Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MrWoof Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I'm trying to get a character move speed mod working in the new EE version. I looked at the player.lsb from the original mod (found on the nexus mods). It's supposed to increase player speed around 33% and it worked on the original DOS. When looking at the modified file, all it did was change the field for Run Speed from the default 3.75 to 5 for all the player characters. Very simple, and it was so nice to have in the original DOS.

So I tried placing it into the new EE folders, it doesn't work. No surprise. I unpacked the main.pak file with the new unpacking tool (the one that's only like a week old, converterapp.exe I think). Now, in the original DOS the folder structure for players.lsb was: \data\public\main\roottemplates\player.lsb. When unpacked, the new EE main.pak had this instead: \public\shared\roottemplates\player.lsb. The new main.pak has both a shared and a main folder in the same directory, but the player.lsb moved from the main path to the shared path.

So, armed with the knowledge of the original mod's changes, I opened up this new (the default) player.lsb from the EE's main.pak. Using lstools I was able to open it up and change everyone's run speed from 3.75 to 5. Now, yes, I know that lstools isn't supported anymore and it was for the original DOS not EE. So it's quite possible that it didn't save the file correctly or whatever.

With the new EE player.lsb file modified, I tried repacking it. That didn't work. I tried placing it in the EE directory with the same public\shared\etc, the same file structure as the main.pak showed me. It still doesn't work.

At this point, I'm figuring that either lstools can't handle the .lsb files for EE because they are somehow different, or that I'm trying to re-insert the modified EE player.lsb file incorrectly, or that I just have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'm close, but I'm probably not. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

M
MrWoof Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Update: Using the more recently updated EE converter tools from Norbit, I was able to open (as LSX) both the player.lsb from Main.pak and the player.lsf from MainLSF.pak. Both of these files have the fields for player runspeed (default 3.75, I tried 5 and I tried 5.25 in case the decimals mattered). Converting them back and putting them into their correct subfolder still doesn't do anything. The player.lsb gives me the "main stuff is corrupt you can't do multiplayer" but no speed effect. The player.lsf does nothing either.

My guess is that the tools can't open/save the files properly (creating a bit of corruption), the game refuses to let the changes work, or I'm just not good enough to understand (probably this one). I'm writing this post in case it might help someone who's trying to work on this as well.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I got it working, but hexediting, if you want to modify yourself, do the following steps:

1-Extract Main.pak and MainLSF.pak to Divinity folder, and delete that two files.

2- Go to folder \Data\Public\Shared\RootTemplates and locate player.lsb and player.lsf

3-Search into file player.lsb for HEX string "140000000600000000007040". Modify that fractional number 7040=3.75(8040=4.00, 9040=4.50,A040=5.50) in all occurrence.

4-On file player.lsf search for HEX String "7040" and modify too(fractional number 7040=3.75(8040=4.00, 9040=4.50,A040=5.50)

done.

Canï½´t get working with main.pak and mainlsf.pak on divinity folder, had to delete both :(

Here is the modified files for various speed, 3.75 to 6.00
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r42ptsfi2gvmzll/RunSpeedHack.rar?dl=0

edit: I just tested the last version of Norbit extract tool, and now works great. Just need to delete the main.pak and mainlsf.pak. :)

1000x Thanks Norbit!!!

Last edited by Kidling; 05/11/15 11:59 PM.
M
MrWoof Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Thank you! Crazy stuff. Do you mean to extract the main/mainlsf.pak files and put those folders into the Data\ folder and delete the pak files themselves? I imagine the game needs those files to run, right? Also, THANK YOU!!! <3 <3 <3

Edit: Yup, like I thought. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Edit #2: I noticed that loading the folders without main.pak takes awhile when starting a game, so I extracted Main.pak, put in your modified files (replacing the player.LSB and adding in the player.LSF from you), then repacked it as Main.pak, moved it back into the Data folder and it worked fine. Loaded much faster from startup and kept the move speed changes.

I did delete the MainLSF.pak file but from what I know that thing is just for mods or something? My game loaded just fine without that .pak so whatever. Thank you!

Last edited by MrWoof; 06/11/15 03:05 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
After testing a bit myself, It seems that the lsf file from mainLSF is what really matters.
You only need to delete/rename the mainLSF.pak and copy the edited LSF file and everything should work. Changing or deleting Main.pak doesn't seems to be necessary.

The game will still work even without extracting all of MainLSF.pak files but I don't know if there are any ramifications for that in game. So far I haven't seen any.

Last edited by thechosen1; 06/11/15 08:05 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
confimed, only need to edit player.sff

M
MrWoof Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
For real? That's freaking awesome, that makes things way, way easier! You rock!

Edit: I made a reddit post with a simple install guide (https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOr...n_speed_mod_extremely_easy_installation/). I hope that's okay with you Kidling since I link your mod. I gave credit to you for your awesome work and to Norbyte for creating the tool that made this possible.

Last edited by MrWoof; 06/11/15 08:04 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Is there anyone out there that'd be willing to make a dummy's guide to making your own speed edit? I love the mod, but a friend and I thought it'd be a lot better go even a bit faster than the 6 that the mod provides. We're hoping for a 7 or an 8. I tried going through the bit of instruction mentioned above, with the hex editing, but the file I ended up putting into the Data folder just crashed the game, so I had to revert to the 6 speed MainLSF file from the mod.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

old hand
old hand
Download Norbyte's EE pak extractor: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572322#Post572322

Convert the player.lsb in the mod into a player.lsx.

Open it with Notepad++ (it'll be unreadable with plain Notepad)

Replace Runspeed "6" with 8 or whatever for the player and the companions and henchmen. You could also increase walk speed if you want (though I'd probably still keep that below 4)

Convert the Player.lsx back into Player.lsb (just select player.lsx as the one to convert, locate the folder where you found it in the mod, and change the save name to Player.lsb and hit convert).

You don't need the Player.lsf (works for me with just the .lsb anyhow) or to do any hex editing. Probably need just the lsf or just the lsb, not both. I couldn't even convert the lsf for some reason, so use the lsb.

M
stranger
stranger
M
That definitely helped! I got it working perfectly now. Thank you so much!

M
stranger
stranger
M
The game got updated recently and the speed mod I did stopped working. I tried going through the process with steps Baardvark spelled out, but I can't get it to work again. Has anyone had it working on the newest update? Am I just missing something?

old hand
old hand
Have you renamed or moved your MainLSF.pak file again? Updating generates a new one of these files.

Link Copied to Clipboard