Next Thread
Print Thread
X
Xen Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
I know you've said you'll eventually port D:OS2 to Linux/steamOS, and I believe you will thanks to D:OS enhanced edition (which I love btw). Just wanted to remind you there are people on Linux/steamOS who want a GM mode capable awesome RPG based game like D:OS/2.

In the mean time, if you can confirm it'll run under wine, I'll contemplate running it thus ... even though it'll seriously impact performance running through wine. However, September 15 will probably be just another day for us Linux/steamOS users, rather than an exciting D:OS2 early access day frown Luckily I'm a patient man smile Then again, GM mode won't be available for awhile anyway I gather (I agree it is better to remove any major bugs first).

veteran
veteran
I'm sure that Larian does indeed want to port to Mac and Linux. But after the debacle last time, it's clear why they didn't want to make any promises too early.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I would not have high hopes of DOS2 working under wine. If I recall correctly, DOS1 EE was DirectX 11 only, so I assume DOS2 is too. And DX10/DX11 support in wine is still work in progress.

I'll definitely give it a try once it comes to GOG, but I too was betting on a Linux port when joining in the Kickstarter. Hope I'll win ;-). Otherwise, I can at least drown my sorrow in style with the dwarven ale mug.

V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm sure that Larian does indeed want to port to Mac and Linux. But after the debacle last time, it's clear why they didn't want to make any promises too early.

What debacle? To be honest I'm not so worried about it coming late, as long as it comes.

Support
Support

It was delayed due to middleware issues (things assumed to exist that didn't or were separate from the OSX licenses, and having to do more work than anticipated writing replacements), then delayed again due to the Enhanced Edition (by the time the engine was ported it was quite out of date, and updating it for both the original and Enhanced Edition wasn't feasible), and both the OSX and Linux versions of the EE were released after the console and Windows version (things just took longer than anticipated, and for a while it was uncertain if the Windows version would be ready for the already set console release [due to manufacturing requirements and the retail release]).

V
stranger
stranger
V
Complicated Science! xD

Well, I'm honest, I do have to boot on windows often, because as a modder, sometimes I have no other choice, its something I've resigned myself to. But having a Mac version is ofc more convenient to me, since all my "personal" data and most apps are on OSX, and I just use windows specifically to mod. I don't feel compelled to go on BootCamp just to play a game, I rather do it on my "natural environment".

I'm really hoping you guys make it happen though. I have a lot of trust in you guys and Larian Studios is easily one of my favourite gaming companies right now, also because you took the effort to release D:OS for Mac! And I would be lying if I would say that I was not disappointed when EE was released only for Windows, but in the end, you eventually released it for Mac, so I was super happy with it! =)

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm sure that Larian does indeed want to port to Mac and Linux.

To me it sounded much more open-ended at the kickstarter. But after programming all that middleware it would be a waste to not use it, so maybe your interpretation is correct.

And the absence of hysteric posts here after the announcement of the win-only alpha shows that not promising anything that is delayed is probably a sensible choice ;-)

D
stranger
stranger
D
Hello guys,

I'm sorry to dig that subject up but I thought that DOS 2 was supposed to be on MAC also as was the first one was. I really loved playing it and specially the multiplayer that's why I instantly back up DOS 2 (Divine Hoodie Redux II) when i saw the announcement.
I know that you guys have a lot of work to do to make such a good game and since the release is near, can mac users hope for soon/not so soon announcement for Mac OS ?

I have to be honest that i don't know how i will be able to play this game besides buying a new computer , and i m afraid i can't afford it right know.

Have fun and keep up the good work,

Iori

journeyman
journeyman
It was always stated by Larian that the release of DOS 2 will be Windows only. They want to concentrate on finishing and polishing the game as much as possible, a port to another plattform decreases the resources for that.
But if the game sells well, there is a very high chance that the game is ported to other plattforms.

[Insert something funny here]
D
stranger
stranger
D
Ok then... thanks for the response.

stranger
stranger
Kickstarter supporter here. Also hoping for a native Linux game. I'm currently downloading the Windows version on GOG, since someone posted video of it being playable on Linux with WINE, but native is always best. (Honestly, using Vulkan API is really the only good video choice for game development, since it covers all kinds of operating systems.) I haven't used Windows at home in many years, and I've stopped crowdfunding Windows games too. I've started requiring at least a promise of a native port at some point. I trust that you'll get around to it eventually. smile

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
+1 for Linux. I might even be ok with digital if there was a Linux port.

stranger
stranger
I'd love a native version, but it's currently very close to working perfectly on Wine. I'm using Wine 2.17 on Arch and it's running pretty smoothly and even though it's a DX11 game the graphics look fine, with the texture problems that were evident on 2.16 seemingly fixed. The only problem I've uncovered is that books are blank with no text visible. I'm holding off playing the game fully until this is fixed as I don't know if I'm missing essential information.

S
stranger
stranger
S
[quote=Bumvelcrowe]I'd love a native version, but it's currently very close to working perfectly on Wine. I'm using Wine 2.17 on Arch and it's running pretty smoothly and even though it's a DX11 game the graphics look fine, with the texture problems that were evident on 2.16 seemingly fixed. The only problem I've uncovered is that books are blank with no text visible. I'm holding off playing the game fully until this is fixed as I don't know if I'm missing essential information. [/quote]

Are you doing anything special/fancy to get it to run?
While I could get the early access version to run quite nicely, the GOG release version fails to load anything but the cursor.
Just hangs and complains in console about what looks like DX11 stuff.
Tried 2.16-staging and 2.17, on Arch.

Last edited by slightlyrandom; 16/09/17 04:02 PM.
stranger
stranger
Larian won't say anything this time. Many games have internal Linux versions, which unfortunately are never released, because the fine-tuning is too expensive.

It's a pity that Apple now uses its own interface (Metal) and only offers an outdated OpenGL version. Since Larian had problems with the middleware, this might not be the problem for them.

Personally, I didn't notice all the trouble around the Linux port. I only became aware of Divinity Original Sin last year. The game runs very smoothly under Linux. There are minor bugs in coop mode. The same as under Windows with the same workarounds.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard