Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Maybe I missed something, but I'm at a loss as to what Godwoken are, and as to what happened between Divinity: Original Sin, and now. I do know that it's many, many years in between, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Its not really mentioned in the other games that I can remember and is not explained yet in detail in game (I am sure it will be much more prevalent later).

Anyway spoilers from the first act.......

If you notice the place you get bless skill you are talking to a former god and they kind of...... choose you to succeed them I guess? I think in that act you become a godwoken and you have the potential to become a god. Pretty sure some of the seekers explain it in their own way but I cant remember what they said.

As for whats happened in between..... pretty sure the divine divinity game happened but its not totally lining up with the game plot, the story itself feels pretty much not linked well with the other games imo. Its more standalone than sequel.

Though as to exactly what has happened try this link http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Last edited by SacredDark; 28/09/16 09:42 PM.
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Wait how can you replace a god if he comes back later

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, the world doesn't know it yet, that the Divine is still alive and there were a few theories posted that the god we see isn't a god, but the Demon Lord of this Universe. Could work, since he could create independent parts of himself (The Demon of Lies) and would fit into it.

OR the gods do also not know, that the Divine is still alive. All good questions grin.

As for the Godwoken: I think they want to combine it with the making of the Divine in the first Divinity and the background story of the Goddess of magic: the first Mages were half-gods and maybe Sourcerers are direct descendants from them and that's why gods can live in them.

Last edited by Zelon; 29/09/16 07:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
For all the complaining I might do about The Lore Of The Divinity Universe, it might surprise you that the Godwoken thing is not something I'm complaining about. The idea that The Seven Gods are fighting among themselves was a bit surprising, but really, there's only one time that they've been "seen" and that was granting the Divine the powers, which is something that they all agreed on anyway.

It's not like all the races get along well on the mortal plane. The idea of one of our characters becoming a new god to replace one of the older gods seemed odd at first, but then who is to say that sort of thing hasn't happened before? If a new Dwarf Godwoken is chosen to replace Duna, then for all intents and purposes they would become Duna, and probably no one would even know.

And of course there's always the chance that it's a false vision and we're really being manipulated by beings playing us for suckers. That actually happens a lot in this series.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey

[...]

And of course there's always the chance that it's a false vision and we're really being manipulated by beings playing us for suckers. That actually happens a lot in this series.

It's kind of a returning motive, yes grin.

But I like your idea of "replacing" a god. I just assumed that we should take the place of Lucian on earth (a half-godly being, that is the head of the church and state ... maybe. It was never clear if Lucian actually reigned over Rivellon and if we take "Child of Chaos" as a source he never did), but actually replacing one of the gods could work.

Last edited by Zelon; 29/09/16 07:47 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
How do you think it'll play out as an Undead character? There are gods for Imps, Orcs, Goblins, Humans, Elves, Lizards, and Dwarves, but there isn't an Undead god. Who do you think would speak to your character if you were an undead when you interacted with the statue?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I guess the goddess of magic? Or whichever god talked with Lohse. Maybe it is connected whichever race we took to begin. But my guess is the goddess of magic. Would just fit in my opinion, since it is magic that keeps us alive.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Zelon
Or whichever god talked with Lohse.

I seriously doubt Lohse's thing is a god.
Then again, not sure which would be worse: a god convincingly pretending to be a demon or Lohse dealing with a demon whose power can rival gods. Sounds like she's kinda screwed either way.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I didn't play Lohse yet. What was it in her case? Something with big teeth and now exes? Than it is definitely a demon. Or worse: The trife.

apprentice
apprentice
That's the worst part -
you talk to the other Lohse. The thing doesn't want you to know what it is, so it simply takes your appearance. Sounds like something a demon would do, certainly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Now I want to play Lohse, too.

apprentice
apprentice
You ought to. Judging by what I've seen in act 1, other origins are going to have a really hard time trying to top Lohse.
It's also why I doubt that we'll be replacing any gods any time soon.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Hey Everyone, I just want to clarify, I've only played DOS1 and what's available in DOS2 and I don't know anything about the extended universe but from what I understood playing DOS2 so far has been that being Godwoken puts you in line to be the new Divine. One of the Gods, I don't remember which one but I think it was the human one, says that they're fighting inside the Body of Divine Lucian and from what I understood from dialogue with the seekers, is that they are looking for the next possible Divine or rather: Godwoken.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, please, DOS1 had a nice universe that I could just soak up all the information I got thrown at me, but DOS2 really made me interested in trying to actively find out what's going on.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So Rokji, the thing here is that this is pre-access, and in pre-alpha, so we don't know for sure if any of this is even canon. It maybe very well be, but considering
Lucian, the divine, isn't actually dead based off current canon lore, it doesn't really seem to be canon, and if it is, we're being duped somewhere along the way. There is no need for a divine because he isn't dead at the moment.
Now, Godwoken is an entirely separate thing. We know close to nothing at the moment about what it is due to it never having been in any of the other games. What we're speculating though, is that godwoken is some sort of being who will transcend and possibly take the place of a god. Now, this is all speculation, so don't hold or quote me on any of this.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard