Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Cylion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
So normally I search the entire beach before going to town, in town I kill the two guys trying to steal from the elf. After that I kill the 3 guys playing cards. I always hit lvl 2 after this, always. But today I wanted to be nice, I dint kill the 2 guys by the elf, but I helped her anyway. I did kill the 3 guys playing card but this time I did not hit lvl 2. I am at 90% or so. This really makes me want to kill them anyway just for the xp.

veteran
veteran
Kill exp und quest exp are different. If you want the most exp just kill everyone.

C
Cylion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Yes, but they could give good people more xp to balance it out.

journeyman
journeyman
Yea I had the same problem. If I play like I would like to, I would leave with lvl 4 or something... and since the last fight is really hard at lvl 7, it would be undoable at lvl 4...

Last time I killed all the *bad* guys and reached lvl 7... what if I do not want to kill all? it seems as if being *good* makes you loose/ not be able to finish even the first chapter.

Would be nice to have some feedback on this, is there anyone who got through without killing every soldier etc?

They could just give exactly 0xp for killing NPCs, but give the player a specific amount of xp for completing the NPC encounters, no matter how they're completed (killing, talking, bribing).

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
I'm surprised encounter XP isn't the same as kill XP. That absolutely should be the case, doing anything else discourages problem solving.

Originally Posted by Cylion
So normally I search the entire beach before going to town, in town I kill the two guys trying to steal from the elf. After that I kill the 3 guys playing cards. I always hit lvl 2 after this, always. But today I wanted to be nice, I dint kill the 2 guys by the elf, but I helped her anyway. I did kill the 3 guys playing card but this time I did not hit lvl 2. I am at 90% or so. This really makes me want to kill them anyway just for the xp.

Maybe there are other ways in which you can interact with these people to get more xp rather than killing them, that you haven't found yet.. hint hint wink wink nod nod

C
Cylion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Fyrestorme

Maybe there are other ways in which you can interact with these people to get more xp rather than killing them, that you haven't found yet.. hint hint wink wink nod nod

Like given them the money? Or beating them in the game using the card? It is the same XP for me.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lynoa
It seems as if being *good* makes you loose/ not be able to finish even the first chapter.

Just like irl eh?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Experience for just killing NPCs should probably be gone completely.

I can understand giving it out for fights that are mandatory or unrelated to quests, but if a quest can be completed without killing anything, doing so should yield the same amount of experience.

A more elaborate alternative would be to have some unique loot attached to the non-violent solutions(or doing the opposite, where it makes sense) and giving out more general loot/xp for the other solution, but the way loot works in Divinity isn't particularly conducive to that approach.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There is just another side to this issue. Say I want to roleplay an ''evil'' character, if a random woman asks me to find her child I will tell her to fck off, because looking for lost children is not something an evil character does, but the good guys will get the XP for that quest. Solution? Just murder the woman and get the XP. If you don't get XP for killing NPC's then you only reward the good characters instead.

Last edited by Kadajko; 05/10/16 07:11 PM.
Originally Posted by Kadajko
There is just another side to this issue. Say I want to roleplay an ''evil'' character, if a random woman asks me to find her child I will tell her to fck off, because looking for lost children is not something an evil character does, but the good guys will get the XP for that quest. Solution? Just murder the woman and get the XP. If you don't get XP for killing NPC's then you only reward the good characters instead.

Or you could get the same amount of XP for refusing to complete the quest and letting the child die, but you wouldn't get the item reward that the mother would have otherwise given you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Grondoth
I'm surprised encounter XP isn't the same as kill XP. That absolutely should be the case, doing anything else discourages problem solving.

Yes that should be fixed to make them equal. And to prevent double-dipping, if you complete a potential-combat encounter by talking your around it, those NPC's should then be set to give zero experience if you kill them, to prevent "okay we'll go now" -> Player gets quest complete/charisma XP -> player force-attacks retreating people -> they go hostile -> player kills them -> player gets kill XP.

In fact in that situation, it should pop up 0 XP over their heads to make it clear that killing them does nothing helpful anymore.

If you choose to not take a quest, that is a choice, of course you should not get XP for it any more than you should get XP for quests which you never find at all.

Getting the same amount of XP for killing the woman on the spot as you would for following the quest and all the clues seems imbalanced as well because it's a lot less work to murder a weak NPC than it is to do the quest.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T

you are not the first person to ask this question.

1:02 is what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by Testad

10/10, fantastic joke

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by CharityDiary

10/10, fantastic joke

no its a trailer from the movie

apprentice
apprentice
Or you could get the same amount of XP for refusing to complete the quest and letting the child die, but you wouldn't get the item reward that the mother would have otherwise given you.

What did you learn from refusing that quest? Where's the experience in doing nothing?
Unless there's an actual reason to let the child die, aside from being a cartoon villain, I don't see any reason to get XP from it.

10/10, fantastic joke

no its a trailer from the movie

I know!!!

C
Cylion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by Grondoth

Yes that should be fixed to make them equal. And to prevent double-dipping, if you complete a potential-combat encounter by talking your around it, those NPC's should then be set to give zero experience if you kill them, to prevent "okay we'll go now" -> Player gets quest complete/charisma XP -> player force-attacks retreating people -> they go hostile -> player kills them -> player gets kill XP.

In fact in that situation, it should pop up 0 XP over their heads to make it clear that killing them does nothing helpful anymore.

If you choose to not take a quest, that is a choice, of course you should not get XP for it any more than you should get XP for quests which you never find at all.

Getting the same amount of XP for killing the woman on the spot as you would for following the quest and all the clues seems imbalanced as well because it's a lot less work to murder a weak NPC than it is to do the quest.

Wait, her child is not dead? She is not crazy? Fuck me.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Naqel
Experience for just killing NPCs should probably be gone completely.

Now you're just being egotistic. I have no issue with the argument to adjust XP so that you at least have the oportunity to gain the same XP for talking your way out of a situation as for fighting. But arguing to remove the XP for NPCs is to argue to just punish an evil playstyle intead of the good one. You argue for what suits your playstyle ignoring that there are people who think its more fun to kill NPCs.

Why should the game try to pidgeonhole people into any particular playstyle when it can simply be an option open for people how they want to play the game without being punished for it?

More specifically, if you want the game to be that way simply because it suits you, why should anyone be sympathetic to your view intead of just favouring their own? wink

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard