Print Thread
#575808 19/11/15 01:52 PM
C
CK1 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Yeah, with everyone saying how "easy" this game is, I was pretty shocked myself.

I didn't really do hardcore min/maxing (no custom champs), no tome scumming either. I did use crafting though.

Problem was she could heal back to full health in one turn AND kill one of my guys. The mountain men would kill units, feeding her dark avenger (up to 4 before I died).

I probably should have just focused her down hard with crowd control, except she one shot my champs and had enough action points to take down 2 people in one round. Nevermind the fact that she had body building 5, so it wasn't terribly efficient with a 90% resist. I guess I should have spammed it anyway to try to one round her. I didn't think she'd charge all the way to kill my mage in the back but oh she did.

She did about 1.8K dmg per normal attack (dark avenger 4)... of which I resisted 700 of it. Reflect worked nicely on her but doesn't matter. She can pop a +1800 healing item for 2 action points, and she has like 20 action points.

I was tempted to use earthquake which probably would have won me the fight except with the ooze nearby and candles, I probably would have just committed suicide that way by setting my own troops on fire. In hindsight, maybe that still would have been better.

I'm definitely not too crazy about re-starting yet again. Seems like the best option is pin point offense which is sort of what I was doing, but I'm curious to try a tank build too.

veteran
veteran
R.I.P. ...
hail to the honorable heroes !
wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Your journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it: white shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise!

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
RIP in peace honorable Source hunters.

C
C
There's no tome-scumming, and crafting is the most effective way of building damage and physical resistance (and magical aswell but it's expensive and only worth it at some specific moments).

I did honor mode, and yeah she did oneshot one of my chars. A few bosses have a lot of initiative, and she's the most fearsome of them I think.
To deal with her potions, you can use the witch skill that changes healing into damage, but unfortunately I couldn't test it as I managed to stun her and oneshot her (after a rez).

I went the offensive route, but I added a few CONST from that point (Her, Dark knights and some other fights have opponents that hit like trucks) so I'm mostly sure I stay alive the first round.
I don't know what would be the point of a tank, because I had a look at the armor/resist stats and they don't really shine on a tank. The armor on leather and plate is oftentimes very similar (if not identical). But cloth is less good, so it's best to have STR boosting items on your mage so can wear plate (and 1H + shield as simple stat-item, not to strike with it).

The "tank" build for me is mostly for exploration (just wander carelessly with 100% resist fire and maybe poison if you pick zombie).

old hand
old hand
Could a rogue pickpocket her of her potions? She's not permanently hostile, right? That's probably one of the best uses of pickpocket, though you'll probably need pretty high pickpocket to get her.

C
CK1 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
I didn't try but I thought they let the tome vendor re-stock a tome every level now? (only after the recent hotfix and NOT at release) <shrugs>

I know crafting is nice, but I think I will try not to use it beyond a dedicated character for it. Mostly because the stat requirements tend to be really high for it, and I want to try a somewhat more versatile build this time around.

I'm pretty sure the witch curse will work, but you have to be somewhat close... 8 meters. I definitely underestimated her and it cost me dearly. I'm sure if I crowd controlled her, I could definitely get her. Madora took most of her life in one hit with a good crit. My main character did so little damage with the dual wield crafted axes though... sort of sad.

As for a tank build, there are a lot of reflect items and one reflect skill in man-at-arms. Unfortunately reflect only works on NET damage, not incoming damage so the more armor you have, the more of a favor you are doing for them. Unfortunately this is more of a passive build and in honor/tactician mode usually you want to be striking first, not the other way around. I might try it for fun in tactician mode but not honor. If you make the tank immune to elements, you can just drop all sorts of nasty effects and let everyone try to kill that tank and kill themselves on reflect. smile It might end up being more net dps. smile

D
stranger
stranger
D
seriously the game is so deep and the amount of possibilities is so vast that one might not understand how hard the game is just breezing through it with some OP setup. for example, i've climbed to lvl 18 with 6 skills on each of 4 characters just because i couldn't be arsed leveling different elements, lol. to understand how frustrated i was with the game at first you need to know i had 5 points in both single hand wielding and double hand wielding while using 2 daggers (lol again). game was still amazingly easy for me because of... lightning staff on my main mage (one with debuffs, forgot the class name) one i got at lvl 5 from that skeleton merchant. all i did entire game was: Jaan cast rain b4 fight, main mage hit puddle with normal attack, everyone stunned, rinse and repeat. how surprised i was when it occured to me i could actually use several skill brackets on each character. too bad it only hit me very late in the game, maybe it would've been more tough had i realised that sooner. same way worked with grutilda. lightning and water make miracles.

i wish this game had some sort of challenge mode or ng+ mode (made a post about it) with reallly tough fights. because ive only had ONE tough fight in the whole game which was lvl 16 troll camp while i was 13-14. it was the only time i've used bloodstone in the game.

ng+ plz :( witcher has it now.

ps if anyone wondering my setup was

mage with debuffs + flame
jaan with lightning and water
madora pure combat skills
rouge pure assassination skills

pps the worst part is i didnt even get to experience the beauty of the craft because i simply didnt need it. and i really dont feel like starting the game over again because there is no point :(

Last edited by dwqdwqdwqdwq; 19/11/15 11:43 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard