Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I don't know how else to put this, but the controller UI for D:OEE is really, really unintuitive. I am constantly hopping through drop menus after drop menus to execute the simplest of actions, like moving a crate; I can't see stats changes when I equip items on characters because there is no stats screen accompanying the character paperdolls; there is no "alt" key to spot items in the distance, instead we are reduced to an "area search" function.

Movement is great as I can walk without hitting a toggle key, and the enlarged fonts makes it easier on my failing eyesight, but other than that, the controller UI is a nightmare.

Luckily, I had setup an Xpadder profile when I was playing D:O, which allows me to switch to keyboard + mouse UI while using my Xbox controller, using my left trigger key for spotting (when do we ever need the right mouse button in this game....) but I can barely read the texts and there is no way to change the font size.

...why is there such a significant difference between the keyboard + mouse and the controller UIs? The controller UI really should have just taken the existing keyboard + mouse UI from D:O and added some small touches (left stick movement, enlarged font, toggle between centered character movement and free movement).

Last edited by Stabby96; 02/11/15 11:21 PM.
S
S
somehow I managed to reply to the wrong thread, sorry.

Last edited by Sotanaht; 03/11/15 02:52 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Sorry man, but you're being too hasty to say that, controller on this game is awesome so let's clarify some mishaps.
To address the first problem you just have to press the X button to open the menu with the move command. Do this with the box lined up.

The controler UI comes like a thought in a few hours, at first I thought it strange as well, but now it's like a no brainer.

You can toggle movement by pressing the left analog stick, you can make to appear the name and position of all items by pressing the right analog stick.

On this game it only takes a little practice, I have to say that I'm charmed by how they implemented the controller on this game. It works really nice.

And about the UI, I don't know how to fix it, but it became hard for me to read the text as well when I installed my pc on my TV. I guess there must be some config we mis-look.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I played for 10 hours with it and found it inferior to keyboard + mouse controls, which is why I went back to Xpadder key mapping in order to use my controller. With my Xpadder mapping, if I need to telekinetically toss an oil barrel, all I need to do is to hold down my right trigger (mapped with left mouse button), move my right stick (mapped with mouse directions), and let go of the trigger to drop the damn thing. Whereas with the EE controller UI, you have to first hit the left trigger button to go into free movement mode, move the cursor to the oil barrel, click on it to pull up the drop menu, select move, and the spot where you want to throw it. If you don't go into free movement mode, you have to move your character up to the oil barrel rather than use telekinesis. Those are completely unnecessary extra steps.

The "old" UI where the inventory screen has the paperdoll, so you can instantly see what benefits your new equipment has. It doesn't make sense to me why they segregated those two screens for the controller UI, thus forcing people using controller UI to click through several drop menus and screens--completely unintuitive.

Controller UI also does not have a spot key (alt by default), and instead rely on the search area function with it's tiny radius. After reverting to Xpadder key mapping so I could access the keyboard + mouse interface, I couldn't believe how much stuff I missed in the tutorial dungeon alone using that silly function, running all over the screen and holding my A button to search every area.

At this point, I am content to stick with Xpadder so I can access the much more intuitive and comprehensive keyboard + mouse UI. My only remaining gripe is that there is no game option to adjust font size (to make the texts more readable), and that you currently can't unbind initiate coop from the controller start button.

Last edited by Stabby96; 03/11/15 04:24 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard