Next Thread
Print Thread
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Hi everyone,

Since I'm on this forum, something I often see is : "There is a problem with stats, we shouldn't be forced to put points in main stats for our spell to still do damages".
Indeed, as the game is now, if you don't focus on your prime stats, you will do less and less damages with levels.

I would like to introduce my idea to change that system but still have something that link skills and stats. This idea came up to me in another thread.

In some other games you can level up skills. I take the example of Path of Exile : if you use your skills and XP them, you can level up them but it will require more stats to be used. Leveling them gives you extra damage mostly.

Divinity Original Sin is a great game and an original one. I think we can create something else by mixing what's actually in D:OS2 and other things.

My idea is this : using or getting XP with a spell (to be determined) allows you to level it up. Leveling a spell would give a bonus to it (such has bigger AOE, more damages, greater chances to stun, one more bounce to the ennemy, one more turn for buff/debuff, etc...). In the other hand, leveling a spell will raise the link to main stat as it is actually. Here is an example :

- Level 1 Fireball is linked, of course, to Int. Let's say it's linked to 12 Int. That means that it would do more damage with more Int (let's say 5% more for each point, limited to +25%) and less damage if you have less than 12.

- Leveling your Fireball would increase damage slightly and AOE. That can be a great thing !

- Counterpart is : Level 3 Fireball would be linked to 20 Int for example. That means if you didn't put your Int to 24, you would lower the damage of the spell and that wouldn't be a great thing. Better to have a Lvl 2 fireball +10% damage than a Lvl 3 Fireball -15% for example.

- You would have the choice, in the skill menu, to upgrade or not a skill. It pops you when the skill is ok to level up but you do it in skill menu anytime you want, so your choice to wait a little, to keep it low level because you want to raise another stats, etc....

- With the memory system, we can also imagine some tiers where you would have a great improvement (why not, for example, more strikes on Hailstrike or bigger summon or ricochet has now a chance to poison) but the spell would take now 3 memory slots instead of 1. That could let you create a much better spell with your favorites or let them under that level tier (like level 5?) because you won't have space for them !

What are your thoughts about this idea ?
Sorry for the long post !

Angelus

Last edited by Angelus Errare; 18/09/16 09:29 PM.
A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
No one has a thought on that ? smirk I was thinking it was a good idea but maybe I was wrong XD

T
stranger
stranger
T
i feel like it would be to easy to game the system and too grindy normaly a battle you look for the right tool for the job you think what do i need here but this system means people will focus on trying to use the same spell over and over

enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry but that does not sound good.
The first aspect is totally Oblivion based "Use it to level it", and I hope this kind of thing will never take place in Divinity.

The second aspect to be fair, sounds overall complicated.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Leveling skills by using them has no place in a game like divinity ( encounters dont respawn -> cant grind spell levels -> forced to always use the same ).
Improving skills by using magical runes or something could work but is not needed in a game like this.

journeyman
journeyman
Overly complicated IMO.
It's like inventing a fifth wheel for a four-wheel car. So sorry, but I disagree.
To solve the problem with stats, the base system has to be revised, but building something up over a faulty base is generally a bad idea.

veteran
veteran
In short, it won't work because unlike Path of Exile, this game has a limited amount of XP available. Also, reinventing the wheel is not a great plan, etc...

A
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A
Well, thought it would add a little more originality to the game and make it more strategic ^^

I know there is no respawn or all but it can be adapted to that (not XP but number of uses or something like that). But ok, if you guys think it isn't a good idea, I think it is ^^

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard