Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
I went to roll up an Elven Rogue character, and lo and behold I was unable to customize him fully.

For instance, there is an ability called "Corpse Eater" that I do not particularly like. Kind of hate it, in fact. However, I was unable to swap it out for something else.

It seems to me that these kinds of things should not be forced on us, especially given we can change skills around and such. More customization leads to more enjoyment for some of us :- )

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
This is a Racial Skill.
All Elves eat corpses. This is the core for elves in DoS2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It would still be nice if we got the option to choose from a set of racial bonuses, rather than get stuck with a static one.

Okay, some elves eat folks, and some lizards spit fire.

But can't we also have elves that are strictly vegan, or lizards that spit acid/poison?

N
N
I'm more concerned about the usefulness of the other racial abilities. Elf, for example has corpse eating and that blood sacrifice ability, which are both really good and useful for nearly any combination of classes you go with. Lizards, on the other hand have the poorly scaling fire breath, and not much else, and that ability alone is of questionable worth to every class.

journeyman
journeyman
I am completely fine with racial talents as a concept.

The elven one, corpse eater is one of the better ones in my view. It is an ability that all elves have (in D:OS 2 universe) and is part of their culture. (To share memories through flesh)

The rest of them are kind of bland, as they are just + stats, but I don't have any real issues with them.

As for their racial abilities
I'd hope they all so-called equally well and it would be nice if you had a few variants but they still fit with the races.
(Lizards see themselves as descendants of dragons if I'm not mistaken, elves as I said earlier sacrifice flesh as part of their culture)

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by norD
This is a Racial Skill.
All Elves eat corpses. This is the core for elves in DoS2.

and it is awesome!

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
veteran
veteran
I would like eye colour and the ability to import custom faces as customisation.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Naqel
But can't we also have elves that are strictly vegan

I remember Dragon Commander where if you picked the Elf queen, you could have her attend a banquet in her honor where meat is being served, and An Elf Eating MEAT?! was a Huge Scandal.

Originally Posted by Nivv
I'm more concerned about the usefulness of the other racial abilities. Elf, for example has corpse eating and that blood sacrifice ability, which are both really good and useful for nearly any combination of classes you go with. Lizards, on the other hand have the poorly scaling fire breath, and not much else, and that ability alone is of questionable worth to every class.

Yeah, Lizards should get that Shed Skin ability you suggested. What was it, something like "Remove all positive and negative status effects, -1 or -2 CON for 2-3 turns"? That one would be more universally useful

Originally Posted by Naqel
It would still be nice if we got the option to choose from a set of racial bonuses, rather than get stuck with a static one.

Okay, some elves eat folks, and some lizards spit fire.

But can't we also have elves that are strictly vegan, or lizards that spit acid/poison?

I want a human that spits holy fire and craps lightning bolts

but seriously, it is a very different take on elves and I can see it turning some people off

also I'm never against more user freedom/choice. I don't see this really being a priority though

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Given that we are this far into development and thus adding alternate racial abilities would be quite low on the enhancement list, I would be perfectly fine if we could swap out abilities for stats. It isn't ideal, but it would be better than nothing.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Im okay with having a distinct racial ability, but they definitely need some balancing and some of them need to be a little more suited for all classes.

addict
addict
its another, new take on elves which i love!
maybe vegan elves eating plants (and getting a plant's memories, impressions etc) would have been more fitting with "common elf lore", but it would also not work as well in certain situations

as for the other racials: pretty straight forward stuff IMO

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Landshark

For instance, there is an ability called "Corpse Eater" that I do not particularly like. Kind of hate it, in fact. However, I was unable to swap it out for something else.

You can't swap out of a racial trait.
The good news is: it wasn't costing you any customization point.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
apprentice
apprentice
It would probably take a lot of effort to include new racial abilities, considering that Larian has already based many of their stories and character interactions on them. That effort might be better invested in something that results in a bigger return.

That said, I am also surprised just how much Rivellon has changed. The former vegetarian elves are now cannibals, while the former democratic lizards became slavers.

O
stranger
stranger
O
I hope that each tag has effects on character ability, like Arcanum and VtM:Bloodlines (via user patch). Not just for dialogues...

S
stranger
stranger
S
For me I am hoping that we get more physical options in Character Customisation (Hair, Face, Hair Colour, Voice?, Accessories like Piercings, tattoos etc) as well as options to define Body shape (Human comes to mind)

In terms of Racial abilities, well, Elves take the cake here, Corpse Eater and Flesh Sacrifice are two awesome abilities in terms of Lore and Combat, my issue (and this is the same for all races, except Human) is that the +2 of a certain stat really pigeonholes you into that archetype and even if you want to multispec you can't really keep that up (As far as I know and that is a different topic all together).

For Human, I really like the +2 Wits and 3% crit chance as it is a solid boost without the fixation on an archetype (You could always get Savage Sortilege to benefit from that extra crit chance if you are a mage type character)
but the +1 Leadership is kinda lackluster. Maybe make Encourage available to all races through Warfare (seeing how it will guarantee to work regardless of whether you are strength based or not (I LOVE using Rage because of this with Rangers and, because of Savage Sortilege, Mages) but a Human using Encourage would be enhanced, like say breaking allies out of certain CC/reducing the chance of succumbing to certain CC

Unsure about Dwarves and Lizards, not really given them too much thought as of yet

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard