Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm pretty early on, I have not even reached level 3 yet. I have explored most places I can reach without teleport, and I found a way into the prison, and I found the arena.

I rolled up a Dwarf Rogue using the default settings.

• The Vitality ability gives you 5
  • The "Craftsmanship" category of abilities only contains Loremaster and Telekinesis, and no actual Craftsmanship abilities. I suggest renaming it to "Arcane".
  • You currently get 3 Combat / 1 Civil ability points at character creation. I think this should be increased to 3 Combat / 2 Civil points.
  • Right now the Defensive abilities - and ONLY the defensive abilities give diminishing returns with further points. Physical / Magical armor gives you +7 the first point, then +2 on subsequent points. Vitality gives a pathetically inadequate +4% HP the first point, then +1 on subsequent health. That's never going to be useful for anyone. No, not even in the case of "one time I survived an attack with 4 HP left and I would have died if not for Vitality 1!"
  • The reason why I'm still level 2 is because I am having a difficult time finding enough experience to reach level 3. DOS 1 had this exact same problem too. I've talked to a lot of people in the camp, I found a couple secret caves, I found the arena, I found the jail, and I've done several quests. It's seeming like I apparently will need to talk to EVERYONE just to scrape my way to reach level 3. No idea where I'll find the XP to reach level 4.
  • I see a bunch of chests which I can't see any way to reach without Teleport. Maybe I'm missing something, because this is seeming like Teleport is a MUST HAVE skill. I'm not kidding, because I really don't have very much gold and there doesn't seem to be a way to earn any.
  • I agree with Pyrofox's suggestion to make the Dwarven "Sturdy" racial bonus be +2 CON instead of +2 Strength. At the very least, something should probably be tweaked there, as +2 Strength (good for Warriors) and +1 Sneaking (good for Rogues) do not synergize well together.

New Talent Suggestions:

Some of these are shamelessly stolen from SyNali

Berserker - As your health decreases, your damage increases.

Basically, your damage increases the closer you are to death. This idea is stolen from the Kickstarter campaign's "Juggernaut" skill set idea.

It could work something like this:

0-10% = 2.00x damage. 11-15% = 1.75x damage. 16-20% = 1.50x damage, 21-25% = 1.25x damage, 26%+ = 1.00 damage. Basically, if you’re under 25% health, the more dead you are, the more damage you can deal. This has its own inherent risk-reward because of course you’re almost dead. This should affect all damage types, including magic (initial hits, not DoT) not just melee.

Counter Strike - Dodging an enemy melee attack gives you a 25% chance to automatically retaliate with a normal attack.

This only works if you have a melee weapon equipped of course. This could be “fun” to give to some enemies as well! The counter can be blocked or dodged.

Shield Bash – Blocking an enemy melee attack gives you a 25% chance to automatically retaliate with a bash.

This deals 25-50% of your weapon damage as crushing damage. The bash can be blocked or dodged.

I'll have more feedback later.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I found the prison arena, and choose to fight as a 4-person team. On my third attempt, I beat the fight without anyone dying. I went back to the surface and went to see a woman to get my reward:

Having my Source Collar removed!

However, despite the fact that I fought in a team, and couldn't have done that fight alone, only my created character was considered special. No one else was worthy of getting the reward. That does not seem to make much sense.

Also, I'm not going to claim that reward yet, because the instant I'm spotted by one of the many, many guards, I get thrown into a jail cell with no way out. Yay. I would RATHER have the reward instead be that she just breaks the lock so that you CAN take the collar off at will, but you KEEP the collar, so you can continue to walk freely if you equip it. Just remove the "Unequippable"
tag from the collar.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
  • About Sneaking... I know that whenever [i]I'm[i] trying to sneak, by best disguise is a 6-foot tall light-emitting rock.
  • I convinced Stingtail to hand over the drugs in exchange for his life/not telling Griff. I stuck to that, but Griff insisted, which started a fight. After it was over, I was able to take the drugs back from Griff's body. However, upon returning to Stingtail, I had no option to say "you can have these back now". I think that should be added.
  • It is RIDICULOUSLY hard to get money. Most of the weapons and armor I found lying around sells for 1-2 gold, never close to even 10 gold. I'm sure that Larian people play with "Give me lots of gold cheats" for testing, but that doesn't help us.
  • I found a "Light Gold Cup" which says "Useless, but pretty. Sell it." Too bad it is also only worth 1 gold.
  • Worse still, the people who sell skills in Fort Joy tend to die, like the air-skill seller and the Rogue skill seller. Not that I could afford to buy skills from them in the first place.
  • The Charged Frogs encounter is bull****. Total bull****. The only bright side is that you can sneak into the area and get everything worth getting.
  • When leaving the Saheila caverns, the fastest way is to click on the entrance, and the party autopathing climbs onto the ladder and platform because they can hit the door from there. Sometimes that leaves one person stuck in the caves though for some reason.
  • Once you leave Fort Joy, if you return, all guards attack you on sight EVEN IF NO ONE NOTICED YOU LEAVE. That doesn't make sense. The first time I went out through Flenserville. All that's down there is one guy, some monsters and some Purged. No one is there to notice anyone leaving. I tried again over the COMPLETELY UNGUARDED drawbridge. The patrolling guard gave no sign of notice for the brief period the drawbridge is down, and then the person I left behind raised it again. We still all got caught and attacked inside the prison walls. The guards just became psychic for no good reason.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
At (31, 318), there is a free Ancient Sword and a sack of gold. It is very well hidden, requiring you to have two party members capable of casting teleport. The problem is that the sword is statted for a "Level 2" character and the gold is also a worthless amount.

The only possible way to get up there at level 2 is if one of your characters starts out with the Teleport skill and you make your way into the Magister's quarters to get the free skillbook. But even then, the secret is pretty hidden and that's a very specific way to proceed just for a level 2 sword and 13 gold. There is virtually no way to get there without being level 3 and having killed the crocodiles, at which point you clearly don't need the sword.

The reward for getting there is totally inadequate for the effort and level needed to reach it.That sword MUST be changed to be at least level 3, probably level 4. Maybe it should also be a magical unique too, since I wasn't able to find any magical non-dagger one-handed weapons. And while you're at it, change the gold amount from whatever stupid tiny amount that is to at least 100 gold. That would make it worthwhile.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
  • That guy Gwain who wants you to teleport him elsewhere. I brought Lhose with me, and she also knew Teleport. So as soon as I teleported Gwain across, she teleported me across. However, when talking to Gwain, he did not acknowledge my unexpected appearance there. His dialogue remained "Please teleport me across the way."
  • After escaping Fort Joy through the Flenserville exit, I got the "Smelly" status upon exit. It said that it had a "3 turn duration", but apparently not because some other people later on commented on how we smelled terrible.
  • There seems to be an unopenable chest in the water at about (391, 10).
  • The Lizard's "Fire Breath" skill seems pretty worthless after level 1. It does so little damage compared to enemy HP that all it's good for is lighting flammable surfaces on fire, but you can do that with so many other things that it's pointless.
  • Bedrolls need a "use" option in the menu. It's not intuitive that you need to double-click to use it, as nothing else works like that.
  • When an elf eats a body part, the message pops up over the elf's head, but the inventory screen is still there, blocking your view. You can miss the message if you don't close the screen quickly enough.
  • The fact that the inventory blocks the entire screen is kinda annoying, as is that you need to close two windows to get rid of it.
  • Just a comment: Are ship captains in the Divinity universe completely braindead? There are dozens and dozens of ships crashed on the shore. You can't walk 20 feet without meeting another wreck. At a certain point it stops being a sign that this is island is difficult to make a landing on and starts becoming comically absurd.
  • Just a comment: Instead of +1 Leadership, +1 Sneaking, or +1 Persuasion, Elves get Corpse Eater, which can give them free skills. That is quite a lot more powerful than the other Racial Talents.
  • The battle against the waves of voidlings which keep spawning in as you cut them down is awesome. It really is. It's a fantastic tension builder and That really raises the stakes and sets the mood for making you wonder what troubles will lie ahead.
  • The displayed radius for AoE skills is incorrect and needs some fixing. I try to carefully place the radius so my party members are 2 meters or so outside of it, only for them to get hit anyway. It's one thing to get a person killed through my own carelessness, it's different when they get killed because I have wrong information.
  • This might be intentional, but I got Hallorn's broken rapier as a dagger in the Seeker camp. Unfortunately, it's underlevelled for the area and it's even not great in comparison to the other unique daggers I got from killing the mayor of Flenserville.
  • Guerrilla seems to be only useful when dual-wielding.
  • Persuasion adds +4 to your chances to succeed per point. ... is that a lot? I have no frame of reference for how much that means.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Stabbey
  • When an elf eats a body part, the message pops up over the elf's head, but the inventory screen is still there, blocking your view. You can miss the message if you don't close the screen quickly enough.
  • The fact that the inventory blocks the entire screen is kinda annoying, as is that you need to close two windows to get rid of it.

THAT ! Save the memory in the journal please .

veteran
veteran
Simple solution: put the meat in Sebille's hotbar. No inventory will block your sight then. wink

WOOS
Originally Posted by jilbi
Originally Posted by Stabbey

THAT ! Save the memory in the journal please .

This sounds like a good idea

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
  • I posted a thread elsewhere, but The Magister's fort is cartoonishly evil. They apparently have no room for a barracks, mess, kitchen, or supply room for their troops, but they have a GIGANTIC torture room.
  • Walk in Shadows seems to be identical to the level 1 skill from D:OS 1, except that it now takes 3 Memory and a Source point. It still breaks after attacking, using an ability, and walking on a surface.

Back in D:OS 1 it wasn't all that powerful, and now it is sure as hell not powerful enough to be worth a Source point. Now walking on surfaces should break invisibility, as should getting hit by AoE damage spells, but at the very least, you should be allowed to backstab without breaking invisibility for the cost of a Source point.
  • "Painting of a Knight" has a "?" icon in the inventory.
  • Why do I need "Thievery 2" to steal from Silent Monks who don't even acknowledge your existence until you hit them in the face with a spell?
  • Should Silent Monks give you 600 XP each? You have to attack them first, getting a free first strike, they have no armor (or resistance to CC), and only one engages you at a time even if others are in the area. I mean, I like getting XP, but these guys aren't especially dangerous when you're going 4-on-1 and getting the first shot in.
  • "Magical Poison Dart" looks to be pretty close in power to "Acid Spores" despite how much steeper the requirements for Acid Spores are. Is it that the damage for Acid Spores is several hits which each do the listed damage?
  • There seems to be only one Level 5 combat encounter. The rest are level 6+, and I don't know if there are any more quests around - as far as I can tell there aren't.
  • The Telekinesis ability should grant you the skill "Mage Hand", which lets you interact with objects at the range of your Telekinesis. I don't mean it should be great for combat. Specifically, if I have "Telekinesis" and I see a bunch of dead bodies in cursed blood around a lever, that's the kind of thing I would have to be an idiot to walk up and touch. I'd rather be a slightly smarter idiot, and touch it from across the room.
  • Please give us back an empty potion bottles after we consume a potion. Even if it means giving us some busywork by making it an "Dirty potion bottle" we need to clean with water.
  • I explored near the Gargoyle maze and discovered a cave and an NPC there. Radeka. I had the option to tell her "I'm here for Slane and won't leave without a way to help him." The problem was that was literally the first time I had heard of Slane, and had never met anyone of that name. A flag is being improperly set (or not set at all).
  • After Gareth is saved at the Armory, you can't tell the Seeker watching nearby that he is saved. She just ignores you to continue watching.
  • I was able to use Netherswap to swap a party member with Birdie, thus leaving the party member's body sticking half out of an iron cage. They were able to just walk out, but still.
  • There are not enough talents for mages. We need more Talents, please.

S
S
Thanks for taking the time to write this. I'd like to add:

In co-op, oftentimes my partner will make a movement which is sound but their character will move past that point and take a few steps back, often triggering AoA;s for no reason and sometimes worse.
Just a simple bug to add to a good feedback thread.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Lol, no you do not need to have two characters with teleport. Just use the gloves with one char, then send them to another one.

Honestly I'm starting to understand how you fail so miserably att getting any gold. You really need to learn a bit more creative thinking if you are going to get the most out of a game like this.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Sure there are "creative" ways to solve some of these problems. But creative seems to mean exploit. Like teleporting and giving the gloves to an ally that is 20 meters away so that they can then teleport you is both super tedious, and also makes no sense as far as immersion is concerned. To make us rely on that kind of stuff is poor design.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Skallewag
Lol, no you do not need to have two characters with teleport. Just use the gloves with one char, then send them to another one.

Honestly I'm starting to understand how you fail so miserably att getting any gold. You really need to learn a bit more creative thinking if you are going to get the most out of a game like this.

Whether or not you can get to that spot by passing gloves back and forth still misses the point. Getting the gloves require you to beat the crocodiles, a level 3 encounter, and if you can do that, getting a level TWO sword is not a good reward. Dumbass.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Some story/lore things have confused me.

• I thought this game took place 4 years after Beyond Divinity. But the paintings of Bishop Alexandar put him in his 60's, which makes him older than his "father".
  • In a conversation with the Timery, the introspective magister guarding the gate to the keep, Sebille can finish a thought which started out [The Divine is dead] with "That's a first in all Rivellon's history.". Bwuh? In Divine Divinity, Zixzax said (upon talking with him in the Council Chambers) that there hadn't been a Divine in about 1000 years. And that guy really should know what he's talking about.
  • Bahara, the lizard disciple of Amadia who lets you into the Seekers lair is a Diciple of Amadia. If you have the [Scholar] tag, you can mention that you've only heard a few snippets about Amadia in a very old, obscure tome. Bahara says that the world has mostly forgotten her... This seems odd because the Seven Gods are known and worshipped, and Amadia is one of them. (Divine Divinity book: A Brief History of the Seven Gods").
  • Bahara also mentions that she's a Sourcerer who escaped from Fort Joy, and she's been here for years. Fort Joy looks way too ramshackle an operation to have been running for years. YEARS? You'd think that the guards would have tried cleaning up the place a bit and making it a better operation. The only docks around are crumbling ruins and some are clogged with broken ships. The Jail has debris in the hallways and one cell is completely unusable. Another has a huge obvious tunnel leading into a cave which goes back to the beach.
  • What is that huge drawbridge for leading out of Fort Joy when the path to the east-end docks is a mess infested with undead and burning pigs? That route doesn't look like it's been used for years.

There are no waypoints on the eastern half of the island. The closest ones are at the Seeker's shelter and the one just outside of the main gate to Fort Joy. Those are a long way from the east side of the island.

A spot on the cliffs at 616,243 looks like a good spot for a statue replacing the finger of rock).

One at the armory at 466,225 wouldn't hurt either.

Those would be nice to cut down on a lot of walking back and forth.

Last edited by Stabbey; 22/09/16 04:29 PM. Reason: waypoints
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It doesn't really feel right with me that to become "The One", you only have to beat one fight. Oh right, it's because of Multiplayer.

Well, if it wasn't for multiplayer I would make auggestion: To become the Arena champion, there should be two fights - a solo fight and the team fight. Beat both and you're The One. The experience could be split in half between the fights if absolutely necessary (I think full XP for both fights could be fine though).

I cleared the way for the Seekers to escape, and then they took the boat without even a "Hey, want to come with us?"

"No thanks, I'll just go fight the most powerful warrior on the island all on my own."

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I have now finished the final battle.

A few issues with Magister Ames, the Magister who magically appears on top of a rock pillar once you tell the Seekers you have a purging wand.

1. He magically appears on top of the rock pillar. If you have someone there, he appears there anyway, along with the instant fields of traps. Whoops, this is what happens when you let the party split up and be in different places, and then take shortcuts with scripts which you can only get away with in games that don't allow such freedom.
2. You can place a character at a spot so that Ames appears partly inside that other characters body. That makes Ames bug out, you can't interact with him or talk with him.
3. Ames's faction is not handled properly.
3a. When 2 happened, I had to force-attack him and killed him. That made Ymmit see the body 50 meters above him on the pillar and question the murderer about the body.
3b. Alternatively, I talked to Ames and decided to let him go. He refused, so I had to fight and kill him. But after he was dead, the Seekers and Ymmit also tried to fight us.
3c. Ames is a MAGISTER, Ymmit and the Seekers should jump for joy when a magister dies. They should never attack the players for killing a magister, even if it is cold-blooded murder (at least as long as no seeker is harmed in the process).

Ymmit has no reaction or dialogue if the crucified people becoming Shriekers are killed. He doesn't notice, and if you talk with him using a different character after they're dead, the dialogue still things the crucified people are alive.

What's with all the fucking ungrateful people around here?
  • Use magic to heal the guy in the doctor's tent and not only does he get mad at you for saving him, the shithead tries to kill you. Fuck you! Worse still, the doctor decides to help him kill you even though she knows he's a moron. That guy should lose disposition with us sure, but not start a fight. And the doctor should NOT go hostile to us unless we attack.
  • Use Blessed to cure Mona's disease and she attacks you, forcing you to kill her. Too bad she never mentions in her dialogue that she doesn't WANT a cure.
  • Spare the blinded moron magister and he tries to kill you anyway.
  • Spare Magister Ames, alone and outnumbered and he tries to kill you anyway.

- Necromancy's 1% heal per level seems weak, but then again, I still recall Diablo 2 where 7$ Life Leech was considered pretty good, so maybe making it 10% for the first level plus 1% each subsequent level might be too strong. But then again, completely different mechanics, and only up to 6 attacks a round.

- You should be able to examine locked items to see if it's possible to pick them with your current Thievery level.

- Resurrection scrolls seem to suck. There doesn't seem to be much point in using them if any ranged enemies can AND WILL immediately one-shot them before someone gets a turn. Maybe I just need to get better at using them.

- It's also difficult to find people who sell Rez scrolls. On my attempt to face-tank the final fight, I won with 3 people dead. I had long since run out of resurrection scrolls, and most of the merchants in the east side of the island had left. The rest didn't have any at all. I was only able to find two people in the prison selling them.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard