Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I am going to oppose the general view. I think the generic non-specific dialogue is a reasonable idea. There are 4 origins, each of which should have a different personality and history which colors what they say.

Would a specific line really fit all 4 origins (never mind the additional origins still to come) and the generic dialogue?

There are hundreds of these generic dialogue choices in just the first act. It's not feasible to rewrite each of them in 9 different ways, so that leaves only the option to have one generic line lacking any personality or context. That's not going to be any better than the generic lines which encourage you to use your imagination to decide what specifically was said.

Larian has had good dialogue for the player characters, but that was absent from D:OS 1. Origionally it was planned that dialogue with NPC's was just going to be keyword based. No one liked that idea - and there was indeed a good argument against it, as one single word didn't provide enough context for what the reaction would be.

The transition back to full written lines had as its main casualty Larian's trademark wit. (Well possibly the EE brought it back, I'm not sure). The Vanilla version of D:OS 1 the protagonist dialogue for conversations with NPC's was pretty generic. I'm not sure that trying to go to specific lines will work any better.

C
C
I have no yet experienced it, but I think it's OK because the main characters is/are supposed to be sortof a blank state in most RPGs. It's the companions that usually have their personality and reactions fixed and unique.

Straight-to-the-point generic dialogue for the main (you) is OK in my book, it's very similar to how many heroes from books are actually bland when the reader is supposed to identify with them.

That's just theorical from my PoV, perhaps I'm missing something.

veteran
veteran
Any reason this isn't in the other topic?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Any reason this isn't in the other topic?

While I agree with Stabbey's point of view, I also agree that this could have been put in the other, "main" topic :p

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
apprentice
apprentice
Good Point Stabbey, and I do hope we'll see more of the humour in dialogues to come. Right now it feels like there is a slight unbalance, way too much fighting and action and not enough dialogue. As fun as it may be to beat the living daylight out of your enemies, it's the dialogue that explains stuff, immerses you in the story and makes you care for the protagonist. I'm sure there will be more, in time. I want more laugh

Last edited by Nemorosa; 19/09/16 08:57 AM.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
T
stranger
stranger
T
people not liking the new dialogue isn't the general view far as i can tell its a pretty even split

Last edited by Themilkman01; 19/09/16 08:59 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Maybe it will feel more natural when all the dialogue are in place as they're intended to be, complete with voiceover? I mean, sound is important to the experience and if you read the dialogue and simultaneously hear your companions groan and scoff at your choices or hum agreeingly you get more of a feeling that you're parttake in a discussion. Even if the written dialogue is generic.

Last edited by Nemorosa; 19/09/16 09:07 AM.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
journeyman
journeyman
I disagree.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I have no issue with the current dialogue system

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard