Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Y
YOGZULA Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Y
I'm a big fan of how divinity allows interaction with the environment... but it's a bit excessive. Often it just feels like you inadvertently cause gigantic explosions that just decimate the battlefield. It's fun when it's strategic or on purpose, but it seems so easy to do that it just becomes chaotic and very punishing for any kind of melee character build.

Anyone else feel this way?

Y
YOGZULA Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Y
Like... I just killed a viscious voidling with lohse' fire wands and it exploded to instantly kill both of my melee party members. That's just insane.

In divinity OS 1 it was apparent which enemies were dangerous to kill near the party. Having enemies that are hidden bombs that can one shot the party just doesn't feel fun.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
[quote=YOGZULA]Like... I just killed a viscious voidling with lohse' fire wands and it exploded to instantly kill both of my melee party members. That's just insane.

In divinity OS 1 it was apparent which enemies were dangerous to kill near the party. Having enemies that are hidden bombs that can one shot the party just doesn't feel fun. [/quote]

If you have Lore trait you can examine creatures to find out what they can do. Press right click and you have option to do this.

addict
addict
I agree that the environmental effects are excessive, and too easy to trigger.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, I have to agree... it's fun visually, but it's just obnoxious to try and play around.

Y
YOGZULA Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Y
[quote=Tiaan][quote=YOGZULA]Like... I just killed a viscious voidling with lohse' fire wands and it exploded to instantly kill both of my melee party members. That's just insane.

In divinity OS 1 it was apparent which enemies were dangerous to kill near the party. Having enemies that are hidden bombs that can one shot the party just doesn't feel fun. [/quote]

If you have Lore trait you can examine creatures to find out what they can do. Press right click and you have option to do this. [/quote]

Ah yeah, that's a really cool addition to os2 - but I still think the environmental effects are a bit excessive regardless of that.

O
stranger
stranger
O
I don't agree, couldn't be more fun for me :D
I have 35hours on the game right now if that says anything, it's a lot of getting used to.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by YOGZULA
Ah yeah, that's a really cool addition to os2 - but I still think the environmental effects are a bit excessive regardless of that.

It's not an addition to OS2. That's what Loremaster did in the original Original Sin too :p

This game seems to have much more magic than the previous one. In fact, the first Act of D:OS 1 was fighting against undead, who were almost entirely melee-based, but if the first part of the game had featured tons of magic opponents, it would have been much harder, because your characters were so weak at that point in the game.

In my first few hours with D:OS 2, it seems like almost 100% of my opponents have been magic-based. For example, I just lost a fight because as soon as it started, a two-handed sword enemy used Boulder Bash on all four of my characters, then an archer threw a fireball and exploded it, killing all but one of my characters. None of these enemies were mages, by the way.

I clearly need to be pumping at least 50% of my skill points into Magic Armor, because I can't even remember the last time I got hit by an arrow or a sword. Enemies create sooo many environmental surfaces now, it's absolutely insane!

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
So far +1 for too much, or maybe too unpredictable, environmental effects - sometimes a lot more is happening/exploding than I thought :p

addict
addict
I agree. Its a little too much. It takes away predictability, though it looks nice. Needs some balancing.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
addict
addict
This was my thought too. The enviromental effects are very excessive and overdone IMO.

veteran
veteran
Yup... had a room flooted with water. Within 1 round, it was burning. Everything was burning. And 75% of my team died before I even got control as a result.

Melee's are pretty much useless as there's nowhere safe to run in the first place (and when they can it eats so much AP that mages can just use for murder)

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I agree that the effects are a bit too much. I would like to see a size decrease of around 20%.
But i disagree about Melees being useless. They can quite easily clean the environment or move with skills. Thats the con for having higher dps without sacrificing that much memory slots.
I really like the addition of blessed and cursed surfaces and playing with these wouldnt be as much fun if the surfaces were as small as they are in OS1.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Just as I said, that there will be threads like this!

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=586190#Post586190

Originally Posted by Darkraign
I agree that the effects are a bit too much. I would like to see a size decrease of around 20%.
But i disagree about Melees being useless. They can quite easily clean the environment or move with skills. Thats the con for having higher dps without sacrificing that much memory slots.
I really like the addition of blessed and cursed surfaces and playing with these wouldnt be as much fun if the surfaces were as small as they are in OS1.

I disagree here, right now the melee classes are a bit useless. Cause of the aoe effects everywhere, even with the ability to clear a very limited area. First of all clearing that cone of area doest remove any DOTS on the character, second that has a cooldown of 4 turns I think. So in 4 turns that little little tiny area will be set on fire\poisoned\electrocuted again.

People should give more feedback! Like the thread I created got so much views and so little feedback!

Last edited by Testad; 18/09/16 02:12 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
+1 to too many environmental effects making battles too chaotic. I understand that this is kind of D:OSes thing so I don't mind putting up with it. But I think there are plenty strategic options without relying on cheap effects, especially with the addition of height advantage.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Agreed! As a suggestion I said in a thread "Spellcasting NPCs" that they should limit the ability to cast AOE spells to a certain group of NPCs like mages or witches and the like. And maybe limit the AOE area, decrease it a bit for certain spells. Like the Voidwoken, when they die they curse a lot of area with their blood, which can create a lot of chaotic nercofire around if there is a fire area present (which is always present cause they have a vulnerability to the fire).

S
veteran
veteran
S
I dont know about removing them but the effectiveness is ofthen so strange.
Armor certainly plays a role there.
The voidling fight comes to mind, a bunch of exploding bugs that deal huge damage. Not that it was that hard but since i only had one ranged character i essentially hid my melee characters and used a bunch of consumeable weapons to kill them before they got into range.
didnt realy feel like what this battle was supposed to be like.

Y
YOGZULA Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Y
I just feel like it ruins some of the fun strategic elements. Elemental barrels were cool is os:1, where you might have to throw them around or position them strategically before a fight for a wombo combo. In OS:2 it feel like you don't even need to think about that. It's so easy to turn the battlefield into an elemental wasteland in no time flat.

the addition of 'winged feet' or whatever its called to avoid ground-based hazards is cool, but I still don't care for the aesthetic or mechanics of a battlefield just being an elemental wasteland.

If the effects are to remain as excessive as they are, I'd prefer for them to last for a shorter duration, or for the 'tornado' spell from OS:1 to make a return as a level 1 aerothurge spell to make clearing effects easy.

Originally Posted by YOGZULA
I'd prefer for them to last for a shorter duration, or for the 'tornado' spell from OS:1 to make a return as a level 1 aerothurge spell to make clearing effects easy.

I did probably 20 playthroughs of D:OS 1, and in each of them, I had to have Tornado on one of my characters. It was that necessary.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard