Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Ayvah] #589599
26/09/16 11:09 PM
26/09/16 11:09 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,801
Germany
LordCrash Offline

veteran
LordCrash  Offline

veteran

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,801
Germany
Originally Posted by Ayvah
They may not be as civilized as their wardrobe and cities imply.

The Roman empire envisioned themselves as the most civilized power in the known world although they were pretty brutal and intolerant at times and although they held slaves.

Everything is a question of perspective. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 26/09/16 11:10 PM.

WOOS
Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Ayvah] #589600
26/09/16 11:11 PM
26/09/16 11:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 102
N
Nivv Offline
member
Nivv  Offline
member
N

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Ayvah
Although I understand that the lizards are fond of slavery? And the Red Prince mentioned that if he were anything but a Prince, then he would have been killed at birth.

They may not be as civilized as their wardrobe and cities imply.

(Also true of many humans.)


In the early kickstarter snippet about them as a race, I recall it mentioning that they actively partake in selective breeding to cultivate physical traits that they consider ideal. That seems to fit very well with what the Red Prince implies.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Ayvah] #589602
26/09/16 11:23 PM
26/09/16 11:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
IcySteps Offline
apprentice
IcySteps  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Ayvah, please pay attention. We were talking about appearance. Must I quote my original argument again?

Originally Posted by Ayvah
The lizards have sharp claws, and a large mouth filled with carnivorous teeth. This is indisputably violent, therefore savage.


"violent: using force to hurt or attack; used to describe a situation or event in which people are hurt or killed; sudden and powerful" [Cambridge Dictionary]

If we accept the Cambridge Dictionary as a credible source, it becomes obvious that the mere existence of claws or teeth on someone is independent of the quality of being violent. Please use a dictionary if you are uncertain of the meaning of some words.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #589603
26/09/16 11:26 PM
26/09/16 11:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 449
Germany
dlux Offline

addict
dlux  Offline

addict

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 449
Germany
Lizards look great.

The only strange thing about lizards is that they get tail boners when they speak or attack, which looks a bit awkward to me... think

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: IcySteps] #589606
26/09/16 11:39 PM
26/09/16 11:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 102
N
Nivv Offline
member
Nivv  Offline
member
N

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by IcySteps
Ayvah, please pay attention. We were talking about appearance. Must I quote my original argument again?

I think they are looking at it from a very human-centric perspective. Humans evolved the way that we have mostly in spite of our lack of natural weapons, and in this case they are attributing it as a desirable sign of civility and not something that 'just happened' and that we had to deal with.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Nivv] #589612
27/09/16 12:03 AM
27/09/16 12:03 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
IcySteps Offline
apprentice
IcySteps  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
I think you are making a good point, Nivv. It doesn't seem to me that Ayvah is arguing along the same line though.

I think that many could consider an individual with sharp claws and clearly visible fangs menacing, which could lead to an air of unease. This stressful atmosphere is hardly conductive for serene interactions, so some could find it objectionable.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #589624
27/09/16 01:22 AM
27/09/16 01:22 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
R
Rabit Offline
stranger
Rabit  Offline
stranger
R

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1
I disagree. They look very civilized to me and their general appearance is by far my favorite of the races. :)

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: IcySteps] #589631
27/09/16 02:42 AM
27/09/16 02:42 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
Ayvah Offline

enthusiast
Ayvah  Offline

enthusiast

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by IcySteps
Ayvah, please pay attention. We were talking about appearance. Must I quote my original argument again?

You're saying you're talking about appearance, but you contradict this by trying to demonstrate that these words cannot be used to describe appearance.

The function of sharp claws, the function of sharp teeth, the function of breathing fire on your enemies is violence.

The effect of seeing tools that appear designed for violence is that they appear violent. Seeing a soldier armed with an AK-47 looks violent. Many songs censor the word "gun" for their radio version due to this truism. Of course, everything is subjective, but this concept should not be controversial.

If you're determined to continue splitting hairs and need me to look at a dictionary then I can refer you to Dictionary.com, where the meaning includes "characterised by an uncontrolled, strong, rough force"

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Ayvah] #589632
27/09/16 02:48 AM
27/09/16 02:48 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
IcySteps Offline
apprentice
IcySteps  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Ayvah, after reading my recent reply to you, I feel that I need to add the following: It was never my intention to sound disrespectful. Please accept my apologies if I have offended you in any way!

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Ayvah] #589635
27/09/16 02:57 AM
27/09/16 02:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
IcySteps Offline
apprentice
IcySteps  Offline
apprentice

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by Ayvah
You're saying you're talking about appearance, but you contradict this by trying to demonstrate that these words cannot be used to describe appearance.
This is just not true! Please refer to my earlier posts.

Originally Posted by Ayvah
The function of sharp claws, the function of sharp teeth, the function of breathing fire on your enemies is violence.
I guess a spoon is also "violent", because it can be used to gauge eyes. It is one of the spoon's function, after all.

Also, are you arguing that claws are "characterised by an uncontrolled, strong, rough force"?

I am done here, Ayvah. I see no point in continuing this discussion.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: IcySteps] #589661
27/09/16 04:44 AM
27/09/16 04:44 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
Ayvah Offline

enthusiast
Ayvah  Offline

enthusiast

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by IcySteps
I guess a spoon is also "violent", because it can be used to gauge eyes. It is one of the spoon's function, after all.

If that's the function you associate with a spoon then sure. That's exactly why it's subjective.

I have not taken any offense. Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #589686
27/09/16 08:03 AM
27/09/16 08:03 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
C
Cloudrunner Offline
stranger
Cloudrunner  Offline
stranger
C

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
I love the way the lizards look. They're one of the first animal races in recent memory that don't simply look like a human with animal features (furry). They have a really unique body structure and posing that's both elegant and at the same time a little feral. TBH when I look at new fantasy titles these days I look at what sort of race lineup they have first. So many generic races on display or half assed attempts at something "unique". But I think Larian nailed it with this race and I look forward to playing them.

Last edited by Cloudrunner; 27/09/16 08:03 AM.
Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Cloudrunner] #589701
27/09/16 09:09 AM
27/09/16 09:09 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
Ayvah Offline

enthusiast
Ayvah  Offline

enthusiast

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner
They're one of the first animal races in recent memory that don't simply look like a human with animal features (furry).

Uh... These lizards definitely fit the archetype of furry (or scalie, in this case).

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Ayvah] #589779
27/09/16 07:18 PM
27/09/16 07:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
C
Cloudrunner Offline
stranger
Cloudrunner  Offline
stranger
C

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Ayvah
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner
They're one of the first animal races in recent memory that don't simply look like a human with animal features (furry).

Uh... These lizards definitely fit the archetype of furry (or scalie, in this case).


No, what I'm talking about would be like the Argonians from Skyrim. Literally a human with a lizard head and tail attached to them. Complete with boobs for some reason. Or like the Worgen in WoW, again look like supermodels with a dog face plopped on them. If you're going to make an animal-like race at least go the extra step and give them a unique body structure. That's why I like the lizards in this game.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #589784
27/09/16 07:41 PM
27/09/16 07:41 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
H
Hot Stuff Offline
stranger
Hot Stuff  Offline
stranger
H

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Honestly, the only issue I have with them is that long neck. It's just begging for someone to decapitate them. Otherwise, I have no problem with them.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Cloudrunner] #589788
27/09/16 08:30 PM
27/09/16 08:30 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,110
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Online sleepy

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Online Sleepy

Duchess of Gorgombert

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,110
The Frog & Hounds
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner
No, what I'm talking about would be like the Argonians from Skyrim. Literally a human with a lizard head and tail attached to them. Complete with boobs for some reason. Or like the Worgen in WoW, again look like supermodels with a dog face plopped on them. If you're going to make an animal-like race at least go the extra step and give them a unique body structure. That's why I like the lizards in this game.

They used to look somewhat different in Morrowind. I remember that guy in Solstheim (or maybe it was a khajiit, but the same applies) moaning about not being able to find any boots that fit.

But then Oblivion happened and they gave them human bodies with novelty heads and a tail.


J'aime le fromage.
Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: vometia] #590012
28/09/16 08:23 PM
28/09/16 08:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
C
Cloudrunner Offline
stranger
Cloudrunner  Offline
stranger
C

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner
No, what I'm talking about would be like the Argonians from Skyrim. Literally a human with a lizard head and tail attached to them. Complete with boobs for some reason. Or like the Worgen in WoW, again look like supermodels with a dog face plopped on them. If you're going to make an animal-like race at least go the extra step and give them a unique body structure. That's why I like the lizards in this game.

They used to look somewhat different in Morrowind. I remember that guy in Solstheim (or maybe it was a khajiit, but the same applies) moaning about not being able to find any boots that fit.

But then Oblivion happened and they gave them human bodies with novelty heads and a tail.


What happened was cost cutting measures with some thinly veiled lore to excuse it. Nevermind the Khajiit and Argonians, remember how all the elves looked exactly the same (basically like wood elves?). That was a hell of a change after coming off of Morrowind and seeing the regal Altmer and brooding Dunmer suddenly looking like Santa's elves.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #590071
29/09/16 02:31 AM
29/09/16 02:31 AM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 14
Sydney, Australia
SkatteredInk Offline
stranger
SkatteredInk  Offline
stranger

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 14
Sydney, Australia
I Like the lizards, especially the cool colours that you can choose. I've got no issue with the long necks, but it would be nice if you could choose the height of the character in creation. My female lizard warrior towered over everyone, even the Red Prince.

Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #590087
29/09/16 03:23 AM
29/09/16 03:23 AM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 14
Sydney, Australia
SkatteredInk Offline
stranger
SkatteredInk  Offline
stranger

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 14
Sydney, Australia
I also liked the fact that other races didn't take to them as well as they did humans (though the fact that humans don't really like anything other than what looks like them is a pretty bleak (but honest) take on humans in general.)

I know it wasn't just for humans v humans, every race tended to stick to their preference for the same race. Like with reality, you get some NPC who are willing to look past the race issue whereas others are just bigots, though in some cases this is justified (i.e. the lizards being slavers and Elves being cannibals.)


Re: Lizard race appereance [Re: Acesahn] #590090
29/09/16 03:54 AM
29/09/16 03:54 AM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 52
G
Gelatinous Rube Offline
journeyman
Gelatinous Rube  Offline
journeyman
G

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 52
The Lizards are my favorite looking race in the game so far. So colorful! I wish the game let me run an all-lizard party.

My only objection is that they are called..."lizards". So mundane. I wish they'd spruce that up a little and name them "Scalekin", or Saurians or something a little more interesting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2