Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Targeting creatures, as I'm sure you are aware, is very troublesome. It relies on the creature's actual mesh for hit detection, which means if it has a fidget animation that signifivantly alters its location (such as ducking, shuffling side to side, kneeling, or even somersaulting!), you can end up wasting many APs on a misclick or even walking into surface and seriously screwing yourself. I'm aware of the tactical view but it's far from being a good solution!

I'd expected this to be better in the EE - sadly it is not. I'm guessing that ship has sailed for DOS, but you must do better for DOS2 at least!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
True, it drives me nuts; the earth elementals are particularly annoying, but far from the only culprits. Life is a little easier in top-down mode ("B" key) but I don't really like playing from that perspective.

J'aime le fromage.
N
stranger
stranger
N
I've tried top-down mode but it makes virtually no difference. I've also had targeting flicker between a creature and nearby points on the terrain (and sometimes other target-able objects or even trees near the caster/ranger) when the creature target is as unmoving as a statue so there seems to be something else interfering with things besides movement of the creature mesh. Oh to have the ability to lock on a target.

old hand
old hand
I haven't run into this much yet on PS4 but I know it's only a matter of time if they haven't changed it. What a shame.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cattletech
Targeting creatures, as I'm sure you are aware, is very troublesome. It relies on the creature's actual mesh for hit detection, which means if it has a fidget animation that signifivantly alters its location (such as ducking, shuffling side to side, kneeling, or even somersaulting!), you can end up wasting many APs on a misclick or even walking into surface and seriously screwing yourself. I'm aware of the tactical view but it's far from being a good solution!

I'd expected this to be better in the EE - sadly it is not. I'm guessing that ship has sailed for DOS, but you must do better for DOS2 at least!

Improvements to targeting are already in the game. Actually, most have been in since the original D:OS release as well. You have several options available to you.

First, obviously, is just left-clicking on the unit you want to attack. If you're in a rush and not taking the time to zoom in on the target first, or don't have a steady aim, then this can lead to accidentally issuing movement orders (which seems to be the problem you're complaining about). So, let's assume this method isn't working well for you and move on.

Your second option is this: when you're using a skill or spell, you don't have to click on the animated creature on the field to apply that skill/spell to them. You can just activate the skill/spell and then click on the portrait of the monster. The UI will highlight the opponent on the field as you mouse over each portrait, providing visual confirmation of your target (likewise, the UI will highlight the portrait of the NPC model you're currently mousing over, removing all of the guesswork). When you have the skill/spell queued and click on the appropriate portrait, the skill/spell will be used on that target in the field.

Now, for normal (non skill/spell) attacks you simply have to right-click on the target model in the field and select "attack" from the context menu that appears. Your character will then initiate a standard attack on that target.

Last but not least, you also have the option of holding down the SHIFT key when left-clicking (which is the default key for placing actions in a queue). Your action will not be initiated until you take your finger off the shift key, and while you have it pressed down you can (at your leisure) verify that you have issued an attack order rather than a movement command. If you see you issued a movement command by mistake, you can right-click (while the shift key is still being held down) and cancel your queued action - no AP used, no accidental movement, no hitting the wrong target.

Using any of those options (other than the first, which is the one you're struggling with) it's simply impossible for you to accidentally move towards your target instead of attacking it. Options out the wazoo, and most of them have been in the game since the original release of D:OS.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Still, no one can deny that the most natural method of attacking is by far the simple left clicking option. So yeah, the other methods help, but some are quite clunky and it is not rocket science to implement targeting snapping to characters...

... which you may not always want, for example when targeting a specific point on the ground. So perhaps holding down some key to toggle snapping to characters would be the best method. This changes nothing for those who have no problem with the current way, and greatly improves life for those who are not satisfied with pixel perfect targating. Win win. smile

If not for DOS, this would really be a welcome improvement for DOS2.

veteran
veteran
Hmm, there is already a ridiculous amount of snap for all standard attacks and many abilities, making it difficult to intentionally aim attacks on the ground near a unit.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Actually targeting is not even my main problem.
The fact that even between 2 attacks in 1 round the mouse jumps back to the char that made his/her first attack.

Especially with bairdotr that is highly annoying since you have RANGED attacks meaning you have to scroll back to where you were during the first attack. Technically it happens to mages as well but rangers seem to have both problems at once: Jumping mouse and small targets leads to a lot of annoying misslcicks.

Last edited by MAsterX; 04/11/15 01:10 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Disable the Dynamic Camera to stop that (also quite annoying!).

Gyson - thanks for the helpful suggestions, hadn't thought of the last two. That said these are more "workarounds" than real solutions, I think the devs should just stop the fidgeting when characters are hovered or find some other satisfactory solution.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cattletech
Disable the Dynamic Camera to stop that (also quite annoying!).

Gyson - thanks for the helpful suggestions, hadn't thought of the last two. That said these are more "workarounds" than real solutions, I think the devs should just stop the fidgeting when characters are hovered or find some other satisfactory solution.

I think that just depends on what you're used to.

If you, for example, were already initiating attacks by clicking on the portraits instead of the unit's model, or used to right-clicking on the unit's model instead of left-clicking on it, and I said "Oh, you have the option of left-clicking on the unit's model.. try that", we'd probably have people saying that was also more of a "workaround" than a real solution (simply because they want to stick to what they're used to).

In reality there are several options available and it's just a matter of getting used to using all of them at the appropriate time. Anyone who is instead trying to get one tool to fit all occasions is just asking for frustration.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Targeting can be a little fiddly, but I am managing well enough using the target mode(left stick button).

My biggest problem, regarding targeting, is ranged attacks being blocked for no good reason. Aiming on any elevation is an issue. Why are arrows blocked by the ground when aiming downhill? About a third of the time the smallest bump or step will prevent ranged targeting. Really bothersome.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kmb08753
My biggest problem, regarding targeting, is ranged attacks being blocked for no good reason. Aiming on any elevation is an issue. Why are arrows blocked by the ground when aiming downhill? About a third of the time the smallest bump or step will prevent ranged targeting. Really bothersome.

For some reason, in D:OS:EE line of sight for ranged attacks is calculated from the character's knees. This is causing small deviations in terrain height to block ranged spells and weapons that travel down a projected path from the caster.

In the original D:OS this didn't seem to be an issue because ranged attacks were fired from the character's chest. I'm not sure if the behavior in D:OS:EE is a bug or if there's some reasoning behind this change.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Gyson

For some reason, in D:OS:EE line of sight for ranged attacks is calculated from the character's knees. This is causing small deviations in terrain height to block ranged spells and weapons that travel down a projected path from the caster.

In the original D:OS this didn't seem to be an issue because ranged attacks were fired from the character's chest. I'm not sure if the behavior in D:OS:EE is a bug or if there's some reasoning behind this change.

Thats good to know. Hopefully it wasnt intentional and will be changed.

ty for the info.

journeyman
journeyman
Another targeting problem is with grenades and bombs. Seems no matter which view you are in the grenade or bomb lands several meters to the right or the left (seems dependent on terrain) of where your indicator was. Very frustrating when lobbing a fire bomb at a group of skellies and it lands in the bushes next to them.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by rnarchlord
Another targeting problem is with grenades and bombs. Seems no matter which view you are in the grenade or bomb lands several meters to the right or the left (seems dependent on terrain) of where your indicator was. Very frustrating when lobbing a fire bomb at a group of skellies and it lands in the bushes next to them.

Unless you've got Pinpoint as a talent, this is working as intended. Throwing grenades is intended to lack in accuracy =)

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Gyson

As far as I remember things the current behaviour of D:OS:EE is only slightly worse than D:OS with regards to ranged attacks with most attacks targeted from the knees or below. There are some ranged spells/attacks I swear it aims out of the arse.

journeyman
journeyman
It would be nice if there was an online manual where all the new things were explained. The list of changes doesn't give enough info as to how things are affected by the changes e. g. magic wards purpose and effects.

veteran
veteran
Okay, I just experienced a pretty ridiculous targeting issue. With ~*Video Evidence*~

http://youtu.be/eplJNFfUNVI

I'm playing with mouse and keyboard, and I'm putting my mouse over the half-eaten zombie, but the thing apparently has an incredibly tiny hitbox. You can see clearly several times in the video where my cursor is on top of the zombie's model, but it isn't being targeted. Even switching to the overhead view doesn't help much.

Now okay, I've only really had problems with these zombie types, but if this kind of issue with the hitboxes not matching the models is more widespread than just that, no wonder people are having trouble targeting things.

This should probably be looked at.

Oh, and also Blitzbolt also seems to shoot from the knees and not the chest making targeting annoying.

EDIT: Argh, Fraps didn't capture the cursor. I'll have to re-record unless people are willing to take my word for it

Last edited by Stabbey; 09/11/15 03:27 PM. Reason: fraps
X
apprentice
apprentice
X
I know this isn't an ideal answer but did you try rotating your camera to be a bit more on level? A lot of targeting mechanics deal with how the scene is viewed in the cam - espeically when dealing with areas of multiple heights.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
This is becoming more of an issue for me. I'm getting a little tired of my bow user "Shooting the ground", like.. he is purposefully aiming "Down" rather then AT the target.

Seriously, make attacks originate from "Shoulder" height and aim at "head level".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard