Hi ! - sry for bad english
Here my point of view about source points :
I think it's a really great idea from Larian. But with somes changes can turn it into a reall game/fun maker ! Explanation, from my experience (SPOILER //) :
I /As said Slampow, you can found a lot of source points in the Alpha. See his comment for details.
II/ Uses i found in Acte 1 :
- High skills
- Activation of the lantern in the donjon after vampire maze
- Opening Braccus chest in the little donjon near the place you found Gareth fighting.
III/ Facts :
- 1) Opening Braccus chest and Activate the lantern consume all your character point source (1 or 3 points depending how many you have).
- 2) Ways to get point source could be boring => equipping wand, using skill ... Not making the game fluent.
- 3) As said other comments, skills costing 1 source point, also cost 3 memory slots... Too High price.
- 4) Some skill costing source are not game breaker. ex : Walk in shadows
- Combining 2, 3 and 4, some skills are not enough valuable and wouldnt be used. Cant let this happen :p.
IV/ Recommandations :
- Make point source rarely => Modifying ways to get points :
* Delete the vampirism/item skill (or modify it, see * 4#) => not making the game fluent
* Soul Jar : OK but you can have 6 source points in illusionist cavern, it's too much. Why not only 1 like in Fort Joy ? Moreover, you can choose to break the jar or absorbing source point (= get point source or experience). Actually there not enough difference, i think player always take source point.
* Puddle of source : Ok
* As said Ichthyic, it will be interesting to get point source by :
- killing powerfull/uncommon ennemies charged by source, like Shrieker, donjon master, boss...
- maybe a talent : after killing X ennemies ...
- a special 'executionner' skill by class :
°no cost memory => more fluent game, you are a sourcerer damn ! U need it !
°but 4 or 5 AP; 10 turn recharge => Cost your whole turn. Yeah it's not priceless
°you can only have one active (avoiding getting 3 sources point on 1 ennemy)
°unlock instantly after breaking mute source necklace ? in books?
°use : if you kill a source charged unit using this skill you get a point
°example for a thief : "Source Backstabbing" : If the target is less X% life, teleport you behind your target and execute it / deals XX dmg to it. And teleport you back. You gain 1 source point. Example for a Pyro mage : "Hell Sourcing" : You attract the inner source fire of your target body exploding and dealing XX dmg more XX if the target is burning ...etc
- Make use costs more higher, especially to access hidden treasure => See Facts 1). Lantern in vampire maze => 3 points, not 1 ...etc
- Rebalance skill cost, maybe a little bit more powerfull for certain / remove source cost for other ?
Player must think : "Okay, i cant win this fight if i dont use these points, but maybe there is a treasure just after i could get ?" "What should i do ? Nooo *Damn* I should have used it ! Oh i find a new point => lets try this old way... Epic ! Nice !"
Hope my comments help you. Ready to discuss about it more deeply. Thank so much for that game. Work done deserve a lot of congratulations...