Next Thread
Print Thread
#573868 03/11/15 10:08 AM
F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Which class will start with a blunt weapon?

Intend to start DOSEE with a mage + rogue on Tactician mode.
Since backstab will not work on undead, would like to start with a blunt weapon straightaway (Tactician mode !!).

Which class should I customise?

veteran
veteran
Cleric starts with blunt.

And are you still going to do your very first playthrough of the game past level 3 on Tactician? Well, okay, but you can't say that you weren't warned.

Backstab DOES work on Undead. It's just that Skeletons are resistant to piercing damage.

Last edited by Stabbey; 03/11/15 02:23 PM. Reason: piercing damage
enthusiast
enthusiast
Like Stabbey said, Backstab does work on Undead, it's just that they are resistant to piercing damage and (for whatever daft reason) you cannot use any blunt weapons such as a blackjack, the most thief-y weapon in the entire game, for backstabbing.

F
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Cleric starts with blunt.

And are you still going to do your very first playthrough of the game past level 3 on Tactician? Well, okay, but you can't say that you weren't warned.

Backstab DOES work on Undead. It's just that Skeletons are resistant to piercing damage.

Just to be clear, I tend to lose interest in games (even ones that I otherwise genuinely like) at somewhere around the 30-40% mark).
For example:
I left Pillars of Eternity at the start of Act II because of some annoying-level bugs, and a bit of being overwhelmed at the size of the first large city.
I also left XCOM when the first rescue mission started - found it too difficult.
I left DOS1 playing on hard when I got to a fight that I could probably have done reasonably on medium (plus enhanced was the excuse.........)

I now see a bit of a pattern here in my playstyle - play on easy / medium, find it reasonably OK. Move to hard. Gets difficult around mid-game. Get stuck. Drop game.

However, I also tend to like fiddling around with a lot of classes, class options and class combinations. This primarily involves playing the first 10% percent of the game with a wide variety of characters to see what I like, and also how different characters play.

In general, I think your warning might help me continue with the game on a lower difficulty level.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Luckmann
Like Stabbey said, Backstab does work on Undead, it's just that they are resistant to piercing damage and (for whatever daft reason) you cannot use any blunt weapons such as a blackjack, the most thief-y weapon in the entire game, for backstabbing.

Back"stab"... How do you "stab" with a "blunt" item? If it was called flanking, id give you that.. But it can only be done with thrusting/piercing weapons.. If this was not the case, the Rogue class would have much less appeal..

I started a new EE run through recently, and i am currently in the undead forests around Cyseal.. On tactican.. Made the mistake of venturing out with Wulgruff, instead of Madora, oir Bairdotr.. His dual daggers worked just fine.. Admittedly, he was my only companion to go down.. As i stated in another thread (either here, or on Steam forum) there was some freak occurance, that caused 3 separate combat scenarios to pull all at once.. I survived all 3, with low lvl witch, fighter, Jahan, and Wulgruff.. Very not combat optimal team, fighting at above normal difficulty, and 3 separate groups..

We dont need to min/max our team for combat.. Dont forget to RP your crafters, thieves/sneaks, barterers, etc in with the group.. Youll find the game far more enjoyable, when you dont play it as a combat sim!

PS: i Used the blackjack just fine with my Shadowblade btw.. Its made with the minimum strength possible, for that very reason.. Thats why its always set, in the very 1st combat you will encounter.. (beyond the tutorial)

C
stranger
stranger
C
backstab has nothing to do with stabbing.

backstab is another word for insidious, betraying and similar. backstab simply means doing thing in a cruel/vicious way without the other one noticing. and I know this despite english not being my first language.

btw you can very well hit vital spots with blunt weapons.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by cptcosmic
backstab has nothing to do with stabbing.

backstab is another word for insidious, betraying and similar. backstab simply means doing thing in a cruel/vicious way without the other one noticing. and I know this despite english not being my first language.

btw you can very well hit vital spots with blunt weapons.

Right. But "stab" became the colloquial norm anyway. It should have been backthwack, which imho sounds better and rhymes but no ...

"Blindside" is another term used. If only early English RPG makers had picked that instead of "Backstab" and we might not have silly arguments like this about game engines now.

Link Copied to Clipboard