Print Thread
#581227 09/04/16 01:01 AM
S
SyZ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
So my guys just hit level 5 and I was super excited to learn a splintering arrow skill on my two archers as it does literally 3x the damage of ricochet, only to find out I can't upgrade my expert marksmen skill because it requires 2 points?

Just trying to figure out how this works ... so max level is 21, at which point the game is over. But if I have, say, a mage, then to get even one skill to level 5 would be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15 skill points? WTF? So how do I get a second skill raised? Or bodybuilding? Or any armor defenses? Or crafting? etc.

And two random side questions: why does it seem like the level 6 ogres are so much easier than level 3 zombies? Should I be using the 4 weapons the person outside of town sold that seem to be starter weapons and can get upgraded? I know how these starter weapon quests go in WoW and I don't want to miss out on a best in slot item by not using it ...

C
C
As you'll get more levels, you'll get more skill point per level (2 per level, then 3).

Zombies have huge resistances (they bleed poison AND heal from it, they have piercign resistance whichis good against marksmen and scoundrels).

If you find the starter weapons are better than your current weapons, use them, otherwise just stock them somewhere waiting for the upgrades. Be aware that even though you can wear weapons that are above your level, they incur AP penalties.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Look at this table

http://www.gamebanshee.com/divinityoriginalsin/experiencetable.php

You can also save points until the next level if you choose, for all levels after 1.

Last edited by mr_raider; 09/04/16 04:18 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by SyZ
And two random side questions: why does it seem like the level 6 ogres are so much easier than level 3 zombies? Should I be using the 4 weapons the person outside of town sold that seem to be starter weapons and can get upgraded?

For zombies, you should be using fire. That includes fire arrows, explosive arrows, fire grenades, flare spell, fireball spell, staff of magus fire attack from staff, fire from wands. Use Oil of Midnight geomancer spell to create oily surfaces you can then light on fire.

If you get zombies burning, they have no chance.

S
SyZ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
So I'm now in Silverglen, and I'm seeing Master skills, but I can apparently only learn 1 at level 4, and 2 at level 5? I can't just learn all spells once I'm a certain level? That kind of sucks, it means I'll probably just have to take a master damage skill and won't have any utility, and it also means I've already capped out my mage damage at level 10 because my Int is 15 and I have no other way to increase it? Whereas my ranger and warrior will continue to get stronger with gear. Is there a reason to continue leveling up magic or should I just start putting stuff into Bodybuilding and Willpower?

F
stranger
stranger
F
No, you can't just learn all spells once you're a certain level.

Some Master skills require level 12, some level 15.

You can increase your Int by making staves using Crafting 5 that have +2 Int. I don't know about wands, I don't use them.

I have heard that you will really need Willpower and Bodybuilding mid to end game. I haven't had much need for them so far (level 13), but I've made sure to put some points into them on all 4 characters.

Another way to boost damage is by increasing Leadership on a character. One of my mains has Leadership 5 with +10% damage boost for the other 3 characters. The other main has Leadership 4 which gives the other main +10% damage.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by SyZ
So I'm now in Silverglen, and I'm seeing Master skills, but I can apparently only learn 1 at level 4, and 2 at level 5? I can't just learn all spells once I'm a certain level? That kind of sucks, it means I'll probably just have to take a master damage skill and won't have any utility, and it also means I've already capped out my mage damage at level 10 because my Int is 15 and I have no other way to increase it? Whereas my ranger and warrior will continue to get stronger with gear. Is there a reason to continue leveling up magic or should I just start putting stuff into Bodybuilding and Willpower?

The way to improve your mages output is not to push magic skills to 5, but to push all 5 to 4. That way you get 5 master spells you can rotate in combat since the big damage spells can only be used once per encounter.

S
SyZ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I think I'm still missing something

I'm level 13 now, and doing the Mines

Jahan has basically been 100% useless in terms of damage all game. His water and air skills both are horrendous compared to the main characters fire and poison. Like, I basically use him to staff for 3 ap, heal, sometimes use a stun air spell which misses most of the time or hits a wall or is just generally bad

The main character, I have so many good damage spells I can't use them every fight. The master poison spell that shoots 5 streams is absurd. I just blew up 7 goblins at once with it on a sneak attack. I don't even have meteor shower yet and the other master fire spell looks amazing. Why shouldn't I just take poison and fire to 5 and use 2 master spells, giving me 4 super useful master spells? I also don't know about the hidden secret skillbooks - whether or not there is an even BETTER fire / poison spell out there

It's more annoying because Jahan got pumped nothing but Int and air/water levels and gets 4 Leadership, whereas the main character only gets 2 Leadership from my second main

Madora is awesome, when she gets to go. Despite 5 armor spec and some speed items with initiative, she still always goes last and has the lowest actual AP out of everyone. And her skills aren't that amazing. But there's no reason to use her as a tank when I have summons

Second main character is a ranger and she's somewhat useful, but nothing compares to the fire/poison main. Wouldn't be surprised if every fight he's pushing 50-60% of my total damage

M
stranger
stranger
M
Hail storm is killer. If you want to leave a Aero and witch at 3 that's fine. But there are many fire immune enemies. I would bring hydro to 4 at least.

Last edited by mr_raider; 15/04/16 03:46 AM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Why didn't you give Fire to Jahan? You're right, Fire is great. I knew I'd be fighting a lot of undead, at least in the beginning of the game, so both my mages got Fire. Jahan and one of my mains do great damage. However, the most powerful character is the other main ... Expert Marksman. Special arrows, grenades, skills, so many weapons.

As mr_raider said, the master level water skill is supposed to be pretty good ... Hail Storm. Both my mages will get it at level 15. After that, I'll get them up to 4 in Fire, so they also have Meteor Storm.

The tactician guide on Steam leans toward Hydro over Fire for number of useful skills, but to be honest, I use Fire more. Of course, I'm going through Hiberheim at the moment.

S
SyZ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I didn't want to read any guides early, and when I saw the main character had fire, and Jahan had water and air, I naturally assumed the main should also take up poison and I'd split them

I guess I'll just get both to level 4 in water, fire, and poison, and see what I'm left with

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard