Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
Originally Posted by Beyond

I mostly agree, but I have to say, the only one that really irks me is the default pose for the human female inquisitor.


I was called out for this! But yeah Female Inquisitor pose is just downright absurd. The others were not near as bad. the Wayfarer for instance looked great.

Also I played Divinity 2 the armour in that for female was amazing as was the armour for females in Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. So this is not their usual stuff this is new.

Last edited by vometia; 18/09/16 06:40 AM. Reason: formatting
Joined: Oct 2015
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2015
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
Also if the same thing happened in real life you'd better not say anything or you'd be slut shaming.

Ugh.

It really seems you want to make this about sexism, and you want to make it as clear as possible that you're on the wrong side of that war.

The characters have every right to be sexy. People have every right to be sexy. If there's a female character in the game with her boobs out, then great for her. Morrigan in Dragon Age dresses sexier than anything in D:OS2, but she isn't pretending to wear armour. I don't remember much of any controversy about her outfit?

Armour shouldn't be sexy -- it should be functional.

Joined: Jun 2014
Location: UK
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Originally Posted by Beyond
Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit
Last time I checked this was a fantasy RPG. What a stupid complaint to make about the pose of a female when there are things like magic and mechanical golems.

So because it's fantasy it's fine? is that what you're going with?
That's exactly what I'm going with. Fantasy means - not real - meaning, the developers can do whatever they want, no matter how absurd. Having said that, that doesn't mean they can introduce literally anything because this is a Divinity game so there is already a universe with lore and law.

But then complaining about the pose a character can do is.... hypocritical at best. So many superheroes (especially in popular comics) are posed the same way and nobody demands a change for that.

Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
Plump, in actual fact people, do complain about those poses and call them Cheesecake poses. So your argument is moot. Again female inquisitor is the worse one, the others are not near as bad.

Joined: Jun 2014
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Jun 2014
Originally Posted by Ayvah
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
Also if the same thing happened in real life you'd better not say anything or you'd be slut shaming.

Ugh.

It really seems you want to make this about sexism, and you want to make it as clear as possible that you're on the wrong side of that war.

The characters have every right to be sexy. People have every right to be sexy. If there's a female character in the game with her boobs out, then great for her. Morrigan in Dragon Age dresses sexier than anything in D:OS2, but she isn't pretending to wear armour. I don't remember much of any controversy about her outfit?

Armour shouldn't be sexy -- it should be functional.

Armor's been sexy in fantasy settings (and others) for ages, who are you to change that?

Joined: Sep 2016
B
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
B
Joined: Sep 2016
Originally Posted by Ayvah

Morrigan in Dragon Age dresses sexier than anything in D:OS2, but she isn't pretending to wear armour. I don't remember much of any controversy about her outfit?


Trust me. There was.

Joined: Oct 2015
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2015
The chainmail bikini is not inherently sexist. One of the examples of this is Conan the Barbarian, who runs around in leather underpants. His character is a bit campy though, and doesn't represent the fantasy genre overall.

Overall, the fantasy genre has serious issues of sexism. You would often see a man in realistic armour alongside a woman in a chainmail bikini. The first D:OS made this exact mistake.

[Linked Image]

So yes. Historically the chainmail bikini was introduced to the fantasy genre in a highly sexist way.

----

Feel free to give elves a racial talent "unable to wear heavy armour". Maybe they have to instead use some kind of special elven magic in order to protect themselves while wandering around half-naked. Feel free to find a way to justify their penchant for skimpy outfits.

But when The Red Prince wears scale mail, he looks like he's taking armour seriously. He looks not far different from the illustration in the header image of this website. Take the same armour, put it on Sebille, and she essentially gets a couple of pauldrons and super-skimpy boob covering. It's absurd.


Joined: Jun 2014
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Jun 2014
"Overall, the fantasy genre has serious issues of sexism"
"Historically the chainmail bikini was introduced to the fantasy genre in a highly sexist way."
"It really seems you want to make this about sexism"

How ironic.

Joined: Oct 2015
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2015
Originally Posted by Bhazor
Originally Posted by Ayvah

Morrigan in Dragon Age dresses sexier than anything in D:OS2, but she isn't pretending to wear armour. I don't remember much of any controversy about her outfit?


Trust me. There was.

I performed a google search for "Dragon Age Origins Morrigan Sexist" and browsed through a few pages and found no results where people were terribly worried about her outfit. (The prevailing topic is Morrigan's pregnancy arc, followed by discussions of the misogyny inherent in the medieval setting.)

Compare this to, say, "spiderwoman sexist" or "divinity original sin sexist". If you have any better links, I'd be interested.

Joined: Oct 2015
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2015
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
"Overall, the fantasy genre has serious issues of sexism"
"Historically the chainmail bikini was introduced to the fantasy genre in a highly sexist way."
"It really seems you want to make this about sexism"

How ironic.

How so? Historically, the chainmail bikini has been used in an extremely sexist manner, and this includes D:OS. Your desire to keep the chainmail bikini just because it's traditionally part of the fantasy genre is indirectly sexist.

However, no one's directly accused Larian of using the chainmail bikini in a sexist way in D:OS2.

I've simply accused them of using a crap trope.

Joined: Jun 2014
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Jun 2014
Remember, everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic and if you don't agree- "you're on the wrong side of that war."

Joined: Sep 2016
B
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
B
Joined: Sep 2016
Originally Posted by Ayvah

How so? Historically, the chainmail bikini has been used in an extremely sexist manner, and this includes D:OS. Your desire to keep the chainmail bikini just because it's traditionally part of the fantasy genre is indirectly sexist.

However, no one's directly accused Larian of using the chainmail bikini in a sexist way in D:OS2.


"Hey I'm not saying they're sexist for using chainmail bikinis. Where did I ever say they were sexist for using chainmail bikinis? I'm just saying that they're sexist for using chainmail bikinis."

Last edited by Bhazor; 17/09/16 11:53 PM.
Joined: Apr 2013
Y
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Y
Joined: Apr 2013
Ah yes, the "I am offended by this so change it" SJW group. If your offended by it then you probably should not be playing this...or anything honestly, since everything will be offensive. I remember the original DOS cover controversy and the perpetually offended harassed larian to change it. I also remember reading how upset the artist who created it was since they put their heart into it. Play something by EA if you want something that tries to please the identity politics group. Larian has a clear asthetic they want and I personally think its a nice change from so many games trying to make everyone and everything asexual.

Last edited by Yegodz; 17/09/16 11:57 PM.
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
Sad thing is people are not willing to have a mature conversation about this. Instead, they keep screaming SJW or Feminist nonsense. I love Larian games, I love their worlds and humour, I praised their armour in Divinity 2. It's why it's disappointing they are going away from that...

Joined: Oct 2015
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2015
I don't know why this is so confusing for you guys.

The chainmail bikini is a trope that is often used in a sexist manner. Browse the trope page, and you'll find that the vast majority of the examples are women. But the trope can apply to men too. The trope is not inherently sexist, but it is often used in a sexist way, as it was in the original artwork for D:OS.

If Larian were using the trope in D:OS2 in a sexist way, then I would definitely be protesting it much more aggressively.

But they're not (as far as I can tell).

What I do notice, however, is that when you put armour on a human, lizard or dwarf, it looks like armour. When you put the same armour on an elf, it transforms into an immersion-breaking chainmail bikini.

It feels ugly and I don't like it.

Joined: Apr 2013
Y
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Y
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by Tiaan
Sad thing is people are not willing to have a mature conversation about this. Instead, they keep screaming SJW or Feminist nonsense. I love Larian games, I love their worlds and humour, I praised their armour in Divinity 2. It's why it's disappointing they are going away from that...


Nice try to brush aside calling a spade a spade. But the moment this was said

Quote
Overall, the fantasy genre has serious issues of sexism...


It is clear that this is nothing more than attempt to shove identity politics into gaming. This comes directly from the identity politics playbook.

Joined: Jul 2014
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Ayvah
What I do notice, however, is that when you put armour on a human, lizard or dwarf, it looks like armour. When you put the same armour on an elf, it transforms into an immersion-breaking chainmail bikini.

It's feels ugly and I don't like it.


Haha, I love the elf aesthetic. I mean, if they wanted to add MORE wood stuff to it, I certainly wouldn't complain. But I think the look is great.

Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
T
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
T
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Scotland
I am not shoving issue aside I am completely against SJW nonsense which you don't seem to realize. But I am calling a spade a spade and the Fem Inquisitor Pose would hurt to hold for a long time. It's immersion breaking whether you think otherwise. It's the only Pose I actually paused at. I have said Divinity 2 had great armour for females and overall armour for me is Grand. Elves armour is unique I can accept this. The Inquisitor pose is just pointless and makes no sense for what the character is... Now maybe if they were a Bard with skill of seduction that would make a great deal more sense.

Joined: Oct 2015
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Oct 2015
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish
Haha, I love the elf aesthetic. I mean, if they wanted to add MORE wood stuff to it, I certainly wouldn't complain. But I think the look is great.

It's not that I dislike the designs of the armour as such (although the elf underwear is pretty silly).

It's just the jarring contrast. You give heavy armour to an elf and it transforms into a bikini.

Joined: Sep 2016
O
stranger
Offline
stranger
O
Joined: Sep 2016
I don't understand why people are discussing how realistic and unrealistic stuff is in a fantasy world. Can't we just all enjoy the game and stop this endless debate that has no end?

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5