's confusing and makes it harder to focus on the bare text. However, if I disable the voices in the Sound Options I will also not have the commentaries between the dialogues which makes the world somewhat boring.

I'd love to have the options to just disable voices when talking to someone but still hear them on the normal map. I hope you can understand my english, I'm not a native speaker and had to work for hours with a dictionary just to write this.

Maybe there are other people like me out there that just want to read for themselves. Feel free to leave a supporting comment.

apprentice
apprentice
I agree completely. I've only played the Enhanced Edition. All I needed was a conversation with a clam to convince me the voiceovers were not for me, but I too would like the banter you describe enabled.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Lyrhe
Greetings Source Hunters!

I can't concentrate on what I'm reading because a (for my taste) unfitting voice is SLOWLY reading out loud in the beackground what I already read like 20 seconds ago. It's confusing and makes it harder to focus on the bare text. However, if I disable the voices in the Sound Options I will also not have the commentaries between the dialogues which makes the world somewhat boring.

I'd love to have the options to just disable voices when talking to someone but still hear them on the normal map. I hope you can understand my english, I'm not a native speaker and had to work for hours with a dictionary just to write this.

Brilliantly put. I couldn't have written it better myself.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard