Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Such a big area and so boring. There are no good treasures to be had there and there's far more easier way to get to the entrance of the necromancers abode - there's a path past the hidden treasure vault cave at the southern part of the maze, you gotta have a teleport/phoenix dive/cloak and dagger skill to jump across deep water.

Devs, make this area less confusing and more rewarding.

Last edited by Aramintai; 17/09/16 11:19 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
It is alpha, maybe this area is a placeholder.

apprentice
apprentice
Hope you're right FadeToBlack, I've spent hours there with no clue where to go, what to do or how to douse those fricking flames.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
N
N
I actually had no idea how to properly leave, and ended up teleporting around to escape.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aramintai
Such a big area and so boring. There are no good treasures to be had there and there's far more easier way to get to the entrance of the necromancers abode - there's a path past the hidden treasure vault cave at the southern part of the maze, you gotta have a teleport/phoenix dive/cloak and dagger skill to jump across deep water.

Devs, make this area less confusing and more rewarding.

It's a puzzle. If you don't like puzzles, do something else. It's not needed for the main quest.

But just because you don't like puzzles (of that kind) this area doesn't suddenly becomes a "waste of space". Puzzles were also already a big part of DOS1. And what's exactly confusing to you?

By the way, teleporting is indeed a big part of environmental puzzles and general navigation in DOS2. That was already the case in DOS1 again. Nothing wrong with that imo. And the teleport isn't the only way to circumvent the puzzle. A certain ring can help as well... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 19/09/16 11:35 PM.

WOOS
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by LordCrash
And what's exactly confusing to you?

The biggest thing that confuses me why go there at all if there's a backdoor at the southern part and there are no good treasures or secret to be had there. And another thing - how to navigate it without some sort of teleport skill?

All in all, this area looks like a work in progress and I too hope it will become worth visiting come release date.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I don't have too much of an issue with the maze itself. If you look carefully enough you'll find a way to get through each room. If you can't then you can brute force your way through via teleports, or use a ring as mentioned before to skip it all.

What confuses me more than anything is what's inside the tower at the end. Are you supposed to be able to interact with those undead at all? No matter what dialogue path I took nothing came of it, and the only way through the large door was to teleport someone through the hole in the wall and open it from inside. Aside from the undead outside the main area there was a zombie, the well, and a book on blood roses and that was about it in terms of exposition. The treasure inside was alright I guess; there's decent reward potential from the well, a couple chests, and a vase that contained a ton of gold.

I'm also really confused by that arena type place outside the tower with the perpetually burning guy (The Historian I think? I forget his name). After clearing the encounter from entering the area, I tried all sorts of things to put him out but couldn't get anything to work. In multiplayer I even coordinated with a friend to cast Bless + that Marksman skill that cures burning at the same time. It worked for a split second then he went back to Necrofire. I think he also got angry at Sebille for casting the ability on him too. His reputation was at -45 for her and he wanted gifts which was kind of funny but also seemed unintentional.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You have to cast blessed blood rain at his feet to cure the historian.

veteran
veteran
And another thing - how to navigate it without some sort of teleport skill?

Haha, but that IS the puzzle, my friend. The path is the goal... hahaha

Last edited by LordCrash; 20/09/16 12:31 AM.

WOOS
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Those necromancers at the tower can give you a quest to free them by finding their soul jars, which I guess are located in the secret cave treasure vault south west of the tower, near the sanctuary, but this quest is bugged and doesn't close properly.
The burning guy in the maze is bugged too, I think.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by Damashi
You have to cast blessed blood rain at his feet to cure the historian.

Does he drop any good loot if you do?
Also, what a one of a kind combo to cure him rolleyes, I sure hope by release date he'll be fixed into accepting simple Bless.

R
stranger
stranger
R

Does he drop any good loot if you do?
Also, what a one of a kind combo to cure him rolleyes, I sure hope by release date he'll be fixed into accepting simple Bless.

I just went back and did this. He tells you he knows a secret related to Braccus Rex/Source but won't tell you what it is, then he just disappears. Kind of disappointing considering how obtuse the solution to putting out his flames is.

Last edited by vometia; 20/09/16 05:46 AM. Reason: formatting
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by rrandom

I just went back and did this. He tells you he knows a secret related to Braccus Rex/Source but won't tell you what it is, then he just disappears. Kind of disappointing considering how obtuse the solution to putting out his flames is.

More proof this is a WIP area.

veteran
veteran

More proof this is a WIP area.

No proof at all.

Or do you know every secret and every possible quest and reward in this game? At this point we're only guessing...

WOOS
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Originally Posted by LordCrash

Or do you know every secret and every possible quest and reward in this game? At this point we're only guessing...

I have no doubt that devs know what bad area design is and right now Gargoyle Maze is it. When it will be finished the burning guy will give up some secret\treasure not just dissapear, it will have an incentive to explore it by a number of good treasures scattered around and a more comprehensive way of navigating it for teleportation impaired parties.
And I'm willing to bet even its layout will be changed. It happened a lot to areas in DOS1 beta.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Ya this part felt really patched together. I didn't understand what my goal was or what i was supposed to be doing. I didn't know how to put out the Historians necrofire. It was a pain in the ass navigating around having to step on plates and stuff. Then inside, the undead dudes seemed bugged as hell. They wouldn't take their jars from me. I killed them for the key to get in, then they respawned and seemed to not mind at all.

I shouldn't have to look up online how to put out the necrofire. there needs to be something that tells me, or make the combination more intuitive. I honestly had no idea how curse and bless interacted with the environment until the internet told me, since both of their spell descriptions are worthless

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by NinjaWithSpoons
Ya this part felt really patched together. I didn't understand what my goal was or what i was supposed to be doing. I didn't know how to put out the Historians necrofire. It was a pain in the ass navigating around having to step on plates and stuff. Then inside, the undead dudes seemed bugged as hell. They wouldn't take their jars from me. I killed them for the key to get in, then they respawned and seemed to not mind at all.

I shouldn't have to look up online how to put out the necrofire. there needs to be something that tells me, or make the combination more intuitive. I honestly had no idea how curse and bless interacted with the environment until the internet told me, since both of their spell descriptions are worthless

This.

I didn't get a quest for this area, I stumbled into it by accident. I'm still trying to figure out where those necromancers are btw.
That leaves me utterly Clueless, and the descriptions gives me little help.

Don't get me wrong, I love puzzles. But they need to be well made and this is not.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
veteran
veteran
I got to the end by teleporting around and the Gargoyle called me a cheater.If I get out the "proper" way, is there a reward, or should I just not care what some stupid evil maze things about me?

enthusiast
enthusiast

What confuses me more than anything is what's inside the tower at the end. Are you supposed to be able to interact with those undead at all? No matter what dialogue path I took nothing came of it, and the only way through the large door was to teleport someone through the hole in the wall and open it from inside.

I found the key for the door!
I buffed myself with Clear Minded and Rested and then was able to see the key on the corpse of Necromancer Tasmyn (may have had a stat check to find it).
For some reason, all of the skeletons were dead for me when I got there. Was this because of smashing soul jars?
I wasn't able to teleport anything through, so I had to find the key.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
What i dont really like with this puzzle is how you need to keep reload the game if you plan to do it without jumping around with skills like teleport.

I dont mind puzzles, but this one is about resource management with the shambling skulls you find, and if you use one on a door to many so is the only fix to reload before you unlocked the door.

I much prefer puzzles where if you do something wrong you are just teleported back to entrence, die, get into combat etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard