Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I
I am playing Lhose, and have the other 3 in my party. All have made it to L4 and I think that we've done everything before going into Fort Joy.

1. When leveling up, it would be nice to back points out. As it stands, you are stuck if you make a mistake.

2. It's pretty complex figuring out how to build your characters. Having someone with Pet Pal is important if you are into the story aspect.

3. It would be nice to be able to stop the other characters in your party when you want the sneakiest PC to scout or steal. Also would be helpful when traversing through the fire slug maze of fire. My main PC walks along the fire lines, but my companions walk through the flames and get burned.

Story related things didn't give enough opportunities to avoid a fight. Examples:
4. Griff encounter: Quest for stolen oranges + D. First off, would've been nice to smell the oranges before talking to stinger. First time I encountered him I left him alone cause he was sleeping. Anyway, got the oranges and went to complete Griff's quest and was only given 2 choices. Give up stingray as the thief, or fight griff and his thugs. I didn't think my group could take the thugs, and didn't want to turn stingray in, why couldn't we lie and say we killed the thief or that he was dead when found. Plenty of cases like that. Anyway I won the fight, but it was tough because we didn't have good armor or weapons. This is a case where positioning my companions and doing a "stay" would be useful. I could've had some of my guys on high ground checking the thugs. Didn't need everyone to talk to Griff. Also, was suprized that Ibn didn't bother me about giving him the drudane.

5. Positioning my party prior to fighting crocs and turtles would've make sense as well.

6. I haven't used pick pocket or thieving, not my play style, but I use Ibn for unlocking chests, and would use him if I really needed to pick pocket a guards keys or something.

7. I liked the Elven encampment, but didn't happen upon it until later. Although I save Ehloise from the thugs, she said follow her to safety, I wasn't quick enough and I lost her. It turned out fine since I found them later. I was confused that Lhose passed all skill checks to Supress her inner demons from killing the blind elf mystic, but I still only came to a final option to kill her. At the least, my other 3 companions could've stopped me. I liked the stuff we found and how the Prince was able to dig things cause he was a lizard, but he couldn't dig the opening to Mobe's secret cavern? Got a shovel after the Griff fight and came in to meet the guardian guy, the spear was awesome and later with my Prince at level 3 he could one shot minor opponents, and I think he killed the ancient turtle with two shots. I'm playing on explorer mode, glad for the easier mode. My feeling is, the point of the game it to get through the story, some fun combat challenges, but I don't want to have to tweak my party, skills, equipment etc just to get through some tough encounters like I had to for the Original Dragon Age (killing Morgana's mom in dragon form, or one of the Revenant battles. Had to search spoiler walkthroughs to win those battles).

8. In the fire slugs area, again glad for the pet pal skill for the dialog to avoid fighting them, found the tunnel into the prison. Was thinking about teleporting into the adjacent cell to get access to the fort. Also I didn't see anything past the fires slugs so didn't venture too far into their area (mostly because my party kept walking in the fire).

I think that I've explored all of the fort joy beach and areas in the ghetto, still need to retry the battle arena, wasn't strong enough the first time. Armor and weapons much better now. Haven't used the water barrels to put out fires on my PCs yet. Usually just want to spend the action to kill off bad guys first.

Also, haven't had any companions initiate dialog with me regarding their plot stories, maybe I'm just not far enough. But I would've thought Selene and the Prince would be contentious.

Overall very enjoyable!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Izzachar
3. It would be nice to be able to stop the other characters in your party when you want the sneakiest PC to scout or steal. Also would be helpful when traversing through the fire slug maze of fire. My main PC walks along the fire lines, but my companions walk through the flames and get burned.

Do you mean other than separating them from the party by pulling their icon out of the chain? I must admit I don't always remember to do that, but it is handy when I don't want the others blundering around causing havoc.

J'aime le fromage.
I
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I
Yeah, I don't want to pull anyone from my party. Some games let you mouse click a "stay" or "stand ground" command to an NPC. Would be helpful in fights too if playing alone because I could position my NPCs better.

veteran
veteran
If you unlink them they'll become individuals (like, say, Baldur's Gate II).

Also nice to see a more storycentered gamer rather than the mechanical ones I often see on this forum, not enough of us.

Also, haven't had any companions initiate dialog with me regarding their plot stories, maybe I'm just not far enough. But I would've thought Selene and the Prince would be contentious.

Not in the game yet (try talking to them and you see the WIP-dialogue).

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by Izzachar

1. When leveling up, it would be nice to back points out. As it stands, you are stuck if you make a mistake.

2. It's pretty complex figuring out how to build your characters. Having someone with Pet Pal is important if you are into the story aspect.

I don't think you're ever really stuck in this game, as far as having a character that's able to complete it.

The concept of re-speccing is always a tricky one. While I always think that I would prefer a system that let me make minor changes often as you suggest, as opposed to wholesale re-spec, I feel like it would be pretty exploitable in this game. For instance you mention Pet Pal, an ability that is situationally useful, but not as useful as other perks that pay dividends much more often. What's to stop someone from swapping out that talent to use for those specific situations, then swapping it back out for a more general purpose one as soon as it's not needed?

I think players should have to commit to choices, and try out different things in replays. Re-spec is probably always exploitable, but probably a necessary measure to appeal to players without as much time or patience. That said, I think it should be a rare occurrence, costly, and not something able to happen casually throughout the game.

Last edited by Gelatinous Rube; 29/09/16 11:31 AM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't think you're ever really stuck in this game, as far as having a character that's able to complete it.

The concept of re-speccing is always a tricky one. While I always think that I would prefer a system that let me make minor changes often as you suggest, as opposed to wholesale re-spec, I feel like it would be pretty exploitable in this game. For instance you mention Pet Pal, an ability that is situationally useful, but not as useful as other perks that pay dividends much more often. What's to stop someone from swapping out that talent to use for those specific situations, then swapping it back out for a more general purpose one as soon as it's not needed?

To be honest i dont Think he meant to be able to respec, more to be able to remove a wrongfully put point during level up, for example if you put a point into streangth but you were meant to put it into intellegence, you should be able to remove the point you put in.

Last edited by vometia; 29/09/16 08:28 PM. Reason: formatting
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I'm pretty sure #1 refers to having a commit button when putting points into things when leveling up. Like, you get two stat points, and if you accidentally click the + next to the wrong one, you either have to reload your latest save game or be stuck with that mistake. I agree with the OP on point 1. I'd also like to be able to see the effect that gaining stat points would have before committing to them.

2. It's supposed to be. If they were easy choices, they wouldn't really be choices.

3. Already in the game, as others have mentioned.

4. Because he wanted to know who it was, dead or alive. To quote The Doctor "Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose."

5. So much yes. I especially hate when you separate your group members so you can position them before a fight, and then when the fight starts, they rearrange themselves, usually in a terrible way. It would be nice if I could keep them in the formation of my choosing. I've had them walk through fire, bursting into flames, while auto-arranging.

7. I agree that the elf girl ran off a bit quick with no real indication of where she was going. I lost her the first time, too. Was quite a while before I found that cave. The rest of your point, though... If you're looking for a game you can sleep through and still win, this isn't it. I would recommend you try Final Fantasy and the like instead.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard